NCAA: Are there different kinds of rivals?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Something I was just pondering, while playing NCAA on my PS3. Are there different "kinds" of rivals?

As an ECU alumni, I can tell you that I hate with a passion, NC State, Virginia Tech, UNC, Marshall & Southern Miss. But then there are other teams like, WVU, South Carolina & Louisville, that turn up on our schedule all the time, so should probably be considered rivals, but that I really do not have any animosity against, and will sometimes even pull for them.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Of course. Eastern Washington has been the bigger threat to Montana for Big Sky superiority than Montana State has been the past dozen years or so (unlike Montana State it's a match-up that EWU frequently wins), but nobody will ever unseat Montana State as the Griz's biggest rival. Too much interconnected history there, to say nothing of a shared recruiting pool, for that to change. Eastern Washington wasn't even a tertiary rival the last time Montana won a National Championship (sigh), their football program was basically irrelevant until the late 90s and inconsistent in the earlier 2000s, but it's very heated now. Then there's the dead historical rivalry with Idaho, which ended because Idaho got sick of losing at home to a team in a lower division after they made the ill-advised jump up.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Are there different "kinds" of rivals?.

Yeah, I think so..
There are natural, regional rivalries like USC-UCLA, UVa-Va Tech, etc.. where you're just expected to hate the cross-town, in-state rival (even if you don't instinctively feel that way).
And then there are the programs on your schedule you really grow to hate for specific, non/less-rivalry reasons.. because of the opponent's coach, history of grimy players, scandals, etc. Maybe they won a game that altered your schools path to a certain Bowl game, etc..

ps- if you don't mind me asking, why do hate the Hokies with a passion (?).. that's cold.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I mean, Wisconsin's main rival is Minnesota because we've played them forever and the proximity of the schools and the axe and everything but they usually suck (Wisconsin has won 19 of the last 21 meetings), so it's not that much of a rivalry so fans have migrated more towards Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan State.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
South Carolina has minor rivalries with some of the ACC schools (in particular NC State and UNC) being it was a former member, but cheers for those schools when they play Clemson. Likewise Clemson seems to have minor rivalries with some of the SEC schools like Georgia and Auburn but Tiger fans root for those schools when they play USC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad