Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a Leafs fan, Matthews MAY disappear (hit him) and Eichel is forever injured / not 100%.

I like our chances. TBH, I like our chances a whole lot more than I did in the Fall of 2023.

We keep talking about Canada and the U.S. Watch either Finland or Sweden upset one of us.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
1710819222367.png

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Canada is a favorite, but not THE favorite anymore. Not just the US but Finland and Sweden have good mens teams with winning experience at the senior level (something the US has been sorely lacking in for a long while). Smaller countries like Switzerland, Germany, Slovakia have made strides in their programs for the last 5-10 years and can beat any of the top nations.

Winning experience since last best v best (2016):
• Mens WC - 2G, 3S
• World Juniors - 4G, 2S

Quite a bit of winning and experience in finals and a decent haul given the aformentioned drag of talent from 2016-2019 drafts and occasional dud tournaments at the World Juniors. The players at these international levels have big championship game experience and often take that with them to the NHL and best v best level.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I still give them the slightest of edges over Team USA, but there is no doubt that Canada's D depth and especially Goaltending is weaker than the 2014, 2010 and 2002 teams.

To be fair though, those defenses were stacked. Even the 2016 team had a stacked defense despite Keith going down to injury. Mike Green didn't make the 2010 team. Kris Letang didn't make the 2014 team and you had the likes of Wade Redden not making the 2002 team. They were all pretty near perfect defenses. Littered with Hall of Fame talent. Two years from now we'll have a great defense, probably the best in the tournament, but I don't know if it will be at the 2014 level.

Reactions: dalewood12

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Paranoid? No. But I'm not confident. I've learned to accept that the world, especially the USA, has caught up. No reason to cling onto the past or deny the truth anymore.

I don't expect to win gold, and it's ok if we don't. But if it's the USA that wins, I may stay off of social media for the foreseeable future lol

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
To be fair though, those defenses were stacked. Even the 2016 team had a stacked defense despite Keith going down to injury. Mike Green didn't make the 2010 team. Kris Letang didn't make the 2014 team and you had the likes of Wade Redden not making the 2002 team. They were all pretty near perfect defenses. Littered with Hall of Fame talent. Two years from now we'll have a great defense, probably the best in the tournament, but I don't know if it will be at the 2014 level.
Well said. If you were going to predict our D by 2030, what would it be?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I actually like our goaltending more then I did just last year, think Billington and Skinners form this year could potentially get it done playing behind what they will be playing with. Don't forget...............Canada will still have one talented team, it is Canada after all.

It might just be me but I wonder if our goaltending is now becoming slightly underrated. It won't be the best in the tournament probably but there is a difference between that and being able to win single games in a tournament with a real good team in front of them.

Reactions: ORRFForever

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The names aren't really up for debate so much, we all do this on other threads, but it is just a bit of a base for you to see. Things can change
Fair enough but I think guys like: *Stamkos (36), Marchand (37), Crosby (38), Stone (33) and Pietrangelo (36) are going to be aged past their abilities to be dominant players.

*Ages of players in 2026

Then you have question marks and volatility at a lot of positions as well with: Hyman, Byfield, Reinhart, Bouchard, Power, and goaltending in general which is volatile for most nations. Counting on guys like Lafreniere and Dach (lol) as impact players will also most likely be a poor choice given what we've seen from their careers so far.

McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard, and Makar is one hell of a group though and that might be all that's needed to win. Not trying to be a hater here but in my honest opinion I think we see a US gold win in 2026

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
My dear old mom was a Leafs fan who always assumed her team would lose so she could be pleasantly surprised if they won, and not too disappointed if they lost. She also cheered for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Sounds like half the posters in this thread.

Canada is going to be fine in 2026. A great forward group. A defense group that will be as good as most of the teams, and maybe as good as all of the other teams. Goaltending will be fine, and Canada will not be relying on goaltending to win the tournament.

They'll be good enough to win, because they've been good enough to win every best-on-best tournament. Lots can go wrong. Maybe the management group reincarnates Rob Zamuner? The margin for error is always slim at these things because guess what? The US will have a good team. Sweden will have a good team. Finland will have a good team. The Czechs will have a good team. The Slovaks and the Swiss and the Germans will all bring squads good enough to beat anyone under the right set of circumstances.

But no, there is no country currently that the best Canadian team cannot beat in a single game. I'd even go so far as say the same for a seven-game series. So Leafs fans, chill. It will be fine.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My dear old mom was a Leafs fan who always assumed her team would lose so she could be pleasantly surprised if they won, and not too disappointed if they lost. She also cheered for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Sounds like half the posters in this thread.

Canada is going to be fine in 2026. A great forward group. A defense group that will be as good as most of the teams, and maybe as good as all of the other teams. Goaltending will be fine, and Canada will not be relying on goaltending to win the tournament.

They'll be good enough to win, because they've been good enough to win every best-on-best tournament. Lots can go wrong. Maybe the management group reincarnates Rob Zamuner? The margin for error is always slim at these things because guess what? The US will have a good team. Sweden will have a good team. Finland will have a good team. The Czechs will have a good team. The Slovaks and the Swiss and the Germans will all bring squads good enough to beat anyone under the right set of circumstances.

But no, there is no country currently that the best Canadian team cannot beat in a single game. I'd even go so far as say the same for a seven-game series. So Leafs fans, chill. It will be fine.
Fans seem to be mostly focusing on Canada and the U.S and yes they have the most talent all around.

Now watch Russia win it for Gods sake. There will be a lot of shock and hand wringing around here were that to happen, all I can say to both Canadian and U.S fans is remember Nagano.

It's not a two team event last I looked.

• Love
Reactions: ORRFForever

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am sitting at home on my couch watching it. I have absolutely no impact on the result positive or negative. What reason would I have to be paranoid? I will sit back drink my beer and hope the boys have what it takes but there is nothing I can personally do to change anything lol

Reactions: therealdeal

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Of course, this is all predicated on the fact that a winning three straight coin flip do-or-die games actually determines who the "best" country at hockey is. Let's call it what it is. A complete crapshoot.

The Olympic format is a joke. Forget the week of exhibitions to see who of Zanzibar or Greenland gets relegated and instead have a meaningful round robin for two weeks with all the good teams playing each other at least once. Then, have #1 and #2 seeds play a best-of-three for the gold.

My Best-Carey

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am sitting at home on my couch watching it. I have absolutely no impact on the result positive or negative. What reason would I have to be paranoid? I will sit back drink my beer and hope the boys have what it takes but there is nothing I can personally do to change anything lol
I think he means Canadians are too pessimistic / negative when it comes to hockey - and everything else for that matter.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
If those guys are there I won't be watching at all.

I am going to guess Russia is there. This nonsense of keeping them out of these tournaments was never the right thing to do. There is a reason no one has any memories of the 1980 Summer Olympics (US boycott) but loads of memories from the 1980 Winter Olympics. What did the boycott do then? Nothing. It just ruined all the work athletes did training for perhaps their only shot. It isn't a true tournament if you don't have a top 3 country there. Even the World Juniors hasn't been the same the last couple of years. But I am going to go out on a limb and say you will still be watching no mater what.

I actually like our goaltending more then I did just last year, think Billington and Skinners form this year could potentially get it done playing behind what they will be playing with. Don't forget...............Canada will still have one talented team, it is Canada after all.

It might just be me but I wonder if our goaltending is now becoming slightly underrated. It won't be the best in the tournament probably but there is a difference between that and being able to win single games in a tournament with a real good team in front of them.

I would say the Americans and the Russians have better goaltending than us. Russia is better than anyone. But that's it. Here are some names:

Jarry, Binnington, Skinner, Hart, Keumper, Hill, Thompson

Take 3 of those and you are probably fine. Binnington has a Cup, Hill has a Cup, Keumper has a Cup. Skinner COULD have a Cup by then. You'd like to see a little more Vezina-ish type play, but again we are still a couple of years away. Two of these guys are just sophomores. We don't need Marty Brodeur in net to win this.

Well said. If you were going to predict our D by 2030, what would it be?

Makar still I would be elite I would guess. Dobson, Bouchard, Power all come to mind. I don't know why every has forgotten about a guy like Jamie Drysdale like he never existed. Theodore will still be young enough I think.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
. But I am going to go out on a limb and say you will still be watching no mater what.
Call me a liar if you want, dingus. My family came to Canada from Mariupol, so your bullshit rationalization doesn’t fly.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
By 2026 there is a good if not great chance McDavid, MacKinnon, and Bedard are the 3 best forwards in the NHL, and Makar is the best defenseman. I’d take that kind of star power over having the goalie with the most name value, when in todays NHL any goalie could be playing out of their mind or having a down year.

Reactions: Crosby2010

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
A buddy of mine and I did a mock list of the 2026 Canadian Olympic team. I will say one thing, when Canada had 50-60% of the NHLers instead of, say, 40-45% they do in 2024 the names rolled off of your tongue a little easier. But we still put together a pretty good team for Canada in 2026:

Hyman-McDavid-Marner
Byfield-MacKinnon-Point
Reinhart-Bedard-Stamkos
Marchand-Crosby-Stone
Suzuki/Barzal

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Bouchard
Dobson-Power

Hill
Jarry
Binnington/Skinner
(Hart, we'll see how things work out for him)

The names aren't really up for debate so much, we all do this on other threads, but it is just a bit of a base for you to see. Things can change, Lafreniere could really bust out, as could another draftee from 2020-'23 like Fantilli or so other names. To be honest there are a lot coming up the pipe right now where we are in a bit of a transition seeing some of the old guard leaving. It is hard to imagine some of them Olympians today, but in 2 years I think so.

But we both sort of felt that perhaps 10, 15, 20 years ago the names would have come easier for us to think about. You look at the defense of the 2002 team and it is incredible. 2010 had a wicked defense, 2014 did, 2016 did. Players like Letang never got on these teams. Even in net when Roy backed out in 2002 we had Brodeur, Joseph and Belfour. No problems there. Also there were legit guys like Burke, Potvin, Luongo, Theodore, Turco and even Osgood who could have easily been a legit 3rd stringer.

Now, with all of that being said, once we started comparing the Canadian roster to the ones of other countries there was a lot more optimism. Sweden, Czech and Finland all have plenty of holes in their rosters and don't have the star power or depth of Canada. Russia I personally hope is back to playing as it is not the same without them, but as usual their defense is suspect at best, and I was surprised that their forwards weren't as dangerous of a group as I thought they might be. As for goaltending, no contest for them. They beat any other country hands down with this. Vasi, Shesterkin and Bobrovsky are better than any of our best. But the team in front of them wouldn't be able to handle Canada's firepower.

That leaves the U.S. team, and a team that I will admit is closing the gap. The Americans' goalies trump ours. But our forwards are deeper and definitely have more high end to them. Imagine having McDavid, MacKinnon, Bedard and even Crosby as the lines you can roll down the middle. Imagine not finding room for Scheifele (although he could make it), Marchand (perhaps) and others. Marchand could be too old by then and not able to keep up, but there are plenty coming down the pipe that are replacing him. Even the defense, I think we have the best defense out of anyone, even the U.S. I think it relies heavily on Makar for instance and we don't have another guy like him, but who does? I like Quinn Hughes on the U.S. but I still take Makar.

Bottom line what I am saying is we as Canadians get this feeling that things are over for us. I don't know why, but we always do. And yet every other country would kill to have that roster and would freak out to be playing against that group of forwards and mobile defense on the back end. All of our goalies are good capable goalies, maybe not Vezina winners, but there won't be a shortage of at least good goalies to choose from. That's all we need.

The 2023 draft was Canadian-laden, the 2024 draft especially in the 1st round is at least half Canadians, and the 2020-'23 drafts have been loaded with talent that will be on these teams. Players we aren't thinking about yet too.

So do we get paranoid in Canada over this stuff too much? Not that we can't improve our program or anything but do we worry about it too much? I can already name for sure at least 10 players on that Canadian team destined for the Hall of Fame.
No Gold for that team. Goalies blow it.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The good news for Canada is that there seems to be some extremely high end/generational players that have come up through the system recently:

Bedard, Celebrini, Mckenna

Not to mention the current crop of great young defensemen and forwards being drafted.

The main issue I have is that the goaltending in this country has virtually gone dry. No real high profile goalies coming through the system though obviously this can change quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00