Islanders Point Blank: Are the Isles Ready to Take Off?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/are-the-islanders-ready-to-take-off/

The Islanders defeated the Ducks on Friday night to cap a West Coast swing where the club took two-of-three. And, to a man, New York thinks they’ve righted the ship.

“The important thing for us is to build toward playing that type of game consistently, like we did last year,†Cal Clutterbuck told reporters after the game. “I think it’s taken us a little bit longer this year. But these last three games — even the second last half of our game against Boston (on Sunday) — have been a pretty good indication that we’re starting to find it.â€

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Seems like we are going through our normal late October to Mid December downturn we usually go through, only this time we actually are winning a few games.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
in the standings or to Seattle?

not sure which one is more likely...

Seriously though, I am a believer in this roster but not the coaching staff. Does anyone really think that a jack capuano led team has a higher ceiling than 4th in the conference and a 2nd round exit?

Last edited:

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think if Pelech stays, this will be another piece added to the D, especially if he can play and cover with Strait. Three pairings is key to any run. Queue Frans and the second line gives another balance to the offensive attack. Nelson hopefully stays hot and becomes a consistent forward and lives up to his new ĉontract along with Lee. Grabo, Lee, Bailey, Kulemin all players signed to serious contracts so Snow and Cappy have to prove their judgement.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think if Pelech stays, this will be another piece added to the D, especially if he can play and cover with Strait. Three pairings is key to any run. Queue Frans and the second line gives another balance to the offensive attack. Nelson hopefully stays hot and becomes a consistent forward and lives up to his new ĉontract along with Lee. Grabo, Lee, Bailey, Kulemin all players signed to serious contracts so Snow and Cappy have to prove their judgement.
Pelech stays, buy out Zid(nowhere near the talent Viz has, there are better options because Zid is supposed to help the PP), and make Strait sell popcorn in the nosebleed section of Barclay's.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Are they? Review so far:

The Master Plan has gone off the tracks in some areas:

-Team was expected to be a great possession team that outshot opponents.

-Was expected to score freely, not struggle.

- Strome, Nelson, Lee counted on to show marked progression. Strome is now in Bridgeport and not doing much there.

- Nelson and Lee have been disappointing until just recently.

- Leddy was counted on to add offense, but he has looked below last year's level of play in all areas.

- Zid was supposed to add offense and PP quarterbacking. Not.

Those are the negatives to the narrative of "taking off".

Offsetting those are unexpectedly good goaltending from both Halak and Greiss. Greiss is the big surprise here. These two have given the Isles chances to win even when not playing well.

The team is kind of in a state of suspension between disappointing and flashing potential. As of today they trail the Rags division lead by 9 big points, and hold down a tie for 4th in the Metro with the surprising Devils.
They are at a stage where going in either direction for the next 30 days could cement their year end position. Playing .500 hockey will not cut it but still leave hope the can beat out the Pens and Devils, but not the Caps and Rags.

So at this point, it could not be said that they are ready to take off. It should be said that they NEED to take off and establish their positioning, challenge the Caps for 2nd.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am with you Bill. They took advantage of the start of the season, doing well on the back of some good individual efforts and strong net minding. Other than that their effort despite the standings have raised eyebrows in the game day threads more times than not, even from posters who are more willing to overlook issues to remain positive.

They don't look ready to me either.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't think they are ready to push back even.

Actually-- the door is still open.....

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Are they? Review so far:

The Master Plan has gone off the tracks in some areas:

-Team was expected to be a great possession team that outshot opponents.

-Was expected to score freely, not struggle.

- Strome, Nelson, Lee counted on to show marked progression. Strome is now in Bridgeport and not doing much there.

- Nelson and Lee have been disappointing until just recently.

- Leddy was counted on to add offense, but he has looked below last year's level of play in all areas.

- Zid was supposed to add offense and PP quarterbacking. Not.

Those are the negatives to the narrative of "taking off".

Offsetting those are unexpectedly good goaltending from both Halak and Greiss. Greiss is the big surprise here. These two have given the Isles chances to win even when not playing well.

The team is kind of in a state of suspension between disappointing and flashing potential. As of today they trail the Rags division lead by 9 big points, and hold down a tie for 4th in the Metro with the surprising Devils.
They are at a stage where going in either direction for the next 30 days could cement their year end position. Playing .500 hockey will not cut it but still leave hope the can beat out the Pens and Devils, but not the Caps and Rags.

So at this point, it could not be said that they are ready to take off. It should be said that they NEED to take off and establish their positioning, challenge the Caps for 2nd.

Isles really struggled last year when Lubo was injured (regular season and playoffs) and it mainly was because he excelled at the transition game. Zid is a downgrade in that department.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
They look ready to roll to me...I guess we'll see tonight.

Nelson has woken up- just so much more confident with the puck; he's really driving the play...and the new D pairings look good too. Hammer and Leddy are really hauling that puck well.

The F-Lee-Bailey line is really advocating for itself- this looks like our best line right now. They're courting this fan with their play anyway.

:sarcasm:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isles really struggled last year when Lubo was injured (regular season and playoffs) and it mainly was because he excelled at the transition game. Zid is a downgrade in that department.

Remember, Zid has been paired mostly with Strait. The few games Thomas Hickey was healthy and paired with Zid they seemed to be more adept at transition.

I would still rather see someone other than Zidlicky but I think he is hampered by being paired with Brian Strait.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
This Isles might take off.

They are winning in spite of Cappy.

No Cappy? Higher chance of taking off.

scott99

May 13, 2005
This team goes nowhere with Cappy at the helm. EVEN if they squeak into the playoffs, Cappy'll **** it up and it'll be an early exit once again. Hate to be negative, but I expected them to take a step back this year, I thought they snuck up on teams early last year as well as rode an emotional high from the last season at the Coliseum. They have neither going for them this year.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Taking off

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad