Are the Leafs a top 5 Stanley Cup contender going into next season?

Are the Leafs a top 5 Stanley Cup favorite for this upcoming season?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's been a set of polls done on HF ranking the top cup contenders going into next season these past few weeks. And in those polls, Leafs ended up ranking 4th in terms of teams most likely to win the cup.

Personally I think that's way too high. Really good core, but they haven't won a single playoff round in ages. Also - big turnover at goalie position and with a lot of question marks still in nets for next season.

So what do you think? Are Leafs a top 5 cup contender or not?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Buckle up boys. This’ll be a fun thread. I expect all the usual suspects will be here.

I’d have them in the 4-10 range.

Attachments

• DCAF774D-8AFA-40B0-9067-436D97555FFC.jpeg
    DCAF774D-8AFA-40B0-9067-436D97555FFC.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Maybe we should start one for the Habs? Anyway, not sure how anyone can answer this right now. They have a good enough team from the net out to be top 5. Still shocked they took such a huge gamble in net. Guess we will find out soon enough

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Went with top ten but I'm being conservative. There is only a couple western teams worth worrying about. After Colorado and Tampa we fall into a cluster with a few other teams that could go either way like the Canes. Florida, Calgary, Ranger. I'm sure I'm missing a few. If the Oil add a serious dman I'd add them. Not sure about Vegas or StL this year. They could be back in the mix.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nah, I don’t think so. That core just can’t step up and just put away a team. Not sure they ever will. We shall see, I guess. Don’t see what is so special about this team beyond the top 4 forwards anyway. A whole bunch of meh. Also, on D, Rielly is not in the same tier as a Hedman or Makar and some other guys. The D just got older and slower. I just don’t see it with this group.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Their forwards are there for sure...Its the defense and goaltending that has some questions,going with top 10 but could go on a run

Reactions: HabsQC

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Maybe we should start one for the Habs? Anyway, not sure how anyone can answer this right now. They have a good enough team from the net out to be top 5. Still shocked they took such a huge gamble in net. Guess we will find out soon enough

The Habs are going to be a pretty terrible team this year. The one off-chance they had of maybe making a bit of noise was a returning healthy Price - but that obviously isn't happening. So why would we start a thread for the Habs?

As for "how can anyone answer this right now"....why not? I'm asking you to pick who you rank as favorites. Not to predict who will actually win.

I agree that Murray is a gamble. The positive thing about it is, if he's on his game, he's amazing and is exactly the type of goalie who could lead them to a cup (he was amazing in both Pen runs). But obviously, it's been a while he's played at that level, so it's a big gamble, and more likely he ends up again being subpar this year.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They gotta win a round in the playoffs to be a contender. Talent is always there but that's not helped for the past several years.

Their goaltending is very suspect.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I'd like to know the 5 ahead of then if they aren't.
I'd have Colorado, Florida, Carolina and Tampa ahead of them. Then a group with the Rangers, Leafs, Oilers, I also have a hard time counting out teams like Pitt, Minnesota, St. Louis and Boston, but they would certainly be a wrung below.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
They are 2nd in odds in most betting sites. Though that may be influenced by fanbase which is more likely to bet on bad odds. I don't know how the oddsmakers make their odds, if it's just raw probability estimation and banking on the margins or are things like that included.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think overall Toronto got a bit worse this off season especially in goal and a bit at forward.
My top five are
Colorado
Tampa
Carolina
NYR
Florida

Then I think the next three are:
Minnesota
St. Louis
Toronto

So comfortably top 10. However generally teams don’t win the Cup unless they’ve had some prior playoff success so I think this year is more about getting that monkey off their back.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yes and no.

Yes, they have a very talented roster that could produce a cup in a vacuum setting.

No, they play in a murderous division with a bunch of teams with veteran groups that've had long runs in the playoffs; added on top of their roster that has underperformed in the playoffs as well as pushing their chips into a goalie that is really questionable.

I'd have them in the next tier.

I like Colorado as the favourite.
I like Carolina as a team that could come out of the metro.
It's hard to bet against Tampa that just did multiple trips to the finals.
Then you have Calgary/Edmonton that'll be playing it out in the Pacific and will likely only come down to an Avs series.

If someone said top 5 it wouldn't be an absurdity, but if someone said 7-9th I also wouldn't be disgusted.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Honestly, after Colorado and Tampa I'm not sure there's a clear 3rd most likely winner. Pick one of Toronto/Florida/NYR/Carolina/St.Louis/Minnesota/Edmonton/Calgary and it's all somewhat the same. All of them feel somewhat flawed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad