Arkansas Razorbacks hockey program joins (ACHA) Division I ranks

ledzeppelinfan1

Feb 26, 2010
As probably the biggest hockey fan in the state, I'm truly shocked. Sure, they will probably be dominated on a game to game basis but it says a lot about the program. I'll be honest, as solely a fan of the NHL in combination with the fact that hockey gets virtually zero attention down here, I didn't even know we had a team at all. Lol

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
This is pretty big news. ACHA DI is [in general] very good hockey and comparable level to NCAA DIII. The level contains a variety of well run club, univ. sponsored/varsity-club, and NAIA varsity programs.

This is good for hockey in the sunbelt as it exposes fans to quality, entertaining hockey games. Could be a step for more SEC schools to take hockey more seriously. Maybe in 20 years we're talking about some SEC schools moving up to NCAA like Arizona State announced recently.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
This is pretty big news. ACHA DI is [in general] very good hockey and comparable level to NCAA DIII. The level contains a variety of well run club, univ. sponsored/varsity-club, and NAIA varsity programs.

This is good for hockey in the sunbelt as it exposes fans to quality, entertaining hockey games. Could be a step for more SEC schools to take hockey more seriously. Maybe in 20 years we're talking about some SEC schools moving up to NCAA like Arizona State announced recently.

As for point one that I bolded above, that's absoltuely ludicrous and you know it. Stop pumping your own tires because you played club hockey at Bowling Green. About five of the top club programs would be competitive in D III, the rest would be crushed by 85% of the teams at that level.

Second, for SEC schools to play real college hockey, they'd need rinks close by, and if I remember correctly, only Georgia even has a rink in town, much less on campus. Baton Rouge used to, but doesn't anymore.

Also, I looked up the staff of the Arkansas club team, and found something interesting. Their head coach, a law professor, claims to have played "varsity ice hockey" at Holy Cross. He also claims to have been captain of the ski team. Of course, the ski team at Holy Cross appears to be a club sport and... wait for it... WAIT FOR IT... THERE'S NO RECORD OF ANYONE BY HIS NAME EVER PLAYING HOCKEY AT HOLY CROSS! I looked in both hockeydb and the team media guide. Being that he would have played Division I hockey in the 1990s, there should be some record of him, but there isn't. :shakehead

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
As for point one that I bolded above, that's absoltuely ludicrous and you know it. Stop pumping your own tires because you played club hockey at Bowling Green. About five of the top club programs would be competitive in D III, the rest would be crushed by 85% of the teams at that level.

Eddie, you need to read more.

I didn't say the ACHA DI would beat top NCAA DIII teams, I said "in general the level is comparable to NCAA DIII." I agree with you that the ACHA DI top 5 would be competitive in NCAA. But ACHA DI top-20 teams have routinely beat NCAA DIII teams (usually low to mid level). That is the definition of 'comparable' = Similar, like, akin, equivalent... Top 20-25 is comparable to low to mid NCAA DIII hockey. It's not the NHL, AHL or NCAA DI, but it's entertaining hockey that is a good opportunity to grow the sport in a region that's not exposed to it.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Eddie, you need to read more.

I didn't say the ACHA DI would beat top NCAA DIII teams, I said "in general the level is comparable to NCAA DIII." I agree with you that the ACHA DI top 5 would be competitive in NCAA. But ACHA DI top-20 teams have routinely beat NCAA DIII teams (usually low to mid level). That is the definition of 'comparable' = Similar, like, akin, equivalent... Top 20-25 is comparable to low to mid NCAA DIII hockey. It's not the NHL, AHL or NCAA DI, but it's entertaining hockey that is a good opportunity to grow the sport in a region that's not exposed to it.

com·pa·ra·ble
ˈkämp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of a person or thing) able to be likened to another; similar.
of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison.

To say that they are "comparable" is to say that one is as good as the other, which is simply not the case when comparing D-III to even the best club teams.

And no comment from the club clowns on Arkansas' coach apparently falsifying his playing resume? Not surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad