Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2021-2022 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Why? We already have Hanifin, Zadorov, Valimaki, Mackey + Kylington down the left side. No reason for another middling LD, unless we trade/don't sign one.
I consider Murray to be an upgrade over Zad, Valimaki, Mackey, and Kylington.
I honestly don't believe any of those four players deserves a permanent spot playing LD on the 2nd pairing. Maybe in the future, one or more may deserve that spot but right now? No.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I consider Murray to be an upgrade over Zad, Valimaki, Mackey, and Kylington.
I honestly don't believe any of those four players deserves a permanent spot playing LD on the 2nd pairing. Maybe in the future, one or more may deserve that spot but right now? No.
Given Murray's injury history, it's also extremely questionable if a GM would ever rely on him enough to pencil him into a top 4 spot either. Also, none of those guys are waiver exempt anymore, so unless there's a trade or we let one or two of them walk, it is what it is on the left side. We just traded for Zad, so it seems fairly unlikely.

Last edited:

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Depends on perceived value of Monahan around the league. Sounds like some teams (Minnesota) aren't very high on him, despite desperately needing top 6 centers.

I would imagine it's quite possible that Buffalo feels similarly.

Monahan
Kylington
Zary
2022 1st
2022 3rd

I would think something like that would be needed if Monahan was centerpiece

I’d do that.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Given Murray's injury history, it's also extremely questionable if a GM would ever rely on him enough to pencil him into a top 4 spot either. Also, none of those guys are waiver exempt anymore, so unless there's a trade or we let one or two of them walk, it is what it is on the left side. We just traded for Zad, so it seems fairly unlikely.
As I said previously I think the team is better with a 50-60 game Murray than 82 games without.
As for being waiver exempt, Mackey is waiver exempt and I see no issues with Kylington clearing waivers... again.
That leaves
  1. Hanifin
  2. Murray
  3. Valimaki
  4. Zad
on the left side and Zad can also play RD

I see the following pairings

Hanifin - Tanev
Murray - Andersson
Valimaki - Zadorov

I think thats a much better defense than

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki/Zadorov-Andersson
Zadorov/Mackey/Kylington-Welinski/Zadorov

Frankly, the above pairings without Murray, don't inspire a lot of confidence in me. I think its awful.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
As I said previously I think the team is better with a 50-60 game Murray than 82 games without.
As for being waiver exempt, Mackey is waiver exempt and I see no issues with Kylington clearing waivers... again.
That leaves
  1. Hanifin
  2. Murray
  3. Valimaki
  4. Zad
on the left side and Zad can also play RD

I see the following pairings

Hanifin - Tanev
Murray - Andersson
Valimaki - Zadorov

I think thats a much better defense than

Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki/Zadorov-Andersson
Zadorov/Mackey/Kylington-Welinski/Zadorov

Frankly, the above pairings without Murray, don't inspire a lot of confidence in me. I think its awful.
My mistake, thought we signed Mackey for two years and burnt one in the bubble. Regardless, no its not an inspiring back end but I don't think signing Murray, especially to a multi-year improves that significantly.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
My mistake, thought we signed Mackey for two years and burnt one in the bubble. Regardless, no its not an inspiring back end but I don't think signing Murray, especially to a multi-year improves that significantly.
Unless they are tanking, they need depth
My bet is BT will sign another dman, Murray or somebody else.

As is, they are one injury from being the front runner for the Wright lottery

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Unless they are tanking, they need depth
My bet is BT will sign another dman, Murray or somebody else.

As is, they are one injury from being the front runner for the Wright lottery
I wouldn't be surprised to see a RD, on a expiring contract. It still doesn't change anything, just another middling guy, on the high end of their pay scale, when what we really lack is high end talent on the backend. Wasted cap that won't impact the outcome, IMO.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised to see a RD, on a expiring contract. It still doesn't change anything, just another middling guy, on the high end of their pay scale, when what we really lack is high end talent on the backend. Wasted cap that won't impact the outcome, IMO.

Agreed. Obviously but when you are poor, you can’t afford filet mignon, only chicken leg lol

Reactions: Rockmorton

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Agreed. Obviously but when you are poor, you can’t afford filet mignon, only chicken leg lol
Yeah, but when you already have all sorts of chicken legs, there's no point in buying another 3-4 year supply

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We're not gonna see Eichel traded till training camp aren't we?

The longer the Sabres wait the worse it gets, it holds off Eichel from getting his surgery which impacts when he can start next year or even if he can start at all. And if they don't trade him and keep him and neither side caves into what procedure he gets, it damages their relationship beyond repair.

For example, if they wait until training camp to trade him and he still hasn't had the surgery then that 1st in the trade package becomes a 2nd because the 1st is just too valuable with the season and rosters set.

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
Don`t get me wrong here, but I wouldn`t sign Eicheb before he gets his surgery done.
I wouldn`t give up picks and players for a player with a pending surgery like that. Do your surgery then we can talk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The dream is dying

I'm honestly happy I have an NFL fantasy draft later this week that I can waste my time doing something else :laugh:
Rolling through Twitter to find anything was getting old.

Crazy that his agent says: Trade us ASAP, and we can get surgery and be ready for camp.
And someone like Tre is still waiting.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm honestly happy I have an NFL fantasy draft later this week that I can waste my time doing something else :laugh:

Crazy that his agent says: Trade us ASAP, and we can get surgery and be ready for camp.
Maybe Mr Big Oil vetoed it because $10 million dollars.
They're obviously going to try to Sutter their way deep into the playoffs like Montreal. With a squad of lesser thans. Squad doesn't look so bad right now actually...

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I find it funny that you read an article saying Buffalo is f***ing up the situation and you somehow blame Brad?

Like, don't get me wrong, my appreciation for Brad is at an all time low, but the fact NOBODY has traded for him points less on Brad and more on Adams.

Reactions: Boomstick
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig