Are the Flames better or worse after this off-season?

Are the Flames better or worse after this off-season?

• Better

Votes: 210 52.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 111 27.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 97 24.0%

• Total voters

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
They certainly aren't better and I would say they are likely worse but in an attempt to be positive and hopeful I will say they are the same, which isn't great since they screwed up their future and being the same isn't close to good enough.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 9.40.07 AM.png

Meh. Laugh it up all you like. It's true.

And anyone who thinks otherwise, likely doesn't know much about Hockey. :)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
View attachment 578086

Meh. Laugh it up all you like. It's true.

And anyone who thinks otherwise, likely doesn't know much about Hockey. :)
Gaudreau literally had one of the best ES seasons in decades and was the best player on the best line in hockey...Huberdeau wasn't even the best player on his team FFS
Tkachuk is younger and better than Kadri with more room to grow
Weegar had the worst ES GA on the team (yes, a lot of factors)...he's a high event defenseman

just my opinion but I'm rarely wrong ;)

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Gaudreau literally had one of the best ES seasons in decades and was the best player on the best line in hockey...Huberdeau wasn't even the best player on his team FFS
Weegar had the worst ES GA on the team (yes, a lot of factors)...he's a high event defenseman

LOL. Nah. Huberdeau was equally as good last year, and quite a bit better over the last 4 years. I already said that Tkachuk was better than Kadri. And Weegar is soooooooooooo much better than Gudbranson.

So............yeah, you are indeed wrong. Congrats on that. :)

Reactions: Flamesgod

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kadri plays to his contract, so look out for that. Wouldn't be shocked with a 65-70 point season. Huberdeau is equivalent to Gaudreau. Even if Gaudy is better it's not enough of a gap to say one is better, imo. Weegar makes up the difference between Tkachuck and Kadri imo. So I'll say slightly better.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think they just moved laterally. A little different look but I still expect them to perform the same.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think the Flames are better on paper for this upcoming season, BUT I'd definitely take Gaudreau-Tkachuk-cap space on their current deals over Kadri-Huberdeau-Weegar on next year's contracts.

The top line will not be as good. That is clear. But the Flames scoring depth wasn't great last season. Having Kadri on line two should help, plus hopefully bounceback from Dube and the x-factor is Pelletier if he makes the roster

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
The Flames are much better off. When Weegar signs they have three who WANT to be there. That in itself is worth any difference in talent (and then some).
Yes, because God knows aging UFAs don't usually sign big money terms with teams they have no attachment to right before shitting the bed.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

How does huberdeau breaking the LW assists record factor in all of that?

Not saying your opinion had to change, but I'd argue huberdeau isn't some chump for not being the best player on his team. otherwise draisaitl is a chump for not being better than McDavid, which we both know that's not true.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How does huberdeau breaking the LW assists record factor in all of that?

Not saying your opinion had to change, but I'd argue huberdeau isn't some chump for not being the best player on his team. otherwise draisaitl is a chump for not being better than McDavid, which we both know that's not true.
He played on one of most offensive teams the league has seen in decades

He wasn’t the best player on his own team though..unlike Gaudreau
At 29, he’s now expected to go to a different team, a Canadian market and different conference and be the best player

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He played on one of most offensive teams the league has seen in decades

He wasn’t the best player on his own team though..unlike Gaudreau
At 29, he’s now expected to go to a different team, a Canadian market and different conference and be the best player

Even then, you don't typically luck or passenger your way to an NHL record like that, especially if it's only "one if the" teams of the past few decades. To be fair, Gaudreau broke it too with 75 (previously 70). But huberdeau holds it with 85.

Concerns about new team, sure, valid. We'll have to see how he responds under Sutter (same criticism as Gaudreau till this past season). Fingers crossed huberdeau responds like Gaudreau did this past season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Even then, you don't typically luck or passenger your way to an NHL record like that, especially if it's only "one if the" teams of the past few decades. To be fair, Gaudreau broke it too with 75 (previously 70). But huberdeau holds it with 85.

Concerns about new team, sure, valid. We'll have to see how he responds under Sutter (same criticism as Gaudreau till this past season). Fingers crossed huberdeau responds like Gaudreau did this past season.
The problem is people think you can plug in one 115 point player with another 115 point player and it’s equal.. it’s not
Gaudreau was literally the best player on the best line in hockey last year, he grew with the organization and knew what it took to play in Western Canada
Huberdeau had a wonderful year, but is coming from the sunny beaches of Florida to a Canadian market to replace a star player and line driver and expected to do the same..he doesn’t have Barkov in Calgary now to carry the burden

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The problem is people think you can plug in one 115 point player with another 115 point player and it’s equal.. it’s not
Gaudreau was literally the best player on the best line in hockey last year, he grew with the organization and knew what it took to play in Western Canada
Huberdeau had a wonderful year, but is coming from the sunny beaches of Florida to a Canadian market to replace a star player and line driver and expected to do the same..he doesn’t have Barkov in Calgary now to carry the burden
Ok, let's simplify this down to brass tacks.

Do you think the Flames have a roster that will continue to contribute to an exciting BOA for the next 2-3 seasons?

If yes, I'll take those chances and I'm Damn happy the Flames on ice product for this coming season shouldn't be pure trash.

I'm also assuming also this is doable with a bit of regular season performance regression, so last year's career seasons aren't required to hit that level of success as long as the regression isn't too drastic.

From here on out, we just have to watch the teams play it out for real. On paper though, this seems like a group worth getting on the edge of your seat, just to see whether they blown up the other team, or if the other team blows them up.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ok, let's simplify this down to brass tacks.

Do you think the Flames have a roster that will continue to contribute to an exciting BOA for the next 2-3 seasons?

If yes, I'll take those chances and I'm Damn happy the Flames on ice product for this coming season shouldn't be pure trash.

I'm also assuming also this is doable with a bit of regular season performance regression, so last year's career seasons aren't required to hit that level of success as long as the regression isn't too drastic.

From here on out, we just have to watch the teams play it out for real. On paper though, this seems like a group worth getting on the edge of your seat, just to see whether they blown up the other team, or if the other team blows them up.
You seems to be content with “slightly above average” and that is fine…but as you saw in the playoffs, the Superstars make the difference..like Connor and Leon…or MacKinnon and Makar
Flames don’t have those guys..plain and simple

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You seems to be content with “slightly above average” and that is fine…but as you saw in the playoffs, the Superstars make the difference..like Connor and Leon…or MacKinnon and Makar

I don't have a vote in the direction of the team. Edward's is against rebuilding, this is the best option with that mandate in place.

Flames have a chance at top 4 to exit on the west. If we take futures and upgrade top 6 RW and another piece, I think we have a better chance to lock in that top 4 exit for 2-3 years. That's all we can hope for.

If we should have rebuilt, then this aged roster should finally force the hand of ownership, no? Same ownership with mandate who decided to have a playoff mandate with 1C Matt Stajan vs chance CMD or Eichel. The future 3rd+ year losses might be a multi decade victory in the making for getting a rebuild.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010

Did the Blues of 2019 have that guy?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Gaudreau + MT + Monahan > Kadri + hubby + Weager.

Surprised by the results, flames are clearly worse.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
On paper, better. On the ice, worse. Pretty much all those guys, in and out, had career years last year. I don’t think any of them match PY performance.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Hard to say. Likely about the same but team chemistry is a thing and we have no idea how all the new pieces are going to fit together. Best case scenerio for the Flames is a bit of a slow start but getting stronger as the year goes on and the team comes together in time for the playoffs. Worst case the team never meshes and they dont even make the playoffs. Probably somewhere in between.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
On paper they lost talent but gained better roster depth. On paper I say they got ever so slightly better, however the x-factor is we already know Gaudreau/Tkachuk clicked really well whereas we don't know how the new components will mesh or if Kadri is a one hit wonder. (He was always a good player but we are assuming he's the player of last season for this poll to make sense).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad