Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2018/19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So we should expect Lindholm & Hanifin to be resigned here pretty quick right? I can't imagine Treliving goes into Free Agency without having the FA's locked up.

I actually think Tre can get Lindholm for below $5m. He just always seems to be able to undercut what the broad expectations are.

Reactions: Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
So we should expect Lindholm & Hanifin to be resigned here pretty quick right? I can't imagine Treliving goes into Free Agency without having the FA's locked up.

I actually think Tre can get Lindholm for below $5m. He just always seems to be able to undercut what the broad expectations are.
I think we get a deal soon for under $10M for both players. Something like 4.5-4.75M for Elias and something similar like 4-4.25 for Noah.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think we get a deal soon for under $10M for both players. Something like 4.5-4.75M for Elias and something similar like 4-4.25 for Noah.
Even before they were traded, seeing Lindy's camp wanted $5.5m, I was thinking to myself "Tre could do it at $4.75m!"

Reactions: Janks

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Even before they were traded, seeing Lindy's camp wanted $5.5m, I was thinking to myself "Tre could do it at $4.75m!"

Yup, if there is anything Tre is one of the best at, it's quality signings. I expect more of a discount than most are expecting. Probably played into why he traded for two young RFAs, probably is pretty confident he can lock them up on great contracts.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m kinda thinking we lock both of them up long term 6 years @$5 million for Lindholm and 6 years @ $5.4 for Hanifin.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yup, if there is anything Tre is one of the best at, it's quality signings. I expect more of a discount than most are expecting. Probably played into why he traded for two young RFAs, probably is pretty confident he can lock them up on great contracts.
I'd give Hanifin a bridge deal, because he is so young even a 7 year deal will make him a UFA at 28 and even a 4 year deal makes him a 25 year old UFA

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Aug 3, 2010
As a reminder (per Calgary Flames - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) the Flames have roughly 24.5m in cap space (assuming 79.5m cap) after the Hamilton/Lindholm+Hanifin trade, with a total of 10 UFAs and 13 RFAs.

UFAs
Forwards: Tanner Glass, Chris Stewart, Kris Versteeg, Marek Hrivik, Matt Stajan, Luke Gazdic

Defence: Matt Bartkowski, Tyler Wotherspoon, Cody Goloubef, Dalton Prout

RFAs (*with arbitration eligibility)
Forwards: Elias Lindholm*, Nick Shore*, Garnet Hathaway*, Mark Jankowski*, Austin Carroll*, Hunter Shinkaruk, Morgan Klimchuk, Hunter Smith, Emile Poirier

Defence: Brett Kulak*, Noah Hanifin

Goaltenders: David Rittich*, Jon Gillies

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If you sign a guy like JVR and Rieder for depth. We could push Lindholm into our 2nd line center spot:

Gaudreau-Monahan-JVR
Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Reider-Backlund-Frolik (nice shut down line)
XXX-Janko-XXX

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I’m kinda thinking we lock both of them up long term 6 years @$5 million for Lindholm and 6 years @ $5.4 for Hanifin.
Ah yes, the patented Edmonton Oilers Bridge Contract (TM). I'd prefer to give them more shorter term, and sign them to long term deals in 2-3 years (while they're still RFA)

As for JVR 6x7 is likely the minimum. I think the Oshie / Okposo deals are good comparables, with inflation added due to salary cap increase.

Reactions: Rockmorton

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'd give Hanifin a bridge deal, because he is so young even a 7 year deal will make him a UFA at 28 and even a 4 year deal makes him a 25 year old UFA

Yeah, bit of clarity on my part...Wasn't calling for long term deals for both, just saying I think both signings will be something we are very happy with. Zero reason to give Hanifin the long term deal given his age.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ah yes, the patented Edmonton Oilers Bridge Contract (TM). I'd prefer to give them more shorter term, and sign them to long term deals in 2-3 years (while they're still RFA)

As for JVR 6x7 is likely the minimum. I think the Oshie / Okposo deals are good comparables, with inflation added due to salary cap increase.
I don’t know. How much does a 24 year old defenseman, with a couple 40 point seasons under his belt command as an RFA?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
What are we going to be doing at the Free Agency? Do we have room to sign a 'bigger name'? Neal type of guy? With the comments I am reading about Lindholm playing top line, I would think we will make a depth signing for the bottom 6 and nothing top 6.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don’t know. How much does a 24 year old defenseman, with a couple 40 point seasons under his belt command as an RFA?
Depends how quickly you want him to be a UFA. It's not about the dollars, its about the term, and balance between the two. I would prefer to have cost control for longer term - leading to a shorter bridge deal. I'd offer 3 years, $16 million. He'd still be RFA after the deal ends, at which point you get him locked up for 8 years. If he trends up, he likely gets close to $8x8

At the same time if you can sign him to a sweeter deal for longer term of course you have to consider it, and risk UFA sooner.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't someone from the front office specifically state that we're signing someone to help our PP? Doesn't sound like Grabner to me. JVR is a possibility, but I'd hope we're looking for a trigger-man more than a winger version of Monahan.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Didn't someone from the front office specifically state that we're signing someone to help our PP? Doesn't sound like Grabner to me. JVR is a possibility, but I'd hope we're looking for a trigger-man more than a winger version of Monahan.
So Neal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad