OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Unfortunately, the Leafs can also choose who they play in round one and there’s no doubt they’d prefer Boston.

Florida will injure your players even if you get by them.

Reactions: The Gongshow

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Torts pulling the goalie tied 1-1 saw wings losing. Miraculously wings tied it with 3 seconds left and washington scored an empty net goal to get in playoffs lol

Yeah every owner from the sale is going to get a pie of 300 million to split
I think the engagement on Smith's post asking for team names is a bit concerning. 3.8m views, but only 1.2k comments, 441 retweets, and 783 likes.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Arizona news probably coming over the next few days.

The Board of Governors have a Zoom meeting tomorrow, and after that is when it's expected they'll announce the Coyotes are moving.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Because of Elon Musk turning Twitter into a shithole, I come across people like this on a daily basis and I really don't like it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

They'll also be the 'Utah'...whatevers.
“So, we’ll start with ‘Utah’ on the jersey, and we’ll figure out the logo and everything else and what it is that we are. But that’s a one-way door. You get to do it once. And with this timeline, I think both the League feels better and we feel better to just run the process, and then we’ll drop it when we drop it.”

How long will that take?

“Look, I don’t think it’s a 24-month process,” he said. “It’s a placeholder, but it’s kind of not a placeholder, because we’re going to be ‘Utah’ either way, right? We have the first part of the name. We don’t have the last.”

I get that there's a lot to figure out with a new team name, but leaving them unnamed is going to steer them towards the Yeti. It's not like the PWHL where they don't really have any favored nicknames.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Are you guys watching Mackinnon 7 points performance tonight to prove ge is the best player in the league? Both teams are going to play with out a goalie.

Because of Elon Musk turning Twitter into a shithole, I come across people like this on a daily basis and I really don't like it.

That would be the most mtl thing ever. Two guys on the top line that need other guys to do the dirty work, get the pucks, pass it to them to score , and mixed with an underperforming 1st overall pick. Now reality why would Stamkos or zegras go to mtl?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The way things seem to go, it'll more than likely be one of these three names (HC works for next season). Fury sounds like an MLS or off-brand pro football team.

Last edited:

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Are you guys watching Mackinnon 7 points performance tonight to prove ge is the best player in the league? Both teams are going to play with out a goalie.

That would be the most mtl thing ever. Two guys on the top line that need other guys to do the dirty work, get the pucks, pass it to them to score , and mixed with an underperforming 1st overall pick. Now reality why would Stamkos or zegras go to mtl?

Oilers icing their AHL team tonight mack might end up with 4 or 5 tbh.. they also left Stuart skinner in net to get exposed before the playoffs which is a odd move

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
Edmonton couldn’t be anymore obvious. Kuch stole McDavid’s spotlight with the 100 assists last night.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
It can't be happening the "west is so much better " even though they have all four the cellar dwellers in hockey.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
You’d think somebody trying to get a NHL team and locate it in SLC has thought about names and logos before. Kinda disappointed that they’ll do a placeholder for a season or two although I get that time is not on their side.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You’d think somebody trying to get a NHL team and locate it in SLC has thought about names and logos before. Kinda disappointed that they’ll do a placeholder for a season or two although I get that time is not on their side.
There's too much precedent now. Washington Football Club. The PWHL.

It's showing that it won't hurt attendance, and they get to sell merch twice.

Smith seems to like singular names. Venom. Blizzard. Fury.

Yeti and Swarm would fit that scheme.

Smith has talked to the league for two years. Both the Kraken and Golden Knights did extensive searches, and have vetted names already. Utah has access to mascotdb and any number of dictionaries.

It's not disappointing because they're so far from a name, but that they're likely so close.

My own preference ranking for those five I've listed.

1. Swarm
2. Blizzard
3. Yeti
4. Venom
5. Fury

Swarm lends itself to black and yellow, although the NHL already has the Bruins and Penguins in those colors. They'd need to add a color in there. That'd also be the third insect mascot in the league, besides Bunderthug and Stinger. The downsides to the name are that Swarm feels a bit weird to say, IMO, and it's not immediately clear what that even is. It's like how it took a while for the Minnesota Wild name to settle in.

In the meantime, they should probably use the NHL logo colors. Black, silver, white. Every choice will get read into.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad