Arizona Coyotes Lounge XXV

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just found a new Yotes ad on Facebook

They're gving away mullet wigs again at the home opener..... this year they connected to a trucker hat.

mullett.jpg

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Anyone need a player for rec hockey this winter? Will be in AZ from just before Christmas until the end of March. Not interested in contact.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Anyone need a player for rec hockey this winter? Will be in AZ from just before Christmas until the end of March. Not interested in contact.
Chicken s---. Bringing the ex with ya? Or are you on the prowl?;)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
In case anyone ever asks why Alex Meruelo would ever want to buy a sad sack franchise like Arizona, you can send them this:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
In case anyone ever asks why Alex Meruelo would ever want to buy a sad sack franchise like Arizona, you can send them this:

Excellent find, I had no idea they could depreciate so much. It appears the asshats have no reason not to do better.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Excellent find, I had no idea they could depreciate so much. It appears the asshats have no reason not to do better.

It would certainly explain some of the less commonsensical moves that the franchise has made historically. For a guy like Meruelo who has his fingers in so many pies, having the Coyotes suffering actual financial losses of an extreme nature is only going to help his bottom line elsewhere.

The realization, of course, only adds another thick layer of cynicism to my fandom - but in a weird way, it also makes me a little less worried about a relocation, because Meruelo wouldn't get as juicy a writeoff in Houston or SLC as he does here.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It would certainly explain some of the less commonsensical moves that the franchise has made historically. For a guy like Meruelo who has his fingers in so many pies, having the Coyotes suffering actual financial losses of an extreme nature is only going to help his bottom line elsewhere.

The realization, of course, only adds another thick layer of cynicism to my fandom - but in a weird way, it also makes me a little less worried about a relocation, because Meruelo wouldn't get as juicy a writeoff in Houston or SLC as he does here.
Those would be sales, yes? As such he would lose all that juice, no?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I'm afraid this is old stuff. Like Econ 102.... the course you didn't take because Econ 101 bored the hell out of you.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm afraid this is old stuff. Like Econ 102.... the course you didn't take because Econ 101 bored the hell out of you.

Well, I never pretended to be either an economist or an expert on tax law, but while I always knew about the tax writeoff stuff in principle, I wasn't aware of the extent of just how big the loopholes were and how blatantly they were exploited. Kinda casts an even worse light on Jerry Moyes for not being enough of a hustler to fully exploit the franchise more than he did as owner, though.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
So evidently it's 15 years of depreciation on the purchase of the team as the major piece of deducting. There are a number of owners who've gone beyond that, so I wonder if that's the point when something like a new arena becomes a priority so they can add a new massive write-off.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well, I never pretended to be either an economist or an expert on tax law, but while I always knew about the tax writeoff stuff in principle, I wasn't aware of the extent of just how big the loopholes were and how blatantly they were exploited. Kinda casts an even worse light on Jerry Moyes for not being enough of a hustler to fully exploit the franchise more than he did as owner, though.

Moyes originally got in for the real estate that was Westgate. Remember how, after he and Ellman split, he moved the front office into a building at Westgate he controlled with his wife? Then proceded to charge nearly 3x the going rate in rent compared to if they had just stayed in the arena that HE still had control of.

So he not only used the Coyotes as a cash cow to bail out Swift Transportation when the recession hit, (as it came out in the BK procedings), he was putting money in his own pocket,

And writing it all off in a loss against the team.

Remember IceEdge? After they sold out to Barroway, nobody ever could say they actually lost money.

Meruelo got in because:

1) NHL was on the verge of a new US TV contract which meant a big share to all the owners. It's why Forbes showed every NHL franchise ended up in the black last year.

2) The incoming expansion teams brought additional money in along with increasing values for all the franchises. (IceEdge came in because of this reason, too.)

I would guess to say Meruelo's been playing with house money all this time because of it. Makes it much easier to risk spending what he has so far (upgrading Mullett, etc) because of it he hasn't really risked all that much, and the end is if he can get TED, MED, (or whatever we end up calling it) built the end payoff could be massive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad