Are the Rangers Good or just Hot

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Alot of teams this year have had hot and cold streaks. Are the Rangers just in a Hot Streak or are they a good team?

Both. They're better than their record indicates, but they're where they should be in the standings.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

They are hot hot hot.

Seriously though I do think they are a combination of the two. I think they are a good team who is absolutely on fire at the moment. When this hot streak ends I don't expect them to go back to how they were in October/December.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think they are ~4-5 in the East. 12-15 in the NHL.

I think they're the 3rd best in the East, though that doesn't say much.

Tampa is right behind them, but their piss poor defense puts them down.

Montreal can't score.

Toronto should be getting shredded every night, but they're the bar-none luckiest team in the NHL.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think the Rangers are a good team, but not a team that will continue streaking like they have.

If they're just hot, this is an awfully long hot streak. 15-5-1 in their last 21 games.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
To me, hot indicates a better than average 20 game stretch which in this case it would suggest that the Rangers are hot.

That said, -31- posted a link I think it was yesterday that showed that since the beginning of November that teh Rangers are the 7th best team in the league which I think lends itself to being a good team.

So, to answer your question, I think the only reply is Yes.

The Rangers ARE good and the Rangers ARE hot.

3 months is not hot. That's good. 20 games is hot.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Not fair to call them hot - this run has gone on too long to simply be a team that is hot and can cool off at any time. That said, it should be mentioned that this run has also included an incredible amount of home games...payoff for that season opening road trip, and then some.

Where do they ultimately rank in the East? I think it's very clear we are a couple of notches below Boston and Pittsburgh. As for the rest of the conference, you would have to think Tampa Bay with a healthy Stamkos is also a clearly better team - you can make the argument they're a better team than us WITHOUT Stamkos. We have Columbus and the Flyers (go figure - they found a goalie!) starting to build the same kind of streak we are on, and Carolina has also been playing well.

I know it's popular to say we can beat Boston and Pittsburgh because 'anything can happen in the playoffs'. Well, anything can happen in the regular season too, and we are only a few points secure of a playoff spot at the moment. A two game losing streak would change the perspective completely.

I suppose I've seen them outplayed by the stinky Islanders way too often (even in Friday's 4-1 victory) during this 'hot' streak to be overly optimistic.

Another factor will be the re-entry of the Sochi guys at the end of February. Hopefully there are no injuries or carry-over from the travel or simply playing so much hockey.

And hopefully Brad Richards can manage to stay in shape for the two and a half weeks he won't be playing hockey. Go easy at the luau Brad!

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think they are ~4-5 in the East. 12-15 in the NHL.

I think they are what many thought they would be. 3rd best team in the east behind boston and Pitts. Even with the roster moves last season, they are still more proven then Montreal, Toronto, and Tampa, and better constructed for playoff success. None of those teams, have close to the caliber of Defense the rangers do.

And the west is sorting itself out right now. Would not be surprised to see LA fizzle, would not be surprised to see SJ ousted early. Chicago, Anahiem, St. Louis.

Chicago
Anahiem
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Boston

San Jose
New York
LA
Colorado
Tampa

Definitely a top 10 team

Additionally Ive been thinking quietly to myself, I'd hate to have to face Washington in the playoffs again with Ryan Miller in net for them. I hope he teams up with Parise in Minnesota and stays away from Wash and Philly.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think they are this good. It took them time to get used to the system but now Hank is playing like normal, the D is not offensive but they are rather deep and they have 3 scoring lines and a good checking 4h line

Not sure how they can trade pieces if they are playing this well. Giraradi and Callahan may force their hand with demands but that would be real unfortunate as this team seems to get what AV wants now

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Both. They're better than their record indicates, but they're where they should be in the standings.

I'd agree with this... I do think the record isn't a good representative of the team especially the beginning of the season... A new coach plus Hank was the worst I could remember, never mind Nash getting hurt, starting the season without Hagelin and Callahan, and finally the long road trip. That's a recipe for disaster but I also agree they aren't a power house but certainly not a .500 team

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm reserving judgement until we see what this team looks like after the olympic break and trade deadline.

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014
Both. I think they just needed time to gel with the new coach and some players are now learning to play to their full potential without worry of being "Torts'd"

I just worry about the upcoming 2 weeks that they will be dismantled.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would say both. Their being hot has just put their record where it belongs. There's 25 games left. I wouldn't be surprised to see them 16-8-1 over it, which is just slightly better than their current record and would put them right around 100 points, which is where I expected to see them.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
While the team shouldn't be as bad as they were in the first half of the season, the Rangers have also faced mostly weak teams in their last 13 games. Only four of those have been of noticable quality (Chicago, Tampa, St Louis and Colorado).

While the Rangers should be a playoff contender, hold all verdicts until they consecutively face some strong opposition.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
My NHL top-10 right now:

1. Chicago - They have everything but solid goaltending.
2. San José - See Chicago, slightly worse overall.
3. St. Louis - See Chicago and San José, not enough top-end talent.
4. NYR - Complete team that lacks top-end talent up front. But they can forget how to play hockey completely without warning - see that abysmal stretch in December that was even worse than our start to the season.
5. Boston - See NYR. Not as bad at their worst, but more inconsistent level of play - although their scoring doesn't disapprear in the same alraming way.
6. Los Angeles - Dominant possession team that can't score to save their lives. Could be dangerous if they acquire Gagner. Quick is mediocre and he needs to be elite for them to compete with their scoring issues.
7. Pittsburgh - Holes all over the lineup, but still Malkin and Crosby. Above average 5v5 team with amazing special teams. May struggle in the playoffs with higher focus on 5v5 play.
8. Anaheim - A lot of overachievers that will likely fall off. Their strong possession play from the start of the season has disappeared, if they can rediscover it they will rush up the rankings.
9. Columbus - They have gone from looking like a lotter team for the first ~30 games to looking like a legit cup contender since. I'm honestly more scared of facing Columbus than Pittsburgh in the playoffs if they can keep this up. Trending sharply upwards.
10. Dallas - Strong possession team that has been surging lately - although their record doesn't reflect it. Seguin-Benn are a dangerous duo, and their forward depth is impressive - but they sort of have three 3rd lines. If Lehtonen can pick it up, they could be dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad