Arena Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiLLY

Mar 3, 2002
It is clear some teams are at a serious disadvantage financially due to arena capacities. Since we are unable to improve our facilities I think it would be to the benefit of the league that every teams arena held the same capacity. For example the some teams have more than 3000 seats than my club. Assuming ticket prices are $50 and I was at max capacity which I am not I am losing out on potentially $150,000 per game which translates into over 6 million dollars.

I know that we try to make this sim as realistic as possible but it is clear some teams are at a serious financial disadvantage.

Anyone else have an opinion???

BiLLY

Mar 3, 2002
Or if changing the capacity is an issue maybe a compensation should be awarded to teams by comparing them to the arena with the largest capacity at the end of the season. This could be done by taking their average capacity and multiplying it by the # of seats they have less than the largest facility then multiplying ticket price.

I agree on some level given we're not giving teams merchandise or TV contract adveantages (otherwise Sean's Rangers would be doubling everyone's payrolls) but I don't know that's a massive disadvantage (how many teams are actually selling out on a consistent basis? most are struggling for 15000) and on the other hand, there's an advantage to be had when the endosements roll around (need a lot more in a bigger stadium to get 80% etc)

I see your point, but I'm happy to leave things as they are, and I'm not exactly playing in a monster (18,595).

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
I agree with both of you. However, I understand Billy as I have the smallest capacity at 16,297. If we are going to keep the capacity the way it is, perhaps we should increase the the capacity incentives. Maybe $6MM -$10MM. This way teams with smaller arena can afford to keep up with the larger arena team.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Billy, if you're only drawing 11,723 in a building of 17,190, I don't see where this complaint is coming from. I understand the principle of what you are saying, but you aren't exactly the best example of how this is limiting teams with small buildings.

My question is does the sim vary attendance by where a team is located. So, for example, is Toronto or Detroit going to draw more than Billy's team in San Jose if everything (quality of roster, price of tickets....) else is equal? I guess at that point, I could see more of a justification for complaint from Billy's perspecitve, as he is the top team in the West, yet he draws only two more fans on average than Toronto, hardly a team lighting it up. Obviously ticket price may have something to do with that, so it may not be a good example, but the question remains.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
At $55 per ticket, the Sharks have made their choice - the higher the ticket price, the less attedance. Still, $850,000+ per game is much more revenue than most teams are making.

Of note, a team with a capacity of only 18,500 (Ottawa), currently makes more money per game than any other team in the league.

While teams with larger capacities do have a chance to make more money on a per game basis with the right balance of ticket prices, there is no question that teams with smaller capacities have a tremendous advantage in the Endorsement deals. It is much easier for a team with a smaller capacity to achieve

A team like San Jose (17,190) has a much easier chance of achieving the $5 million payout from the CBC or ESPN deal, in addition to the $500,000 bonus for the 95% attendance, than teams with 19,000+ capacities. All they need is attendance of less than 16,000 for the max payout.

BiLLY

Mar 3, 2002
Sean,

I said in my post that it wouldnt effect my team this year. But it would have effected my team in previous years when I used to sell out every game. I was just saying that it is unfair regardless if it makes a difference on my club this year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BiLLY said:
I said in my post that it wouldnt effect my team this year. But it would have effected my team in previous years when I used to sell out every game. I was just saying that it is unfair regardless if it makes a difference on my club this year.

As stated Billy, the Endorsement deals give you the opportunity to take advantage of a smaller arena capacity. This is one of the reasons the endorsement deals were structured the way they were (% of attendance in stead of total attendance). It's a significant advantage for teams with smaller arena's to make more money.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
BiLLY said:
Sean,

My bad. Just don't let this get linked to the media. Imagine Canucks fans finding out their GM is illiterate.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My 2 cents,

Most GMs generally don't have any say about arena capacities. Its generally the owners that do this. Essentially, we are the GM's with Ghost-like owners that don't hound us when we do really bad, thank god. :)

Think about the low market teams such as Pens, Flames and Oilers. How do they survive on a shoestring??

I would be the worst example as I have a league high 22000 seats, that is only filled with 8000 people. Thats wat you call atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad