Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no solutions, only problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My next question becomes who will be the Flames 4C next year? Because I doubt Dube is ready, and I wouldn't trust Lazar to hold that spot down.

Real question is who will be the 2C. Part of me wonders if we move Bennett and Jankowski to 2C/3C and let Backs go.

I don’t know if we can justify 6 million a year with his play this year if that’s what he wants.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Real question is who will be the 2C. Part of me wonders if we move Bennett and Jankowski to 2C/3C and let Backs go.

I don’t know if we can justify 6 million a year with his play this year if that’s what he wants.

I think if he wants 6 you still sign him since we have the room next year. Then you look at moving him if you’re going to need the space. A lot of teams would want backlund at 6mil and it beats letting him walk for nothing

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just curious as to what others think, but will Lazar be a part of this teams future? Do you seem him as an eventual regular?
He's only 22, and power forwards need to learn to use their size more effectively. He should have been doing that in the minors, and could probably be sent down without significant fear of another team putting in a waiver claim.

That said, he's starting to look a lot like Jason Wiemer without the grit. That's not a very useful NHL player.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Biggest issue with Lazar is an inability to get into the midrange scoring areas and get pucks on net. He's too north-south, in this league you need to be eight-directional.

That said, he hasn't been that terrible lately, in fact he had a huge part in Brouwer's goal a few games ago. He's definitely a step down from Jagr, Stajan, and a healthy Versteeg though. About on par with Brouwer, depending on what poison you pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

That's a lot to expect out of guys who are projected to get about 35 and 25 points this year and that is with them supposedly having a lot "chemistry."

I would prefer to keep Bennett on the wing and move him up to play with better linemates. Jankowski should be moving down the line-up not up.

As for Backlund if he is asking for too much I think that is time to get a new center for cheaper and think about OKG's dream of splitting up Monhan and Gaudreau to create two lesser lines and split up the offense a bit.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's only 22, and power forwards need to learn to use their size more effectively. He should have been doing that in the minors, and could probably be sent down without significant fear of another team putting in a waiver claim.

That said, he's starting to look a lot like Jason Wiemer without the grit. That's not a very useful NHL player.

He's honestly a guy who should have been on the Klimchuk/Poirier/Shinkaruk development path versus thrust into the NHL at a young age. It screwed up his curve for sure.

I like the energy, speed and drive he brings when he plays. I still think there's a solid bottom 6 player to be had there; but he's more of a project than a no-doubt-about'er.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I’ve been thinking about the Backlund situation for a while. I think any team that gives him anywhere close to c

I agree on Backlund, I think $4.95 is the absolute max I’d go. Anyone that pays him $6 million will be disappointed

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Neither Janko nor Backlund has looked better than you the last 15 games. Not 15, not 82, not ever.

source.gif

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So let's say Backlund prices himself too high. Flames let him walk. Bennett and Janks take the #2/3 C roles. That does give Calgary some flexibility for cap space. How do they use it? Or perhaps Frolik gets used at center?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I really hope they don't plan using Bennett at C anymore. If they don't re-sign Backlund, I'd prefer Monahan-Jankowski-UFA. Keep Gaudreau-Monahan and Bennett-Jankowski pairs, add Tkachuk to which line he better fits.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
So let's say Backlund prices himself too high. Flames let him walk. Bennett and Janks take the #2/3 C roles. That does give Calgary some flexibility for cap space. How do they use it? Or perhaps Frolik gets used at center?
I think the dreams of Bennett being a centre are over. We’d have to replace him. Dvorak would be one of my top targets. Hasn’t really hit it big yet, has high end potential and has had success with Tkachuk before.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Backlund walks, our centre depth is screwed. We have no assets to trade to replace him in that position and I don't wanna see Jankowski and Bennett split up or Treliving go for another UFA.

Treliving has always preached about building from the centre out and at the end of the day I think it gets done. But this might be the first time when Treliving has a lot less leverage going into a contract negotiation. I think Backlund gets a 6x6 deal

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think if he wants 6 you still sign him since we have the room next year. Then you look at moving him if you’re going to need the space. A lot of teams would want backlund at 6mil and it beats letting him walk for nothing

You don't sign someone to a high price just because someone else would. Backlund is a solid two-way center, but at that price... I think Calgary would regret it. It's also much easier said than done to simply sign him and trade him later. It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. He's not a 6 million dollar player. He is, however, a solid #2 center who can handle the hard defensive minutes. I guess it'll come down to whether or not they think Jankowski can handle that role, and if they're either...

A. Comfortable moving Bennett back to C. (Preferably not)
B. Looking at a outside option for the 3C role.

I'd still opt to keep Backlund around, but I still want to see Tkachuk on the 2nd line with Bennett and Jankowski, regardless of how it all plays out. Keep Backlund and Frolik together.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Tkachuk
??? - Backlund - Frolik
??? - Lazar - Brouwer

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames simply can't afford to let Backlund walk given their current status as a bubble playoff team with no first round pick. It'd be absolutely horrendous asset management. It'd be different if they were leading the division and/or battling it out for the president's trophy; then he'd be their own rental so to say, but they're not. So if they decide to cheap out on re-signing him, they absolutely have to trade him. Perhaps ideally to the Islanders for Calgary's first round and second round picks back but I don't know if they need another centre.

In terms of free agency, there's Tavares, Thornton, Stastny and Backlund. So in other words, realistically, it's Backlund. Trade options are thin unless the Flames want to give up D.Hamilton.

But I also disagree that Backlund isn't worth a 6x6 type of deal. Turris just got that and Backlund is arguably better. In this day and age, a center that can reliably put up ~50 points while providing elite defensive play is well worth that.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Backlund hasn’t shown very well this year. I’m hoping for something around 4.5 for 7. Give him the extra year to drop the AAV. Front load it pretty hard and will have the option of moving him later on or having options from the new CBA.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't see the comparables for Backlund to get 6 million after Turris signing for that much. I think Backlund is worth it but offensive players make more money than defensive players and right now Backlund is currently on pace for 45 points where as Turris is almost a point a game. 3M having a slightly down offensive season could end up really helping us I see Backlund resigning for 4.8-5.5 million for 5 or 6 years.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
You don't sign someone to a high price just because someone else would. Backlund is a solid two-way center, but at that price... I think Calgary would regret it. It's also much easier said than done to simply sign him and trade him later. It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. He's not a 6 million dollar player. He is, however, a solid #2 center who can handle the hard defensive minutes. I guess it'll come down to whether or not they think Jankowski can handle that role, and if they're either...

A. Comfortable moving Bennett back to C. (Preferably not)
B. Looking at a outside option for the 3C role.

I'd still opt to keep Backlund around, but I still want to see Tkachuk on the 2nd line with Bennett and Jankowski, regardless of how it all plays out. Keep Backlund and Frolik together.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Tkachuk
??? - Backlund - Frolik
??? - Lazar - Brouwer

I think obviously you push to get him under 6. Treliving has shown to be very good at contract negotiations. That being said I don’t think there’d be any difficulty moving him at 6. Teams desperate for centers like Montreal would definitely give a decent return, which beats letting him walk for nothing

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think obviously you push to get him under 6. Treliving has shown to be very good at contract negotiations. That being said I don’t think there’d be any difficulty moving him at 6. Teams desperate for centers like Montreal would definitely give a decent return, which beats letting him walk for nothing

I'm worried some teams might offer 6+ for him. With the cap going up, some teams like Montreal could get desperate and start tossing big dollars around

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I'm worried some teams might offer 6+ for him. With the cap going up, some teams like Montreal could get desperate and start tossing big dollars around

That’s the problem with free agency. Ideally they can lock him up for 5-6 years at a contract that’s either favorable to keep or reasonable enough to move before July 1. Does anyone know what the status of negotiations are? Did they decide to shelve it for the season?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Backlund has been playing like Backlund, but he isn't generating the offensive numbers that he's capable of.

That's fantastic news for the Flames in a sense, because every game he goes without a point helps the contract negotiation at this point.

Reactions: Skobel24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad