Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Coyotes re-sign Antti Raanta [3 Years/$4.25M AAV]

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Damnit. I really wanted the Blues make a hard push for him if he made it to UFA.

That’s a really friendly contract for the Yotes.
I'll second that , really thought him & Husso would make a tremendous tandem . Oh well we need to find another option or do we hand it over to Husso & just run with it & the teething problems it potentially may bring ?

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Happy for you Yotes fans! Know that there isn't a whole lot to be happy with them right now

As much as I'd party to have Dahlin here I honestly wouldn't mind if you guys got him if not us.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'll offer WPG 1st+Allen+Walman/Schmaltz/Stevens/Blais for Raanta

Cool Story Bro!
olOm1O4.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Happy for you Yotes fans! Know that there isn't a whole lot to be happy with them right now

As much as I'd party to have Dahlin here I honestly wouldn't mind if you guys got him if not us.

We're 20-13-7 in 2018 which is progress. It's the best sustained stretch of hockey we've played in over a half decade. It's not amazing or anything but it's the closest thing to progress we've seen in a very long time and we're all pretty happy about it.

Reactions: Ebbisen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Its pretty similar to the contract Talbot got.

Yeah it is, but it was few years ago and it's a tough one for both Edmonton& Talbot.
How to move forward and get the term& money right.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Contract details from LeBrun...

Interesting contract structure. Before anyone says the final year $2m/$2m signing bonus/salary is some clever maneuver to increase his tradeability, that’s not the case. The final year signing bonus is there because we might see a labor stoppage/lockout in that final year of 2020-21. So Raanta would be guaranteed at least the $2m bonus regardless of how many games the NHL plays that season.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
rt answered thoroughly (as always).

Goalie and D are pretty set. Team really needs a top 6 goal scoring forward (or 2). One may be addressed by winning 2nd or 3rd lottery pick.

Top 5 D are set. They need to decide if they want to resign Connaughton, sign someone else or if they have someone in the system.

Reactions: RABBIT

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
This helps in dispelling 1 of the ongoing Coyotes narratives "No free agent would sign in Arizona when they can sign with xxxxxx"

The other one "Arizona is a stinking dumpster fire of a team" is working itself out. (They have the 5th most points in the NHL over the past 2 months)

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I like this deal a lot. I have sympathy for the underdogs and especially for Coyotes roster. I also happen to like Raanta a lot and think is a good deal for him too. First of all, Raanta is now making enough money to not care about money after his career is over. Not 'stupid' or 'f*ck you' money, but enough. Secondly, his income is secured even in case of lockout. Thirdly, his contract is very trade friendly. In case Coyotes still bottomfeed lets say the next two years and Raanta is playing lights out hockey, he can be traded pretty easily with his low cap hit and Coyotes should be able to fetch a nice return. I don't have a good guess whether this was the maximum Raanta was able to pull off when all the chips were on the table, term or money wise, but my guess is considering all the things mentioned above, both parties are very happy.

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
great deal for both player and team, i said bout 6 weeks ago 4x4yrs would be about right so great deal, he could of commanded maybe 5/6 million a year in free agency but staying in phoenix is the best thing, this may also influence oel to resign possible

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
great deal for both player and team, i said bout 6 weeks ago 4x4yrs would be about right so great deal, he could of commanded maybe 5/6 million a year in free agency but staying in phoenix is the best thing, this may also influence oel to resign possible
Based on OEL’s recent public statements about wanting to sign an extension in AZ I would say it’s very likely.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Would/could they afford Tavares?
AZ has cap room and the need for a 1C, not sure the owner has the money or that Tavares has interest in AZ. On ice it would be a good fit for Tavares with all the young forwards coming along and the D/goal tending is set assuming they extend OEL. Chayka has made some great moves, so never say never, though Tavares is unlikely.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
AZ has cap room and the need for a 1C, not sure the owner has the money or that Tavares has interest in AZ. On ice it would be a good fit for Tavares with all the young forwards coming along and the D/goal tending is set assuming they extend OEL. Chayka has made some great moves, so never say never, though Tavares is unlikely.
There were rumors last summer that the coyotes aggressively pursued Joe Thornton. I wouldn’t rule out the idea that they pursue Tavares this summer. Although Tavares’ interest in Arizona is probably zero.

Reactions: Halla

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Good deal. Winning teams need to get their goalie in the 4-6mil range to allocate assets elsewhere

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
There were rumors last summer that the coyotes aggressively pursued Joe Thornton. I wouldn’t rule out the idea that they pursue Tavares this summer. Although Tavares’ interest in Arizona is probably zero.

agreed. If he leaves the isles its for a contending team. I think he has spent enough of his prime years playing for non playoff teams with uncertain future/ownership issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad