Armchair GM: Offseason Roster Moves and Rumors

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Your analysis seems to be assuming a zero-sum game in which keeping Nylander means missing out on someone else. I do not think this is a fair or accurate assumption.

Please stop trying to explain what MY “analysis” is on things. Stick to your opinions, and you know, maybe try to actually try talking some hockey and express what YOU think, instead of just attacking other people’s opinions, personality, and posting style.

I literally don’t understand what you mean by “zero-sum” in this context OR what you mean by “missing out on someone”. You are seemingly making things up to dismiss an opinion I don’t share. As usual.

It’s this simple. The team still needs to change how it’s built. Nylander adds nothing the team doesn’t already have. I THINK -over the past handful of years- the Columbus Blue Jackets are and have been built TERRIBLY. And the things have all been clear and easy to see.

1) Goaltending/Elvis, nothing more to say.

2) NO Centers. Our total number or overall quality of centers has literally been bottom-5 in the league, at best. Jenner and Voronkov now, and Fantilli in the future. Maybe Johnson and Sillinger in 4 years.

3) Overabundance of SOFT/offensive minded wingers. Hand in hand with our lack of centers, has been our issue of having too many wingers who play the essentially the same way.

4) Overabundance of offensive minded (or bad defensive) defenseman.

And another issue has been “leadership”, or you want me to be more frank, BALLS. The team (as a whole) -even still- barely has any balls. With all the hate that’s been thrown Gudbranson’s way, it’s crazy how quickly people forget just HOW SOFT this team was before Gud/Olivier. It’s not about “fighting”, it’s about the mindset you bring to the ice shift after shift.

We have needed AND STILL NEED to address all these issues. Nylander does NOTHING to help the ACTUAL problems with the team. Ignoring what some are openly expressing about him “breaking out”, we still have a plethora of the same type of players, that I’m assuming and hoping, people think should be better options for ice time over Nylander, whether that’s for winning games right now/next year or taking “development” into account.

To answer some past comments/questions regarding why we could/should keep him. Even moving on from 1-2-3 of these “offensive minded” wingers who I categorize Nylander with, along with the assumption that a center or different style winger would be acquired, we STILL have enough offensive talent that Nylander is 100% unneeded. Do people want him taking time away from Chinakhov/Marchenko/Johnson/Fantilli/Brindley etc.?….or is that just something we want to bitch about in the future!?!

Even ignoring all those young guys that people seemingly always claim need opportunities and ice time, if you want to talk that the team overall needs Nylander’s offensive ability, then Patrik Laine needs to be addressed. This is a guy that is getting paid to be a “goal scorer”. Looking at the points and goals being scored across the league, that’s easily 40 goals that was pissed away as a team last year, so you can’t ignore that while looking at the teams GF number, and looking at Nylander’s goal scoring as a “need” in any way.

If people really think Nylander helps the team so much on offense, as he DOES NOT help in any other ways, then maybe we really need to reassess all the other offensive minded wingers that people are so high on.

(nitpick away)

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I know it’s a snowballs chance in hell but what if we could sign Stamkos to help with veteran presence to play 1st or 2nd line center? Say a 2 at most 3 year $5-6 mill??

I would think this type of veteran presence could help in the room? The problem is who do you take out?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I know it’s a snowballs chance in hell but what if we could sign Stamkos to help with veteran presence to play 1st or 2nd line center? Say a 2 at most 3 year $5-6 mill??

I would think this type of veteran presence could help in the room? The problem is who do you take out?
I feel like Laine or Gaudreau or both should be explored in moving as the new GM… Laine may want a fresh start away from a losing culture .. Gaudreau , Kj, Brindley, all smallish players , KJ more so with his frame , but I would imagine new GM is going to look at redundant pieces Jarmo has collected . Whether it’s smallish players , or all offensive defenseman , and start there .

Bobby Mac commented on this point yesterday , and said after Foligno left , there was a big leadership void . Perhaps that’s why Pascal only wanted Boone to be the voice in the room , but honestly if you have to prop them up to be seen as more of a leader , are you really the guy to be leading the room ? Speculation , just trying to make sense of Pascal not letting veterans have a voice , and knowing there is a leadership void that Boone has tried to grow into …

Honestly , you want to change the culture here , you bring in veterans like him that have won , let them teach your young team what it takes .

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

If that’s all he wants, he’s probably staying in tampa.

If he leaves Tampa he’s probably going to want to maximize the contract. (9 mill per? 8.5?) he just scored 40. The cap is going up. I can’t see him taking a massive discount unless it’s staying in Tampa.

No thanks on him anyway for me personally.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Stamkos is two things. He's a vocal leader, and he has an incredible shot on the PP (same role as Laine). He is not a good center and is actually a bad 5v5 player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bobby Mac commented on this point yesterday , and said after Foligno left , there was a big leadership void . Perhaps that’s why Pascal only wanted Boone to be the voice in the room , but honestly if you have to prop them up to be seen as more of a leader , are you really the guy to be leading the room ? Speculation , just trying to make sense of Pascal not letting veterans have a voice , and knowing there is a leadership void that Boone has tried to grow into …

Honestly , you want to change the culture here , you bring in veterans like him that have won , let them teach your young team what it takes .

Did Bobby Mac make any more specific comments about Boone, or what other leaders were allowed to do?

Just from Porty's podcast, my interpretation about the restraints on other leaders was more about managing interactions between veterans and young players. I think since 2020 or 2021 what's happened is that veterans haven't been allowed to be harsh with young players.

I didn't gather anything about propping Boone up.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Disregarding how he'd fit in, I don't think we'd have any chance to get him. He's either staying in Tampa or joining another playoff team, possibly on a discount.

I'd poke around Flyers for Couturier. He was real mad about Torts benching him in the middle of a playoff push, and now he has changed agents. Might be unrelated, but still above zero chance he's done with Flyers and pushing for a trade

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'd poke around Flyers for Couturier. He was real mad about Torts benching him in the middle of a playoff push, and now he has changed agents. Might be unrelated, but still above zero chance he's done with Flyers and pushing for a trade
He was drafted with the pick we sent with Jake for Carter, too. Bring that whole thing full circle now that Carter's retired. He could be a good holding place 1C until Fantilli is ready. On the other hand, his health is iffy and he's signed to a bear of a contract for six more seasons. And the agent he switched to is Brisson, and we all know how Brisson feels about Columbus.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Did Bobby Mac make any more specific comments about Boone, or what other leaders were allowed to do?

Just from Porty's podcast, my interpretation about the restraints on other leaders was more about managing interactions between veterans and young players. I think since 2020 or 2021 what's happened is that veterans haven't been allowed to be harsh with young players.

I didn't gather anything about propping Boone up.
No.. he was talking about how you change culture .. that’s when he talked about the drop off in veteran leaders as foligno and some of that core moved on. And that they now they are missing that leadership.

He said there are lots of redundant skills , smallish wingers , and they need more veteran glue guys instead of being one of youngest teams every year

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What are we looking for if we bring in a vet? A guy that can set the tone in the room and teach the young guys the right way to do things? That sounds like Stamkos to me. And the only reason he could be available is he is not the player he once was. Yet over-the-hill Stamkos still had 81 points in 79 games this season which would have been (checks notes) the third best season in Jackets history.

I’d throw a 3 x $9.5 million offer out there. (I don’t think Laine is coming back so we replace his wicked shot with Stamkos’.)

If Couturier was benched by Torts, is he a person we want???

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What are we looking for if we bring in a vet? A guy that can set the tone in the room and teach the young guys the right way to do things? That sounds like Stamkos to me. And the only reason he could be available is he is not the player he once was. Yet over-the-hill Stamkos still had 81 points in 79 games this season which would have been (checks notes) the third best season in Jackets history.

I’d throw a 3 x $9.5 million offer out there. (I don’t think Laine is coming back so we replace his wicked shot with Stamkos’.)

If Couturier was benched by Torts, is he a person we want???
I personally would live for the side-by-sides of Stamkos in a cannon jersey and Stamkos suckerpunching Fligs to unleash the crazy eyes from the sweep. I don't think it's likely, though. Who knows, maybe they hire Darche and he makes a nice case. Is it wise to bring in a power play merchant to an organization whose power play is pathetic no matter who the coach is, though?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I was thinking about upgrades for Utah and then I was like why not CBJ. In a market flush with some good D, what not something crazy like Pesce to play next to Zach.

Yeah I know we have a ton of RD. But that sure would get that 1RD we've lacked since Seth left.

• Love
Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I personally would live for the side-by-sides of Stamkos in a cannon jersey and Stamkos suckerpunching Fligs to unleash the crazy eyes from the sweep.
Fligs.jpg

Reactions: cslebn

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I was thinking about upgrades for Utah and then I was like why not CBJ. In a market flush with some good D, what not something crazy like Pesce to play next to Zach.

Yeah I know we have a ton of RD. But that sure would get that 1RD we've lacked since Seth left.
I could be convinced.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Unfortunately Pesce fell off a cliff this year. I'm not sure exactly why but Canes fans say he lost a step.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I check in on Recrutes every now and then to see what Grant McCagg has to say. It's either off the wall or very plugged in and prescient.

Mostly prescient I think with this Beckett Sennecke kid who looks like he might push his way into the top 10 of this draft.

Anyways McCagg is close with our Trevor Timmins, who as far as I know is still in the CBJ FO (Ville's assistant per the directory). Habs fans have speculated that it is through Timmins that McCagg was able to break several Habs moves and picks.

And what is up on the Recrutes site right now? An argument from McCagg that the Habs should pursue Laine.

Most likely Timmins isn't saying much to McCagg about Laine, I just want to make their connection known here.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Unfortunately Pesce fell off a cliff this year. I'm not sure exactly why but Canes fans say he lost a step.
Some of the metrics look like his offense cratered but D was okay. Haven't noticed him as much in the PO. But I'd say the same about Slavin for me.

Seems like Pesces defensive numbers are still in line over the last three years. That said, if this is the beginning of the end we don't want to be Philly getting Umberger.

If we could get an OTT style Methot to ride shotgun to Werenski though.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad