Confirmed Trade: [ARI/EDM] Henrik Samuelsson for Mitch Moroz

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Probably bust for bust. I like Samuelsson more than Moroz but the odds are pretty slim for them turning into anything. And if Moroz does it's a 4th line facepuncher.

Never understood the pick at the time though. An all-time headscratcher.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is Moroz a good enough fighter to make it as an enforcer?

I would say no. He fought in junior but against not as good of fighters. More heat of the moment fights. If you watch his AHL fights they are... less than impressive. He was never noted as a enforcer down the in the AHL, at least not your traditional ones. He was a grinder who fought when needed and played physical. But was never one to jump over the boards to fight the other teams tough guy

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He probably wasn't going to be claimed either though, to be fair...

True. Two years ago after his first Season in the A I would have said he would be part of the protected list. This year it's not even a consideration. Got passed on RW depth chart by the likes of Fischer with Merkley set to join Roadrunners next year. Has talent. The injury was unfortunate. Hopefully he can get his career back on track.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
1.) Neither is an NHL player.

2.) That Oil Can franchise is crap at producing NHL talent

Yes, what is it about the Oil Kings?.....Lazar looks to be busting hard; Reinhart was a disastrous pickup for the Oilers...Samuelsson was a former first-rounder, believe it or not....what gives?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yes, what is it about the Oil Kings?.....Lazar looks to be busting hard; Reinhart was a disastrous pickup for the Oilers...Samuelsson was a former first-rounder, believe it or not....what gives?

Likely has nothing to do with the Oil Kings. More likely its a combination of those players just getting by at the WHL-level with their skill/size, then hitting a wall when facing stronger opposition and players and/or the NHL teams not developing them properly. Exactly what we are witnessing with Jake Virtanen.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Pretty much a nothing trade; just career AHLers changing teams. Moroz was never going to pan out for us, so I guess we take the extreme long-shot that PERHAPS Samuelsson gets his career back on track, and might make it as a 4th liner. Like I said, it's an extreme long shot (like 1%), but better than no shot, which is pretty much what Moroz is. Don't see why ARI does this. Guess maybe both teams felt those guys needed new starts.

Moroz is a perfect example of how atrocious a lot of our drafting was back then. It was a complete head-scratcher even back then that he was taken 32nd. Even 132nd would've been taking him too high. Was such a waste of a fairly high pick. God our team was run by such a bunch of idiots then (Lowe, MacT, Tambellini, StuMac, etc.). Thank god the drafting has gotten much better the last 2-3 seasons -- especially since Chia came aboard. It's still a bit early to say for sure, but at least many of the picks (especially after the 1st round) look to be tracking quite good and don't boggle the mind, like so many were prior to him coming aboard.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Is Moroz a good enough fighter to make it as an enforcer?

No, he would get absolutely crushed by even most guys who aren't even remotely thought of as enforcers, but are big and strong on their skates. He would just be an epic embarrassment for your team if he tried to be your enforcer. It would be ugly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No, he would get absolutely crushed by even most guys who aren't even remotely thought of as enforcers, but are big and strong on their skates. He would just be an epic embarrassment for your team if he tried to be your enforcer. It would be ugly.

Alright so he'll be a career minor leaguer/Euro league then. Thanks!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I remember watching a Kings/Coyotes preseason game and being quite impressed with Henrik Samuelsson.

No clue who Mitchell Moroz is.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's a shame he had that ankle injury. He was going close to point per game over the last half of his rookie AHL season a couple years back. He could have actually been a decent player. A big talented mean player. After the injury his production was devastated. I hope one day he can find a way to properly rehab it.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Is this like when you trade a 63 rating player for a 64 rating player, then for a 65 rating player etc. all the way up to a 90 rating guy?

Reactions: Fixxer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
lol how so? drafted the same year, 5 spots apart and both equally suck in the AHL.
Its a swap of prospects that each franchise has given up on

Samuelsson was a bit of a draft steal. Moroz went where he was supposed to (and maybe I'm being generous to Mitch there)

Moroz is also a disappointment by his own play. Samuelsson was stalled by injury (although might have some issues as well).

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kind of ironic it was an ankle injury. My played played against him at the Quebec Pee Wee tourney. Samuelsson was booted from the game for stomping on a fallen players ankle with his skate. Dirty player.....

I mean, yeah he's a dirty player.

As an Oil Kings Season ticket holder, i think the Oilers won this trade based on potential. I assume Arizona traded Samuelsson as a favour for him, as even as a long shot vs long shot I take Henrik every day of the week.

I like Moroz as a person, and I'm sure he's mighty disappointed by the trade, but I don't think he has a chance at being an impact NHL player. I have liked Moroz for a long long time, but MacT picking him at 32 was a complete joke. Thought so at the time as well. At the time he was a 3rd line goon in the dub.

After the injuries though, seems like Moroz is a better AHL player today though. Low impact trade all things considered.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Do you really think steal is the correct word to describe this trade.:laugh:

Steal was a semi-appropriate word... Edmonton wasn't.

Steal for Bakersfield.

Both players will be career AHL players. That is being very kind to Moroz.

Edit: LOL, I see I was late to the party... McLotto97 already beat me to the "Bakersfield" comment. :laugh:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Samuelsson was a bit of a draft steal. Moroz went where he was supposed to (and maybe I'm being generous to Mitch there)

Moroz is also a disappointment by his own play. Samuelsson was stalled by injury (although might have some issues as well).

Nah, Henrik was picked where he belonged, Moroz was off the board.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-draft-top30-prospects/
http://thehockeywriters.com/final-top-60-nhl-prospect-rankings-for-2012-draft/
https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2012/s/
http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/4/18/2955582/2012-nhl-draft-top-100-april-update
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/5/16/2012-nhl-draft-top-100-may-update

I could go on. Moroz not listed as a top 100 in most, earliest pick I can find him at is 101st. Henrik ranged from 25 to 38 in ranking. Lots really like Henrik, a few guys thought he was too slow. As an EOK season ticket holder from 11-15, Moroz was honestly 1/3rd the player of Henrik, and much much slower.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Never understood the pick at the time though. An all-time headscratcher.

It was when the Oilers were bound and determined that they were going to draft themselves a CHL guy with size and grit and hope that he becomes Milan Lucic II (Ryan Martindale and Drew Czerwonka in 2010; Cam Abney in 2009; Trading 2011 pick Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy; John McCarron in 2012). Then they just went "Hey, why don't we just sign the real thing?!"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Moroz will never be an NHL player. There's no way Arizona rolls the dice and gets anything good out of this.

In the unlikely event that Samuelsson learns to stay healthy for a few years Edmonton might win this trade and have an NHL player in their system, but it's likely that we've just picked up another Tyler Pitlick.

Minute Pitlick went pro he became more injury prone than Hemsky and Gaborik COMBINED.

So Arizona just picked up a 1992 Dodge Neon with 3,234,432 miles on it and they got a Pinto in return.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have personally never seen Moroz as an NHLer, so Ill take my chances with Samuellson.

I agree with you there. I also think that Samuellson as a center is probably more valuable to Edmonton - especially if he makes it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad