Are the Leafs a top 5 Stanley Cup contender going into next season?

Are the Leafs a top 5 Stanley Cup favorite for this upcoming season?

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I'm told losing in the 1st round is more important than reaching a conference finals. They also got a ton of respect in the handshake line. Gotta be top 5 then right?

All jokes aside, I have them in the 5-7 range.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
top 10 no way there top 5... I don't care how good a reg season they have.. you can't be top 5 favorites when you can't even win one round for multiple years now when they should of atleast broke thru to a conference final once.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes I have them there

Part of the issue is that there isn't a top 5. It's a top 2. The other contenders who I might be tempted to put other Toronto took a step back. It's really the playoff reputation that's holding the Leafs back and that's ultimately a small sample, so I wouldn't be too convinced of it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I do think the "can't win a round" trope is super overrated. The Habs series, sure, but Boston and Tampa were elite teams. Once they get the monkey off their back, sky is the limit.

Well... goaltending is the limit.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

The90

Feb 27, 2017
top 10 no way there top 5... I don't care how good a reg season they have.. you can't be top 5 favorites when you can't even win one round for multiple years now when they should of atleast broke thru to a conference final once.
Interesting (not really), how the bar for whether they can be taken serious is if they’ve been to a single conference final. Interesting

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I'm told losing in the 1st round is more important than reaching a conference finals. They also got a ton of respect in the handshake line. Gotta be top 5 then right?

All jokes aside, I have them in the 5-7 range.
5krT.gif

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Easily a top 3-5 team during the regular season.
Playoffs are a different beast.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Not true. They are actually a pretty good playoff team. Better than most. Just not so great at close out games. A team that is soft and lacks character doesnt tske the lightning to the brink. If only Kerfoot and that puck had more character in ot in Game 6 on the breakaway. Suddenly the team would be full of character according to many.
Panthers took the Lightning to 7 2 years ago without Ekblad then lost to them 4-0 last year with Ekblad who cares how close a series was either you win or lose.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Not true. They are actually a pretty good playoff team. Better than most. Just not so great at close out games. A team that is soft and lacks character doesnt tske the lightning to the brink. If only Kerfoot and that puck had more character in ot in Game 6 on the breakaway. Suddenly the team would be full of character according to many.

Really you could argue they won that round, and who knows how far they actually went. Maybe they won it all.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
They are 2nd in odds in most betting sites. Though that may be influenced by fanbase which is more likely to bet on bad odds. I don't know how the oddsmakers make their odds, if it's just raw probability estimation and banking on the margins or are things like that included.
Things like that are more important than actual odds

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
They’ll likely finish with a top 5 regular season record again, but until they can make it to at least the Conference Finals, they can’t be considered a serious contender.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s rare but teams have won the Cup with bad goaltending before. I’m not sure that any team has ever won with a duo as bad as Murray/Samsonov have been for the last three years though. So while I think they could finish top 5 in the season and that they have a top contending team in every other position, I don’t think they’re one of the top five teams likely to go all the way because of their goaltending.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s rare but teams have won the Cup with bad goaltending before. I’m not sure that any team has ever won with a duo as bad as Murray/Samsonov have been for the last three years though. So while I think they could finish top 5 in the season and that they have a top contending team in every other position, I don’t think they’re one of the top five teams likely to go all the way because of their goaltending.

Kuemper's playoff performance this past playoffs, and Niemi's performance during the 2010 Hawks' Cup run come to mind.

And honestly, Fleury's performance in the 2009 Cup run was 50% great, 50% "bad goaltending". So obviously they needed that 50% great to win, but it wasn't like he gave them strong goaltending the entire run, or even the majority of it. Each series (other than the Carolina one) was basically 4 good games (the wins) and 3 bad games (the losses).

Leafs just have to hope Murray can re-find his game and stay healthy, the latter having the greatest effect on the former.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Kuemper's playoff performance this past playoffs, and Niemi's performance during the 2010 Hawks' Cup run come to mind.

And honestly, Fleury's performance in the 2009 Cup run was 50% great, 50% "bad goaltending". So obviously they needed that 50% great to win, but it wasn't like he gave them strong goaltending the entire run, or even the majority of it. Each series (other than the Carolina one) was basically 4 good games (the wins) and 3 bad games (the losses).

Leafs just have to hope Murray can re-find his game and stay healthy, the latter having the greatest effect on the former.
Those are probably the closest examples but I’m focusing on their regular season numbers. Niemi had a .912 save percentage the year the Hawks won the Cup which was really his first year playing even as a 1B. Another guy is Binnington but again this was his first year and he had a .927 save percentage that season. Kuemper’s last three years before the Cup win were .925, .928 and .907. And in the Cup year it was .921 Those are top 10 numbers even playing on Arizona.
I can’t think of a duo that had below .900 numbers as an average for the last 3 years and won the Cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad