Movies: Army Of The Dead (directed by Zack Snyder)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's not like it really did much. It had a couple of scenes, ate a guy and that was that.

The movie establishes it's going to be stupid more or less immediately, which can be okay for the genre. I'm not expecting Citizen Kane, but I don't need to get beaten over the head with the stupid stick every thirty seconds either. The entire premise is idiotic. So you're going into zombie-infested Las Vegas to break open a safe full of cash, then haul the cash up to the roof, load it onto a helicopter that hasn't flown in years, and fly off. Uh-huh. How much does millions of dollars in cash weigh? How much do eight or nine people weigh? What's the load capacity of a busted-ass Huey that hasn't flown in years? Just plain stupid.

And I can't imagine what this would be like on a theatrical screen. Half the movie is closeups of Dave Bautista. In a theatre, you'd be spending like an hour with a fifty foot-high Dave Bautista head looming down on you.

The plan was obviously comical - would have made more sense to plan to ride out with their loot on the zombie tiger - but this flick was so predictable and cliched.

It’s hard to fathom how someone writes a movie like this and doesn’t realize they are being lazy and painting by all the numbers.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

The entire premise is idiotic. So you're going into zombie-infested Las Vegas to break open a safe full of cash, then haul the cash up to the roof, load it onto a helicopter that hasn't flown in years, and fly off. Uh-huh. How much does millions of dollars in cash weigh? How much do eight or nine people weigh? What's the load capacity of a busted-ass Huey that hasn't flown in years? Just plain stupid.

I was curious and actually looked it up while watching it. $200M cash weighs 2 tonnes if it's all $100 bills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I was curious and actually looked it up while watching it. $200M cash weighs 2 tonnes if it's all $100 bills.

I've worked in commercial printing now for the last 15 years, and it always amuses me to see how few people know how much paper actually weighs. Heist movies or scenes are always annoying to me; like remember in the Dark Knight where the Joker and his minions are robbing the mob bank and tossing around duffel bags full of money like they're nothing? Yeah, in real life a duffel bag full of actual money weighs like 200 lbs.

Also entertaining is hearing certain election fraud theories from certain people down south that require the ballot fairy to make pallets full of paper appear and disappear at will.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Finished watching it yesterday - solidly enjoyable flick. Not genre defining by any means, but I had fun.

The pros - the cast. In particular, Dave Bautista. Pardon the pun, but I was pleasantly surprised to watch him sink his teeth into this role. He brought a lot of depth and emotion to it. But the whole cast was pretty strong.

My favorite setpiece was definitely the "hybernating" sequence. Terrific suspense. Also, the opening credits were really nicely done - as with his remake of the Dawn of the Dead, did a really nice job of telling a story in a short, stylish way.

The cons - it was a bit bloated. A lot of teasing about this undead society that felt like mystery boxes were being set up and then discarded. Also fell victim to a Lord of the Rings-esque "too many endings" bit.

Very minor nitpick - Snyder played a lot with his camera focus on this one (characters wandering in and out of focus). It became quite noticeable as the movie's considerable run time ran on.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, I watched it... sort of. I started it and said "this is stupid" and "what is this" enough times in the first 15 minutes that I decided to do something else while I left it on in the background. I then returned and gave it my attention for the last 15 minutes. It felt like I didn't miss anything. It just seemed so loud and dumb. The characters were unlikable, such that I started to wonder if we were supposed to cheer when they died. The movie didn't seem to have any rules. Some characters turned into zombies after 10 seconds and some not for 10 hours. The CGI explosions looked incredibly fake. In fact, just about everything looked fake. The camera focus seemed amateur. Zack Snyder was responsible for the cinematography, story, screenplay, production and direction. It's as if he wanted to waste the studio's money on an ego project. I don't get what people like about him. He seems to me like a less talented Michael Bay, both having started out in music videos and gone on to make loud, long, effects-heavy crowd pleasers. At least Bay mostly stuck to directing, though, and didn't dip his fingers into every aspect of production because he thought that he could do everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It was just ok. I thought it was gonna be a lot better, but it was watchable I guess. It was almost like Escape from LA/NY with a bloated budget, and that's fine, I loved those movies.

They did a decent job working in Tig Notaro even though she filmed (almost?) all of her scenes without anybody else. I was left wondering if her character had the same lines as what Delias character would have had, because I can't picture Delia in that role at all.

Opening credits were great. The limited action sequences were pretty good as well. My favorite character was the German kid, wish they would have put more focus on him.

As soon as they opened the safe, did anybody watching NOT immediately think, "ok...and HOW do they get all of that into a beat up chopper and get out?" That was a huge miss, but it's a mindless zombie thriller, so I let it slide. Also what the hell happened to Geeta? Did I look away from the screen for 3 seconds and miss something here?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Also what the hell happened to Geeta? Did I look away from the screen for 3 seconds and miss something here?

She would've been in he front of the chopper with Delia when they filmed it originally. Maybe she wasn't available to re-shoot anything with Notaro of Snyder just didn't bother?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
She would've been in he front of the chopper with Delia when they filmed it originally. Maybe she wasn't available to re-shoot anything with Notaro of Snyder just didn't bother?

I assumed she died in the crash, but I don't recall really ever seeing her after shit went sideways in the flight out

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad