OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Anson Carter's group is a different one from Forsyth County (although Forsyth doesn't seem to have any named potential owners attached so far).

It feels like the NHL is about to open the expansion process.

In order to get the most expansion money, they'd go one team at a time, but Forsyth needs an NHL commitment in order to start using public money for the development. That would indicate Atlanta would be allowed in several years before they started playing.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

so that would be Utah, Atlanta, Houston, Kansas City, and San Diego. 37 teams.

We're going to 40. Charlotte, Portland, Cincinnati, Austin, Indianapolis, San Francisco, etc. would probably be 3 of the next 4.

I feel like, based on markets, the NHL could get to 42-44ish without repeating cities (I'm counting SF and SJ as two).

A San Diego AHL affiliate would be interesting. Yuma, AZ, or buying the Coachella Valley Firebirds from Seattle would fit. The idea of Tijuana, Mexico has to come up, although it's unlikely.

edit: Yuma for the ECHL. It doesn't have the population for an AHL city. Fresno will get a team again at some point (it's bigger than Buffalo), although I kind of have that in mind for SF/SJ or Anaheim.

Carlsbad, Escondido, or Temecula would fit geographically for San Diego. I haven't looked into SD as closely as other rumored cities, so I'm mostly just putting names out there.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I might make it to the NHL at that point.
I'm okay with a steady rate of expansion, but owners tend to be on the older side, and they may not want to wait 20 years. That does make me concerned about temporary dilution (although it also creates more goals).

I did sort of a mock expansion draft gradually during intermissions and other lulls a few weeks ago. There are enough goalies and defensemen for another team. Forwards are a bit thin.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Anson Carter's group is a different one from Forsyth County (although Forsyth doesn't seem to have any named potential owners attached so far).

This the answer I got to my question about the Forsyth bid

So is Krause the developer-in-name only, or did he formally say he is also the ownership front as well? I just assumed it was both all this time. It’ll go a long way knowing… now that NPM is back on the menu
Krause is both developer and prospective owner, yes. Krause also owns the land in Forsyth County where he would build his facility.

Carter and his group are completely separate from Krause, with an eye on the North Point Mall location. I think this is why so many redevlopments of the site had been turned down previously, because the city knew Carter and his group is interested.

Who wins out is really anyone's guess.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This the answer I got to my question about the Forsyth bid

Krause is both developer and prospective owner, yes. Krause also owns the land in Forsyth County where he would build his facility.

Carter and his group are completely separate from Krause, with an eye on the North Point Mall location. I think this is why so many redevlopments of the site had been turned down previously, because the city knew Carter and his group is interested.

Who wins out is really anyone's guess.
It doesn't really help that the media (that I've seen) rarely even mentions the Krause name when reporting on the Forsyth development. (typical national story: Forsyth arena developer hopes to bring NHL team to Atlanta metro)

As for who gets the Atlanta team, probably Anson Carter. Krause would have to really impress the NHL.

I've also seen on here that the Anson Carter Alpharetta site makes more sense.

It's kind of weird for a competing bid to not up the ante. Where's their hockey guy/celebrity to bring credibility?

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I looked a bit more into a San Diego affiliation. I don't know why I didn't think of it as I was just looking at it, but the Padres are affiliated with AAA El Paso, TX.

The Seawolves (or whatever they're called) could tap into the same travel setup as the Padres.

It's not entirely unheard of. Nashville/Milwaukee are affiliated in MLB and NHL, as well as the much more local Philly/Lehigh Valley.

Of course, they could call the San Diego team the Admirals, and affiliate with Milwaukee and Norfolk to get an Admirals-Admirals-Admirals affiliation. (San Diego is a navy town)

San Diego could put another AHL team in the Inland Empire, or Fresno, but Rio Rancho, NM is another possibility.

I haven't given much thought to the schedules or playoffs (which will expand at some point). Bye rounds could become a necessity, as well as leaving the divisional format behind.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The USports third place game is live.

It's Toronto Met vs McGill at Matamy (Toronto Met's Arena, formerly Maple Leafs Gardens)

Despite being covered by CBC Sports, and a home game for one of the teams competing, the game is nearly empty.

But sure, Toronto 2, Hamilton, and Saskatoon in the NHL.

The Saskatoon Blades (children's hockey team) can fill almost 1/3rd of the Sasktel Center, and Saskatoon is the worldwide headquarters of Robin Hood Flour, so there's corporate support.

A Canadian dollar also gets you almost .75 US cents, so you know they'll be able to keep up when the NHL cap rises to $200 million.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Detroit is falling apart, 7 game losing streak. Maybe Buffalo makes it?
Buffalo will end the season on like an 8 game win streak, miss the playoffs by 3 points, just so their fans can get their hopes up for next year just to do the same all over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad