Arizona Coyotes Lounge XII - The Travel Bureau

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ots-te-aaron-hernandez-found-dead-prison-cell

BOSTON -- Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez, who was serving a life sentence for a murder conviction and just days ago was acquitted of a double murder, died after hanging himself in his prison cell early Wednesday, Massachusetts prisons officials said.

Hernandez, 27, was found by guards in his cell at the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley just after 3 a.m., Department of Correction spokesman Christopher Fallon said in a statement.

The former New England Patriots tight end was pronounced dead at UMass Memorial-HealthAlliance Hospital in Leominster about an hour later.

I feel bad for those those who were murdered and I feel bad for his girlfriend and daughter more than I feel bad for Hernandez. Normally I don't feel bad for murders. After seeing Hernandez being found not guilty on 2 murders though, makes me wonder now if he did indeed kill the person he was convicted of killing.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ots-te-aaron-hernandez-found-dead-prison-cell

I feel bad for those those who were murdered and I feel bad for his girlfriend and daughter more than I feel bad for Hernandez. Normally I don't feel bad for murders. After seeing Hernandez being found not guilty on 2 murders though, makes me wonder now if he did indeed kill the person he was convicted of killing.

A not guilty verdict doesn't mean you didn't do it, just means the prosecutor couldn't convince the jury you did it.

He showed zero remorse or emotion. The dude is ****ed in the head...good riddance.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
A not guilty verdict doesn't mean you didn't do it, just means the prosecutor couldn't convince the jury you did it.

He showed zero remorse or emotion. The dude is ****ed in the head...good riddance.

A guilty verdict doesn't mean someone did it either, just means the prosecutor convinced a jury to convict someone based on a technicality of the law.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court." Great quote from Law Abiding Citizen.

Such a waste all around. What a legacy he has left behind.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A guilty verdict doesn't mean someone did it either, just means the prosecutor convinced a jury to convict someone based on a technicality of the law.
Unfortunately our justice system is rarely concerned about the actual truth. Prosecutors will prosecute no matter what and defenders will defend no matter what. Truth be damned!

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Anyone else with cox have an outage? Mine went down last night and apparently it is still not working.

Seeing that most people don't work online and waste their time online, it was nice to see something that forced more people to get away from trolling and spreading hate online by going outside and doing things. Internet outages need to happen more often for the sake of humanity.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Seeing that most people don't work online and waste their time online, it was nice to see something that forced more people to get away from trolling and spreading hate online by going outside and doing things. Internet outages need to happen more often for the sake of humanity.

:amazed::amazed::amazed:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Or maybe stay inside and procreate. Birth rates usually go up 9 months after major power outages.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Naive comment. I took my final yesterday for my online course and was at work when I posted. I was concerned because my course is online and the outage wasn't just a quick drop.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Naive comment. I took my final yesterday for my online course and was at work when I posted. I was concerned because my course is online and the outage wasn't just a quick drop.

I too take online classes, so an outage can make things extremely difficult for me.

A few months ago our power went out for over 48 hours thanks to a winter storm, and I still had to find a way to get my coursework done. Our one-exit street was also blocked for a good 32 of those 48 hours, so I was rather literally trapped.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

I too take online classes, so an outage can make things extremely difficult for me.

A few months ago our power went out for over 48 hours thanks to a winter storm, and I still had to find a way to get my coursework done. Our one-exit street was also blocked for a good 32 of those 48 hours, so I was rather literally trapped.

Me three! What classes are you two taking? How's it going?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Last semester I took English 101 (fourth attempt because I'm generally a terrible student) and I got a B in it. Also took nutrition (HCE241) and got an A. This semester I enrolled in human anatomy & physiology and withdrew. I wasn't doing so well with it being an online course for some reason, so I'll just re-take it in the fall when I can take it in person. There's also a good chance my mother's going to be the instructor for it :laugh:

Finished last semester with a 3.77 GPA. This semester it's going to be a 3.25 because I managed to get only a B in a 6-credit class though :rant:

That'll make my year-end GPA a 3.57 though. Not bad, I guess. Annoyed at that 6-credit B.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

Last semester I took English 101 (fourth attempt because I'm generally a terrible student) and I got a B in it. Also took nutrition (HCE241) and got an A. This semester I enrolled in human anatomy & physiology and withdrew. I wasn't doing so well with it being an online course for some reason, so I'll just re-take it in the fall when I can take it in person. There's also a good chance my mother's going to be the instructor for it :laugh:

Finished last semester with a 3.77 GPA. This semester it's going to be a 3.25 because I managed to get only a B in a 6-credit class though :rant:

That'll make my year-end GPA a 3.57 though. Not bad, I guess. Annoyed at that 6-credit B.

Wooo keep it going Tricia! I agree that I prefer in person classes, but I do like that online you have the set deadlines on when things are do and really you have free reign to work on it when you want. I just prefer the in person teaching, and the availability of the professor in the class. Easier when you can get to know the professor on a more personal level instead of just trading emails back and forth.

Sinurgy I just started my first class for my masters in Accounting(and hopefully CPA after I finish the program). I have a 79 point cushion to keep my A, out of a possible 270 points remaining on my final. I'll get the score by the end of the week, pretty confident I'll keep my A this course. I should be completely done next November.

What about you?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Wooo keep it going Tricia! I agree that I prefer in person classes, but I do like that online you have the set deadlines on when things are do and really you have free reign to work on it when you want. I just prefer the in person teaching, and the availability of the professor in the class. Easier when you can get to know the professor on a more personal level instead of just trading emails back and forth.

Sinurgy I just started my first class for my masters in Accounting(and hopefully CPA after I finish the program). I have a 79 point cushion to keep my A, out of a possible 270 points remaining on my final. I'll get the score by the end of the week, pretty confident I'll keep my A this course. I should be completely done next November.

What about you?

I think I've concluded after my experience this year that I like online classes for the things that were pretty easy and I didn't really have to learn anything new to complete the course work (but have to take anyway since they're a requirement for my degree). Like for the English class, the bulk of the graded material was writing four formal essays and reading response short answers. I could do that at my leisure since everything was just weekly and due by midnight on Sundays (or, as it happened most of the time, log on at 10 p.m. Sunday night, spout a bunch of nonsense, and submit everything at 11:55 p.m. - maybe this is why I got a B in the class). It was similar with the nutrition course, in which we had a semester-long project to turn in basically whenever which I actually turned in quite early, and weekly online multiple choice quizzes which, by nature of it being an online course, were always open book.

In contrast, the anatomy class was a bunch of memorizing names for things with Greek word roots (that was difficult for me, as opposed to names with Latin word roots for a lot of medical terms for my nursing assistant class, since I speak a Latin-based languages), and it was mostly new material that I had difficulty essentially learning independently.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Getting a B in a 6 credit class is a rough one but still ending with a 3.57 is pretty kick ass. I was always a bad student myself. Me and my buddy used to joke "C's get degrees"...of course neither of us got a degree. :laugh:
If you don't mind me asking through which school are you taking your online classes?

Sounds like you'd have to absolutely bomb your final (which isn't going to happen) not to get that A, nice work! So you'll be done in November 2018 right? Do you end up a CPA upon successful completion of your masters or is there a final exam you must pass to officially become a CPA? Sorry probably ignorant questions but I have no idea how the process works.

As I asked Tricia, if you don't mind me asking, through which school are you taking your online classes?

What about you?
I'm in the final semester of getting my CompSci degree via University of Illinois. I'm taking two 4 credit courses, one is basically my senior group project which is tedious and boring and not worth talking about but my other class is Artificial Intelligence which is quite fascinating. I just finished an agent that can solve any Super Sudoku puzzle almost instantly (cause apparently normal Sudoku is for ******* :help:). Useless but the knowledge learned is pretty cool! Now I'm finishing up an agent that will always play the optimal opening move of a Scrabble game. The logic behind this one isn't too hard, it's trying to do it efficiently that's the challenge, especially if your opening rack has two blank tiles. That's 676 rack combinations that have to be considered!

As I mentioned above I used to be a horrible student but people change, with any luck I will graduate in 2.5 weeks with a 4.0...never thought I'd say that!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Getting a B in a 6 credit class is a rough one but still ending with a 3.57 is pretty kick ass. I was always a bad student myself. Me and my buddy used to joke "C's get degrees"...of course neither of us got a degree. :laugh:
If you don't mind me asking through which school are you taking your online classes?

C's do definitely get degrees, and I would have taken a C in the anatomy class (which I was maintaining actually, until I had to take a proctored midterm on campus and completely bombed it, that's when I made the decision to withdraw).

I'm taking my online classes as part of the prerequisites to enter the RN program at Gila Community College in Payson, which is a satellite campus of Eastern Arizona College in Thatcher, AZ.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Sounds like you'd have to absolutely bomb your final (which isn't going to happen) not to get that A, nice work! So you'll be done in November 2018 right? Do you end up a CPA upon successful completion of your masters or is there a final exam you must pass to officially become a CPA? Sorry probably ignorant questions but I have no idea how the process works.

As I asked Tricia, if you don't mind me asking, through which school are you taking your online classes?

I'm in the final semester of getting my CompSci degree via University of Illinois. I'm taking two 4 credit courses, one is basically my senior group project which is tedious and boring and not worth talking about but my other class is Artificial Intelligence which is quite fascinating. I just finished an agent that can solve any Super Sudoku puzzle almost instantly (cause apparently normal Sudoku is for ******* :help:). Useless but the knowledge learned is pretty cool! Now I'm finishing up an agent that will always play the optimal opening move of a Scrabble game. The logic behind this one isn't too hard, it's trying to do it efficiently that's the challenge, especially if your opening rack has two blank tiles. That's 676 rack combinations that have to be considered!

As I mentioned above I used to be a horrible student but people change, with any luck I will graduate in 2.5 weeks with a 4.0...never thought I'd say that!

Nice congrats! It's always nice to finish! And yes, people do change. I barely got my degree, and I was suspended twice from NAU before I finally finished it.

I'm going through the Keller School at Devry. There are 3 classes that have the Becker review built into the course, so it should prepare everyone for the CPA. The CPA is a separate test that you have to take after you have your hours to be able to sit for it. It's a 4 portion test(taken separately), and you have to pass every portion. There are a few co-workers that are studying for it. They are pretty much doing work, and then studying each night. I'm kind of the same way, since each course is an 8 week course. I'm basically working, then I come home and I'm working on my homework and discussions. It's a grind, but I'm excited for the challenge. If I were to complete the masters program, I'd be the first one in my family(and extended family) to complete anything past a bachelor's.

My thinking behind going for it was the Accounting field itself is becoming more competitive. Yes, there are plenty of job opportunities out there, but it's tough to stack up against other people because so many other people are going after the higher education. Just having that extra schooling should help my resume and job prospects down the road.

Any idea what you might do with your degree once you're finished?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
C's do definitely get degrees, and I would have taken a C in the anatomy class (which I was maintaining actually, until I had to take a proctored midterm on campus and completely bombed it, that's when I made the decision to withdraw).

I'm taking my online classes as part of the prerequisites to enter the RN program at Gila Community College in Payson, which is a satellite campus of Eastern Arizona College in Thatcher, AZ.
They do but in our case the C's were a sign of slacking that permeated throughout most of our academic life and ultimately we both dropped out. I was 3 classes away from graduating too but to be fair the 3 classes were sequential so it would've taken another year and a half. I don't regret it though, I took off for the dot com boom!

Nice congrats! It's always nice to finish! And yes, people do change. I barely got my degree, and I was suspended twice from NAU before I finally finished it.

I'm going through the Keller School at Devry. There are 3 classes that have the Becker review built into the course, so it should prepare everyone for the CPA. The CPA is a separate test that you have to take after you have your hours to be able to sit for it. It's a 4 portion test(taken separately), and you have to pass every portion. There are a few co-workers that are studying for it. They are pretty much doing work, and then studying each night. I'm kind of the same way, since each course is an 8 week course. I'm basically working, then I come home and I'm working on my homework and discussions. It's a grind, but I'm excited for the challenge. If I were to complete the masters program, I'd be the first one in my family(and extended family) to complete anything past a bachelor's.

My thinking behind going for it was the Accounting field itself is becoming more competitive. Yes, there are plenty of job opportunities out there, but it's tough to stack up against other people because so many other people are going after the higher education. Just having that extra schooling should help my resume and job prospects down the road.

Any idea what you might do with your degree once you're finished?
That would be quite an honor to be the first in your family to get a Masters! What is the Becker review?

I hear ya on the grind, I also work full time and man it gets pretty tough at times. I can think of about a million things I'd rather do when I get home that are not studying! I sit at a computer all day, then come home and sit at a computer all day. lol

Honestly I'll probably just hang it in my office. I've been in the industry for quite sometime, the degree was mostly a personal goal and a bit of insurance should I ever decide to apply somewhere that requires one regardless of experience (not sure such a place even exists). I would like to do more AI type of work but that would basically require working in Silicon Valley and that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm in the final semester of getting my CompSci degree via University of Illinois. I'm taking two 4 credit courses, one is basically my senior group project which is tedious and boring and not worth talking about but my other class is Artificial Intelligence which is quite fascinating.

Nice! Just curious, but language are you using for this? (in my rocket science days of the 80s-early 90s, it was Lisp)

Having known a lot of the history of AI, I really do get a sense of "I lived to see the future", because I know how hard a lot of problems that now seem solved were (e.g. search engines, voice/pattern recognition). The fact that I can pull a device out of my pocket and say "who won the Stanley Cup last year?" and get an answer right away still amazes me.

edit: in fact I did that just now. I was amazed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Google is now taking applications to use their self driving cars for free as part of the early rider program.

We’re searching for early riders in parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, including Chandler, Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert. Come join us in making it safer and easier for everyone to get around!

https://waymo.com/apply/

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Haha I'm taking English 101 this semester and oh boy, this class is something else.

As someone who teaches English 101 (and its equivalents), it really depends on the instructor/approach that is taken (online or face-to-face). I tend to use themes (most recently Television and Music over the last 2-4 years), which makes it a bit better for those who struggle. Of course I'm pickier on scoring essays than on the day-to-day stuff.

Of course whenever someone says it's not challenging enough, I tell them "you know, you can CLEP out of it" (depending on the college). I CLEPped out of my MA foreign language requirements and would have earned around 3 semesters worth of credit had I taken it during my BA (I suppose three minors would have been better than two--Writing, Sociology, and French).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad