Armchair GM: Offseason Roster Moves and Rumors

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Boqvist should probably be traded, since he has a lot of value. I've seen some suggestions on Capfriendly where Florida and Columbus fans have wanted to trade him for Spencer Knight. If Florida were up for it, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Bean I'd expect to be traded for whatever draft pick they can get. Maybe a 5th or something like that.

If they can trade Provorov during the off-season at 50 % retained for at least a 1st, I'd be a happy fellow. If not, they can wait to the TDL and keep Mateychuk in the AHL.

I don't think Boqvist is a target - small offensive D, frequently injured. I just don't see it. And if there are some Florida fans trying to move Knight, you can guess why.

I'd be okay moving Bean if we keep Provorov or if we sign Dillon. Otherwise we have no real need to, he's a fine bottom pair D.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of Danforth or Kuraly to be traded at 50 % retained, especially Kuraly. Maybe move him with Provorov to Edmonton, Tampa or something?

I don't see why we would want to move Danforth or Kuraly, two of our key leaders, our few forecheckers.

Maybe I could see such a deal at the deadline. We won't get value in the summer regardless.

if Fantili can come in and slide Boone down i think we are in a better spot.

i would like to see us to take advantage of disgruntled players in other markets ( same way Vegas got jack eichel )

wouldn't mind seeing our line up with some game changers ( i feel like we have one of the best bottom 6 in the league )

Brady Tkachuk is certainly someone we want to make phone calls about. Anyone not named Fantilli is on the table.

year 1 of a new front office regime isn't going to be "compete for the playoffs" mode, it's going to be "identify the players we can build around" mode. the answer to that question is never going to be "this 30 year old 4th liner" – especially if those guys can be moved for draft capital.

as for the continuity piece, this roster:
  1. finished 29th and 31st the last two years
  2. already has a logjam
  3. will be overseen by a new hockey ops regime

I don't think you can move the team towards competing, even in a two year time frame, if we're yet again turning over 30% of our roster. 15% would work. Having a more predictable environment around the players gives them opportunities to play better. You brought this up with Gaudreau's revolving RWer, but it applies to all of our players, they can benefit from a more predictable environment.

Yes this is HF and not reality but cohesion and leadership are good things that we can think about as well. You can apply your brainpower to those questions.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Assuming we don't land Tkachuk or any big fish, and I'm guessing that we'll work with Laine on finding a new home:

Gaudreau - Jenner - Fantilli

I see Jenner as okayish for his role, if Fantilli can step up his scoring on the wing then that helps Gaudreau a lot. I don't believe that Fantilli should start out at center, to me this is the perfect role for him to start with.

Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko

Wasn't broken the first time

Johnson - Sillinger - Nylander

I'm happy to have Nylander back on a cheap 1 year deal. Sillinger I'd be fine with trading, but I'm assuming we'll keep him. It doesn't matter too much.

Texier - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier

Wasn't broken the first time. These guys outscored their opponents together, don't mess with it.

Malatesta and Brindley both look like they'll be pushing for ice time, I think they'll both be good soon. But more than likely they'll have plenty of opportunity during the year to take a job, injuries will happen. We don't need to pencil them in.

Werenski - Boqvist

This pairing worked until the injuries. I don't think Boqvist has trade value and we might as well see if he can have a more consistent healthy season.

Mateychuk - Severson

Mateychuk has 17 pts now in 7 WHL playoff games, and his defense is getting very strong. I think he's very ready. And Severson has looked good to me in the second half.

Dillon - Gudbranson
Bean

I'm assuming more even minutes and Dillon would help out of our shutdown game a lot. We need a better shutdown option to protect leads.

Brossoit
Greaves
Tarasov

Perhaps 25-30 games each. Brossoit always falls off in a starter's role but is a great 30 game goalie. There will be injuries as well. I'm guessing Elvis is bought out, it's hard to judge because it won't be for on-ice reasons, he's been okayish.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The logic you want to get rid of Nylander because of his shooting percentage being unsustainable is the reason no other team would trade for him.

Maybe we should Trade Tarasov too because his save percentage over the last month was unsustainable too. Even if his percentage came down to league average his value in a cheap contract makes it worth it.
Tarasov hasn't had a full summer of preparation, with the pitcher re-injured at the start of the season. Those are two different things.
Besides, and this is important, he is a talented goalie.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Assuming we don't land Tkachuk or any big fish, and I'm guessing that we'll work with Laine on finding a new home:

Gaudreau - Jenner - Fantilli

I see Jenner as okayish for his role, if Fantilli can step up his scoring on the wing then that helps Gaudreau a lot. I don't believe that Fantilli should start out at center, to me this is the perfect role for him to start with.

Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko

Wasn't broken the first time

Johnson - Sillinger - Nylander

I'm happy to have Nylander back on a cheap 1 year deal. Sillinger I'd be fine with trading, but I'm assuming we'll keep him. It doesn't matter too much.

Texier - Kuraly - Danforth
Olivier

Wasn't broken the first time. These guys outscored their opponents together, don't mess with it.

Malatesta and Brindley both look like they'll be pushing for ice time, I think they'll both be good soon. But more than likely they'll have plenty of opportunity during the year to take a job, injuries will happen. We don't need to pencil them in.

Werenski - Boqvist

This pairing worked until the injuries. I don't think Boqvist has trade value and we might as well see if he can have a more consistent healthy season.

Mateychuk - Severson

Mateychuk has 17 pts now in 7 WHL playoff games, and his defense is getting very strong. I think he's very ready. And Severson has looked good to me in the second half.

Dillon - Gudbranson
Bean

I'm assuming more even minutes and Dillon would help out of our shutdown game a lot. We need a better shutdown option to protect leads.

Brossoit
Greaves
Tarasov

Perhaps 25-30 games each. Brossoit always falls off in a starter's role but is a great 30 game goalie. There will be injuries as well. I'm guessing Elvis is bought out, it's hard to judge because it won't be for on-ice reasons, he's been okayish.
These are the exact lines I had before I decided to put Fantilli at center on line 3. At the moment these forward lines seem by far the most likely grouping we’ll see.

Maybe we’ll be able to put Celebrini somewhere. :naughty:

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tarasov hasn't had a full summer of preparation, with the pitcher re-injured at the start of the season. Those are two different things.
Theres literally 0 downside to signing Nylander unless somehow we're at max contracts(we're not)

In the best case, he breaks out as a true NHLer on what would likely be a close-to-league minimum for a year or two. In which case he's not taking a spot from a youngster if they can't beat him out for a spot then they don't belong in the NHL anyway.

Absolute worst-case scenario and he gets claimed by someone else.

Even if he's not shooting 20% and produces at an NHL level, he's now raised his value from a borderline worthless asset to potentially recouping another prospect or mid-round pick.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I have no idea who is core to this team, and that is the first thing to figure out for the new GM. Either start with the core and build a scheme around them or have a system and determine who is core.

If I were to pick a core I’d probably start with Fantilli, Werenski, the 2024 1st rounder, Mateychuk, Sillinger, and Marchenko. None of these guys have expressed displeasure with the team that I know of. Johnny Hockey and Severson are core because they have to be. Brindley and Malatesta seem to have great attitudes - I’d call them important pieces to keep but not core.

I totally understand why guys like Chinakhov, KJ, or Jiricek were frustrated by the prior regime. I would want to sit down with the guys who have expressed displeasure with the Jackets and truly decide where that comes from and why they chose to have it made public before I decide they are central pieces to what I want to build.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
When the injuries start, we need an 8th, 9th and 10th d man to call up. Christenson looked ok when he was up. Mateychuk and Jiricek could (should) go to Cleveland. Do we need Bean? Should we try to sneak him down to Cleveland at the end of camp?

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have no idea who is core to this team, and that is the first thing to figure out for the new GM. Either start with the core and build a scheme around them or have a system and determine who is core.

If I were to pick a core I’d probably start with Fantilli, Werenski, the 2024 1st rounder, Mateychuk, Sillinger, and Marchenko. None of these guys have expressed displeasure with the team that I know of. Johnny Hockey and Severson are core because they have to be. Brindley and Malatesta seem to have great attitudes - I’d call them important pieces to keep but not core.

This is one of those instances where I think the player's contract distracts people from how the player fits and how effective they are. Severson and Gaudreau are much much better players than Cole Sillinger. I have no problem calling them core.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What moves should we make this offseason? Who should stay and go? Will we be active in the UFA/trade market? Will anyone be bought out?

Discuss all offseason roster matters in here.

-Elvis will be moved. This sounds like it's been a big issue. Requested a trade, but didn't, or whatever. Whether that's via a heavily incentivized trade or a buy out.
-I'm not sure what you do with Laine. He has almost no trade value with his contract. I guess you hope he's getting the help he needs and come backs strong as a top 6 winger for you?
-Maybe move Provorov if you get a good offer.
-if Elvis is moved, then I could see them picking up a UFA goalie to keep Greaves as #3 in Cleveland for one more year.
-they will probably re-sign all of their own RFAs.

Beyond that, it's hard to say without knowing who the next GM is. They could have a much different vision/plan.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is one of those instances where I think the player's contract distracts people from how the player fits and how effective they are. Severson and Gaudreau are much much better players than Cole Sillinger. I have no problem calling them core.

You would build a team around a 29 year old 4/5 D without any snarl to his game? Severson is not my choice for a core piece.

Give me the kid who was cocky/lazy the summer he was dating a major Canadian celebrity and seemed to have learned a lesson from it. I bet he is great in the locker room.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You would build a team around a 29 year old 4/5 D without any snarl to his game? Severson is not my choice for a core piece.

Give me the kid who was cocky/lazy the summer he was dating a major Canadian celebrity and seemed to have learned a lesson from it. I bet he is great in the locker room.

Severson played like a 4/5 D for a month or two when he just started here, after that he was good. I don't like the contract but I have no problem with him as a player.

Sillinger is an iffy 3C, we have a surfeit of players that age who have higher upside than him.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
To be fair Nylander got banished to the AHL because of injuries too. He’s never had a real chance to rebound.

If his play these last 2 months didn’t warrant an opportunity then nothing could have in the minds of some people here.

People talked like Bemstrom just needed a change of scenery. Now we see who he really is. Maybe Nylander also really just needed the same change to actually prove it.

Why can’t you have both? They don’t even play the same position. Teams need different types. Not everyone should be the same.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You think playing with Gaudreau and Voronkov is the same as playing with 2024 Jeff Carter and Noel Acciari!?

He’s not playing with Geno/Sid…
Nothing. That's my point. Nylander showed something with a change of scenery. Bemstrom did not. The Negative Nancy attitude toward Nylander is certain he'll just regress to not being an NHL player even though he played like one for 28 games once he got here.

My argument is he absolutely deserves a 1 year qualifying offer. It won't cost much so why discard him like yesterday's trash so we can fill his spot with someone else who may or may not deserve to be in the NHL.

I think there are other forwards here who have been here longer, cost more and not shown enough that could be moved.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
If Laine isn't back next year, then the Blue Jackets really need top scoring help. Assuming that they don't land any big fish in a trade (i.e. Tkachuk, Keller, etc.) who could they look at? Could Marchessault be an option? Circle of life and all that. He has the advantage of probably looking for a shorter term length than other options. A longer term contract will basically force the Blue Jackets to trade Laine at his lowest possible value, so the UFA would have to be really worth it. Another option is Pavelski, but I assume will just stay with Dallas.

Last edited:

DankoCBJ

Feb 19, 2022
Trade target for to summer: Bring back William Karlsson from the Vegas Golden Knights!

So hear me out: Vegas just got Hertl and re-signed Hanifin so they will have to make drastic moves in the summer to get under the cap. Karlsson has 3 years left on his 5,9M AAV contract. That is close to perfect "bridge time" until Fantilli and Sillinger are actual beasts.

Karlsson scored 30 goals this year and he is a great proven two-way center with good faceoff winning ability.

Get this guy to be the center alongside Gaudreau and move Jenner to wing. PLEASE!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree with above comments of the new GM first establishing what kind of team he wants. Otherwise it will be a continuation of Jarmo's throwing stuff at the wall and hope it sticks.

I'd buyout Elvis. I'd ride Tarasov & Graves for the season. Both have shown reasons to give them a bigger chance next season. As an alternative I like major's idea of Brossoit and let Greave's develop more in Cleveland. If necessary give Greaves the 2nd spot. Both he and Tarasov showed enough down the stretch to warrant their chance.

I don't think many of our guys have great trade value so unless someone makes a great offer I think most guys will be back next year.

I hope the new GM puts together a coaching staff that can develop the young guys. Preferably a guy who doesn't switch the lines as frequesntly as Vincent.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
you guys are so hard on cole the kid is 20 years old LMAO hes going to be a stud in this league

this year and next are nothing season why are we trying to get rid of our young talent. resign every kid let them develop.... lets see where they are in a year or two, when we are ready to make a push. the league is getting younger and younger why are we pushing out the kids and wanting old vets ????

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
My hope:
-We get a GM that understands team building and not just collecting talent.
-From there we have to see who fits into the new vision of the team. Just my opinion but we have too many veterans that don't make their team mates better and that has to change. The "effort" guys we have in most cases are not talented enough to be top line players.
-But we need to move Elvis. He has potential but he's likely not progressing here, We may have to retain salary.
-D-men - we need more "grit" and "toughness" for top 4. I like Zach and Jiricek but if you're looking to shake things up you may have to look at what one of those guys would return. I doubt if either gets moved and more than likely we try to move Provorov but salary retention would be necessary.
-Forwards - Laine is not tradeable I don't think. Just have to hope he comes back and plays well and then look at options (again IMO he's ultra talented but a guy who was a bad addition). We need to see if Johnny G is really into Columbus. 11-12 goals is not what we're paying for but he's a great player if he wants to be here. He could be someone that professionally (doing it the right way) approaching the team and telling them to move me if helps the team long-term.

But IM off season priorities are:
1. Hire right GM
2. Get the wrong guys off the bus (from front office, to coaches, to players) and make sure player development is a huge focus
3. Try to get as many right pieces on the bus (roster). Listen we can't fix it all in one off-season. Too many spots to fill (GM, maybe JDs spot, Coaches) and too many guys with bad contracts for their performance this past season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
you guys are so hard on cole the kid is 20 years old LMAO hes going to be a stud in this league

this year and next are nothing season why are we trying to get rid of our young talent. resign every kid let them develop.... lets see where they are in a year or two, when we are ready to make a push. the league is getting younger and younger why are we pushing out the kids and wanting old vets ????
Even if he turns out to be a 3C, he's probably going to be a real good 3C. On a good team, he'd be depth scoring and a player who could play on the PK. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game so he'd be a good player to have against "heavy" teams.

Whether he turns out to be a core player or not remains to be seen. For the time being, there's no reason to get rid of him unless he's part of a worthwhile trade.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'd buyout Elvis. I'd ride Tarasov & Graves for the season. Both have shown reasons to give them a bigger chance next season. As an alternative I like major's idea of Brossoit and let Greave's develop more in Cleveland. If necessary give Greaves the 2nd spot. Both he and Tarasov showed enough down the stretch to warrant their chance.
You are going to need 1-2 more goalies for depth anyway. if Jet is the backup in Columus next season we'll need guys on NHL contracts to play in Cleveland. I'm sure one of those could be a vet with NHL experience but it would also be nice to have another guy on the roster as a prospect. Pavel Cajan was on an AHL only deal so I don't think it's him. Maybe they bring back Subban for next year as part of that process.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I agree with above comments of the new GM first establishing what kind of team he wants. Otherwise it will be a continuation of Jarmo's throwing stuff at the wall and hope it sticks.

I don't think many of our guys have great trade value so unless someone makes a great offer I think most guys will be back next year.

I hope the new GM puts together a coaching staff that can develop the young guys. Preferably a guy who doesn't switch the lines as frequesntly as Vincent.
Tarasov has the risk of injuries looming over him as well, so I think a veteran back-up like Brossoit is a good idea.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Arent you the same guy basically calling Jiricek a bust?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A lot of RFA deals to sort out. If you pencil in Nylander as a middle six scoring winger, the forwards are once again pretty crowded.

-under contract forwards - Gaudreau, Jenner, Fantilli, Kuraly, Voronkov, Danforth Olivier ($28.775m)
-under contract but in PAP - Laine ($8.7m)
-RFA forwards - Marchenko, Chinakhov, Nylander, Sillinger, Texier, Johnson (if they're all of the short-term variety, could you get away with spending ~$14m collectively?)
-Dmen under contract - Werenski, Provorov, Jiricek, Gudbranson, Boqvist, Severson ($28.077m)
-RFA Dmen - Bean
-Goalie under contract - Merzlikins, Tarasov ($6.45m)

If they don't move Elvis or Provorov and Laine and Voronkov are back, they're probably looking at ~$77m in cap hits for next season -> unless they go longer term, higher AAV with Marchenko or Sillinger.

I expect some moves, but that's sort of the "status quo" look.

EDIT - the list of UFAs this summer is quite long. Probably 15+ goalies who one might consider at least serviceable. Another 25+ forwards and 12-15 Dmen as well. But again, to me, the problem is still a logjam of medicare players on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad