• Yes, I am in favor

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No, I am not

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Pretty simple question. I do not think the UFC will ever get there but with a lot questionable scorecards recently and the push by some people in the industry, mostly Ariel Helwani, what is your opinion?

I like the idea of it but I am skeptical because of fighters just doing nothing when they know they're in the lead after 2/3 rounds.

member 51464

I'd rather incentivize a finish with money. As in, whatever to show and to win but your win purse is +50% if you get a finish.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...I'd rather score behind closed doors, but at my age, I'll take what I can get...

comicdrum.gif

...yeah, I'll see myself out...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know on open scoring. Willing to try it but I think it gives judges even more power as it alters the fight and not just the result.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd rather incentivize a finish with money. As in, whatever to show and to win but your win purse is +50% if you get a finish.
PFL kind of does this by rewarding finishes with more points toward the playoffs than decision wins and I quite like it.

I'm cool with open scoring but I don't think it will change the judging. I think it will change coaching and mid fight adjustments but open scoring won't change judging. Would be nice to see more guys go for a finish in the 3rd if they know they're down two.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Yes, I'm all for open scoring

No to incentivizing finishes

If a fighter can win his bout without inflicting unnecessary damage to his opponent, that should be the goal

So, if a fighter knows he's up 2 rounds heading into the 3rd, he can let off the gas, and spare his opponent's brain in the process

At that point it's up to the fighter in need of a finish to be the aggressor

I would, however, like to see opponents wagering their pay with one another

Masvidal vs McGregor, for example, agree to give their opponent 500K if they lose via decision, and a cool million if they get finished

I'm surprised this actually hasn't been done before, as I think it would add significant interest/stakes to a fight

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

If a fighter can win his bout without inflicting unnecessary damage to his opponent, that should be the goal

So, if a fighter knows he's up 2 rounds heading into the 3rd, he can let off the gas, and spare his opponent's brain in the process

Masvidal vs McGregor, for example, agree to give their opponent 500K if they lose via decision, and a cool million if they get finished

I'm surprised this actually hasn't been done before, as I think it would add significant interest/stakes to a fight
Most standard contracts do have win bonuses which is essentially double their pay in most cases... No need to bet more of their guaranteed money when they already have a significant bonus for winning.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Most standard contracts do have win bonuses which is essentially double their pay in most cases... No need to bet more of their guaranteed money when they already have a significant bonus for winning.

Yes, but when it's between fighters who legitimately dislike each other, it would add some extra spice to the bout

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I don't think it's a good idea.

I like the suspense of waiting for an official decision after a close fight, but more importantly I think it could lead to a lot of fighters playing it too safe if they know they have a lead.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Whatever open scoring would attempt to accomplish can also just be accomplished by fixing judging.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't really have strong feelings on this either way but it's hilarious how Helwani has been pushing this so hard it's become an inside joke on The Ringer MMA podcast (awesome pod). When Cormier said something like "Oh no, please don't talk about open scoring" on the broadcast I knew Helwani was going to make a joke about it. He said that's the closest he'll ever get to Cormier mentioning him on a UFC broadcast. :laugh:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It would more likely become a distraction during the broadcast when an unexpected score comes in between rounds. They need to fix judging.

On the flip side, it would spare us having to listen to those commentators spend half of each fight speculating on which fighter won which round

Reactions: Taytro

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Don't you think the "extra spice" is that they don't like each other?

No, that rarely ever translates to a better fight inside the cage

But a fighter in jeopardy of losing 50% of his pay might

It would also separate those who believe they'll win from those who are all talk just to hype the fight

Masvidal, for example, talked a big game heading into the Colby fight, but would he have been willing to put up half his purse? If so, we may have seen a better effort out of him inside the cage. And if not, we'd know he didn't believe his own hype

I think it'd be entertaining to see fighters who were willing to bet half their pay trash talk those who refused

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
On the flip side, it would spare us having to listen to those commentators spend half of each fight speculating on which fighter won which round

They should be doing this and I don't feel it takes up much of the commentary. As it is right now, they definitely don't take up half of the fight discussing who is winning as you stated. In some cases, like Rose's last fight the discussion was longer than normal. It's not like there was much action to talk about.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Yes, but when it's between fighters who legitimately dislike each other, it would add some extra spice to the bout

No, that rarely ever translates to a better fight inside the cage

But a fighter in jeopardy of losing 50% of his pay might

It would also separate those who believe they'll win from those who are all talk just to hype the fight

Masvidal, for example, talked a big game heading into the Colby fight, but would he have been willing to put up half his purse? If so, we may have seen a better effort out of him inside the cage. And if not, we'd know he didn't believe his own hype

I think it'd be entertaining to see fighters who were willing to bet half their pay trash talk those who refused

I'll keep it simple and just say that I disagree with everything you have posted in this thread.

No to open scoring, yes to incentivizing finishes, the suggested wager system sounds dumb and not interesting, and lastly I am fine with commentators talking about who is winning the fight (assuming they know how to score fights properly).

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
They should be doing this and I don't feel it takes up much of the commentary. As it is right now, they definitely don't take up half of the fight discussing who is winning as you stated. In some cases, like Rose's last fight the discussion was longer than normal. It's not like there was much action to talk about.

I was exaggerating for effect, however, there's no denying that much of the commentary focuses on how the uncertainty of how judges saw each round

I'll keep it simple and just say that I disagree with everything you have posted in this thread.

No to open scoring, yes to incentivizing finishes, the suggested wager system sounds dumb and not interesting, and lastly I am fine with commentators talking about who is winning the fight (assuming they know how to score fights properly).

What's dumb and uninteresting about fighters wagering their pay?

Explain yourself!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It just doesn't add any intrigue for me. Guys are already fighting for win bonuses and have lots of money riding on whether they win or lose... what does this change? Why do I care if one guy is transferring money over to the other guy?

Just because you don't find that it adds additional intrigue, doesn't make it dumb

And I never said you did care, I was sharing what I'd like to see

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad