Speculation: Are we legitimately cursed?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know it sounds silly to even discuss, but as more time passes and the more I think about it, the more I’m starting to come around to the idea.

Think about it: What were the three main reasons we won the Cup back in 06? Good forward depth, a lethal power play, and outstanding goaltending. Well, since that win, we’ve slowly been losing our forward depth, we’ve constantly had issues with our goaltending, and I think the power play speaks for itself most seasons.

And it’s not a coach, a system, or the players, since we’ve gone through so many of each one over the years. For whatever reason, a shitstorm seems to hang over this organization. Everyone seems to put forth their worst performance for the Canes, only to find more success when leaving.

If hockey fans can be superstitious about the silliest things, what are the odds that a legitimate curse has been placed on the team?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Said it before, but it’s the current Jumbotron at PNC Arena. It’s never experienced a Hurricanes playoff game. There’s an evil spirit inside that Jumbotron and it needs to go, it’s cursing the team. As soon as we get a new Jumbotron I suspect to see this team take a turn for the better aka the playoffs. Get er done Dundon!

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Like OW said: new experienced coaches, new GM outside of org. Let the talent play. Bishops to the 4th line or AHL.

We are so bad that we should try give Rask now opportunity to play with talent to see if he has anything left.

Svech Rask ....Williams

Wish we had Zykov still..

Our bottom6 is

McGinn Wallmark Foegele
Martinook Bishop PDG/Kuokkanen

.... and they don't even play in those roles

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
The problem I think is that nobody every gets called out ever....

They treat these guys with kid gloves.

Jeff Skinner / Eric Staal / Jordan Staal never got called out when they were playing terrible.

Dallas is in the 2nd Wild Card spot and they're calling out their big boys.

When has that ever happened here?

Oh, and PNC has the worst ice in the NHL from the looks of it.

can't help

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Past Salary Cap Payrolls - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

3 year total of estimated end of season cap space (15/16 - 17/18) + 18/19 estimate = ~$58.52 mil not spent

Teams not only need to use draft assets well, but also be lucky enough to have the primes of those assets match up at the same time. When a team is financially poor, there’s little margin for error. That hasn't happened yet for this franchise. No curse.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I know it’s pretty easy for ME to say, since it’s not my money, but I can’t imagine for the life of me being an owner & not doing everything in my power to put the best team possible out there.

Maybe it’s just me, but I want to be the best at what I do. I’m a “product guy” - I cannot stand selling (self promotion). A superior product will sell itself. Hockey CAN be profitable here. This area has proven they will overwhelmingly support this team when the team gives them something to support.

@HankAnger , you said something the other day that I can’t get out of my head. You said Skinner was playing like he was set “Free”. There IS something going on here. It’s not a curse, but if I was Dundo, there would be a organizational purge - a reset of sorts.

This place needs some fresh eyes & ideas. From top to bottom.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Said it before, but it’s the current Jumbotron at PNC Arena. It’s never experienced a Hurricanes playoff game. There’s an evil spirit inside that Jumbotron and it needs to go, it’s cursing the team. As soon as we get a new Jumbotron I suspect to see this team take a turn for the better aka the playoffs. Get er done Dundon!

I knew there was something about that scoreboard I didn't like.

I also blame RBC for being bought out by PNC. We haven't seen the playoffs since the merger.

Krispy Kreme should have bought the naming rights way back when.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Money is definitely an issue, but if I recall correctly, the last time we spent money like a typical NHL team, we missed the playoffs on the last day of the season. CURSED!

7FpA.gif

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
leadership has always been a concern. ever since brind'amour retired from playing, this team has had a leadership void. a rudderless ship. eric staal, jordan staal, justin faulk, alex semin, justin williams, jaccob slavin, sebastian aho, teuvo teravainen... it just goes on and on. not that these players aren't good players, they're just not inspiring to watch or listen to and you'd think most of them were mute. that makes this a great place to focus on your family, go out and skate around a little and cash checks. zero personality. zero accountability. zero pressure. even the guys who come here with a pedigree of being outspoken or full sixty minute guys end up being swallowed into the void. ferland is a great example. martinook.

just a little exercise. who is the guy on the hurricanes you'd least want to disappoint? not from a "aw shucks he's such a good dude" perspective, but you'd really have a bit of irrational fear about failing around them? now go around the league and compare that guy to the guys that playoff teams have. that's problematic.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
ever since brind'amour retired from playing, this team has had a leadership void. a rudderless ship.
Going with the original theme. Brind’Amour isn't in the HOF, it is like he is personally cursed. The Canes haven't had any success since the C was on RBA's jersey. If there is a curse, then it is that RBA is Faust and sold his AND the organization's soul to Lucifer so he could captain a Stanley Cup winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad