Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I still think the Leafs have a good enough roster to be contenders. They need to act fast and make a coaching change so that a decent defensive system can be put in place and the lines can be better sorted out. The depth players are fine. They simply have been underperforming under Keefe. I don't understand why a move has not been made yet. The player talent is there. The coaching is underwhelming.

Reactions: Krauser

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I still think the Leafs have a good enough roster to be contenders. They need to act fast and make a coaching change so that a decent defensive system can be put in place and the lines can be better sorted out. The depth players are fine. They simply have been underperforming under Keefe. I don't understand why a move has not been made yet. The player talent is there. The coaching is underwhelming.

Contenders to make the playoffs or contenders for the cup?

I think they can contend for a playoff spot.

Their roster is so paper thin and too heavy - exact opposite of a cup contending roster imo.

They def have the top end talent tho.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Their depth is atrocious. That’s not coaching.
Bertuzzi - 1 goal in last 25
Kampf - 1 goal in last 19
Gregor - 1 goal in last 19
Knies - 1 goal in last 16
Domi - 1 goal in last 14
Tavares - 1 goal in last 1

And their D is poor.
That’s not coaching. That’s team construction.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Their depth is atrocious. That’s not coaching.
Outside of the top guys, their depth is almost non existent:
Bertuzzi - 1 goal in last 25
Kampf - 1 goal in last 19
Gregor - 1 goal in last 19
Knies - 1 goal in last 16
Domi - 1 goal in last 14
Tavares - 1 goal in last 11
As I said, the depth has been underperforming under Keefe. Big difference between good players underperforming and saying the depth is atrocious. Those are far from bad players. Funny how all those guys are struggling. Something isn't working with the coach and his system.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As I said, the depth has been underperforming under Keefe. Big difference between good players underperforming and saying the depth is atrocious. Those are far from bad players. Funny how all those guys are struggling. Something isn't working with the coach and his system.
Agree to disagree.
I think it’s a poorly constructed team.
Added Klingberg, Domi, Reaves and Bertuzzi while losing solid two way depth players and never addressed the goaltending or aging and declining D.
That’s on the GM.

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Their 3rd line has 3 goals total the last 10 games

Their 4th line has 1 goal total the last 10 games

Tavares and Bertuzzi - 2/3s of their second line - has 1 goal the last 10 games.

That is 5 goals total from the whole offence minus top line and Nylander.

That depth is performing pretty atrocious. Not sure just coaching fixes that. You can put pig in a lipstick, but you also need a lot of liquor to make it work. Same thing for the leafs. I think it’s coaching and depth.

Not sure a new coach can do anything with that depth.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Agree to disagree.
I think it’s a poorly constructed team.
I don't disagree that the construction of the team could be better. It's clear that too much emphasis has been put on offensively-oriented players. I just think that there is a lot that can improved upon in the W-L column with the current roster.

No reason for that roster, shortcomings and all, to be doing as poorly as it has been doing. A new message in the room, depth players getting more defined roles, and better defensive structure would do wonders at this juncture in the season.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I'm honestly surprised that Toronto didn't take advantage of this window better. It always felt like just a matter of time until my Bruins got surpassed by the Leafs... and it just never happened. The only Bruins old left is Marchand and the Leafs still haven't caught up.

And this year really is the last year of this current window. Next year they will be too gutted. But they should have another window in this core, just need to get around of good ELC guys and the right vets in the middle of the roster. Teams like the Pens and the Bruins were able to get a second run out of their core, teams like Chicago and LA didn't (although there is still time for Kopitar and Doughty).
The Shanaplan doesn’t include foresight. So, they’ll be as they are until he’s gone.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
“Hey. Mitch. We want to trade you.”

“What?? You can’t do that! I refuse! I’m not leaving!”

“Okay”

**Mitch Marner - healthy scratch**

“I SAID IM NOT LEAVING!”

**Mitch Marner - 9 minutes of ice time**

“YOU CANT BREAK ME!”

“How does reuniting with Dubas and playing on Crosby’s wing in your contract year next year sound?”

“f*** YOU TRELIVING!”

**Mitch Marner - healthy scratch**

“What did you say about Kyle and Crosby?”

In situations like this, you just gotta think “What would Vegas do?”

Also, I can’t think of many players who would reject being traded when their team wants to trade them and they have final say in their destination.

No one wants to play on a team where they aren’t wanted
I think that the Toronto culture is very cool for Mitch. Hanging out with Beiber > Stanley Cup.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The leafs have beaten 1 playoff team in like 6 weeks and still has one of the hardest schedules remaining. I think on avg those teams are playoff caliber.

I think that the Toronto culture is very cool for Mitch. Hanging out with Beiber > Stanley Cup.
I guarantee the first loss where marner gets healthy scratched, fans are out there ready to lynch the GM and hes getting calls from the board. There is zero leverage.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Outshot 2 to 1 all year?

I guess Demko is their season.
Fortunately, for the Canucks, they saved some cap space for a goaltender. He’s part of their team. And he’s winning them games.

Sure, but there's a difference between getting outshot by 1 and getting outshot over 2 to 1.

If you keep a team at 21 shots while shooting 47 - you'll win many more than you lose.

Sure despite when the Leafs outplayed the Canucks, they didn't outplay the Canucks.
You should take a break and reflect on who won the game, and why.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Their 3rd line has 3 goals total the last 10 games

Their 4th line has 1 goal total the last 10 games

Tavares and Bertuzzi - 2/3s of their second line - has 1 goal the last 10 games.

That is 5 goals total from the whole offence minus top line and Nylander.

That depth is performing pretty atrocious. Not sure just coaching fixes that. You can put pig in a lipstick, but you also need a lot of liquor to make it work. Same thing for the leafs. I think it’s coaching and depth.

Not sure a new coach can do anything with that depth.
Having cheap depth (due to no cap) will kill you in the playoffs. Yet Leafs have been doing the same thing for what, 8 years. By cheap, I mean settling for less, as they have no choice.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Fortunately, for the Canucks, they saved some cap space for a goaltender. He’s part of their team. And he’s winning them games.

You should take a break and reflect on who won the game, and why.

Vancouver won solely because their best goaltender isn’t injured.

Demko could have been injured instead of Woll, that has nothing to do with cap space.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
By far the biggest issue with the team is goaltending right now. Woll is supposed to return in February and has been really good in his NHL career so far. That should make a massive difference.

I'm definitely fine with firing Keefe tho. Treliving is a moron and made a ton of bad moves but Tyler Bertuzzi was a way better player under other coaches, for one example.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
By far the biggest issue with the team is goaltending right now. Woll is supposed to return in February and has been really good in his NHL career so far. That should make a massive difference.

I'm definitely fine with firing Keefe tho. Treliving is a moron and made a ton of bad moves but Tyler Bertuzzi was a way better player under other coaches, for one example.
Hard to say with Woll, coming off a high ankle sprain, skaters struggle afterwards, and most say takes up to a year, to feel normal.
Depends how bad it was initially I guess, could be harder for a goalie with a high ankle sprain.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You line up excuses. But getting by injured players is a huge part of succeeding. The Leafs left themselves no room to adjust. For whatever reason that you wish to pretend isn’t real.

That makes no sense. They signed two goalies who both had .919+ seasons last year. No room to adjust - okay. Just like the Canucks last year when Demko was injured and then sucked?

Crazy what injuries to your goalies can do. The Canucks should have left themselves some room to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad