Are the Flames better or worse after this off-season?

Are the Flames better or worse after this off-season?

• Better

Votes: 210 52.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 111 27.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 97 24.0%

• Total voters

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Not even close to true. Huberdeau can put up points when he has someone else to do the hard work for him but he's never been a guy who drives his line. That's been a weakness his entire career and doesn't seem likely to change now. Gaudreau is a much more impactful player and not by a small amount.
So who was carrying Huberdeau then? Do tell. Was it career 3rd liner Sam Bennett, who's career improved only after joining Huberdeau's line? What about the rotating cast of RWers that line had? Yea that must be it

Reactions: Flamesgod

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Not quite. Gaudreau put up considerably more points while a part of his line at 5v5/ES than Huberdeau did as part of his regular linemates. But it’s understandable given the linemate difference. Huberdeau did show he could produce well as the best player on his line with ok linemates, but it’s not a given he would have been as good as Gaudreau was with the quality of Gaudreau’s linemates. Huberdeau was a better PP player though, so it should likely balance out
If Gaudreau was so great, wouldn't his play improve on the PP? Shouldn't he have massively outproduced Huberdeau given his better 5v5 linemates and comparable PP time?

Flamesgod

Jun 15, 2019
This is hilarious. Only after the Flames acquire a player that just put up 115 pts, is there this much negativity surrounding it. 115 pts and he can’t carry his line? I’d have to be incredibly stupid too believe that. Over the last 4 seasons he has the best PPG on the panthers. He’ll have much better regular line mates this year also. This narrative is from butt hurt Oilers and Panthers fans.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
So who was carrying Huberdeau then? Do tell. Was it career 3rd liner Sam Bennett, who's career improved only after joining Huberdeau's line? What about the rotating cast of RWers that line had? Yea that must be it

Huberdeau is better when Sam Bennett is on the ice with him than he is when Sam Bennett is not on the ice. Even when he was mired on the third line in Calgary, Bennett generally made the players around him better.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I doubt Huberdeau ever gets 85 assists again but he is a very good player, so is Kadri. They are really good replacements for what the Flames lost. I would say the Flames are likely about the same.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If Gaudreau was so great, wouldn't his play improve on the PP? Shouldn't he have massively outproduced Huberdeau given his better 5v5 linemates and comparable PP time?
Because Florida had a way more talented PP? Gaudreau was used to facilitate the PP on the zone entry and they had him playing very high - almost like the point man. So he ended up getting a bunch of tertiary assists.

Huberdeau played much lower on the Panthers PP and wasn't asked to do zone entries. Also helps that he played like 40 more minutes on the PP.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You realize some players are better at different game states than others, correct?

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Around the same. I'm not expecting Huberdeau and Weegar to suddenly become playoff performers but I'd like them to prove me wrong

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I voted better,not in overall skill...But in team construction,they were never going to be able to outskill teams like EDM or Col....So building a fast structured team that can play team defense like their coach prefers is a better route to go

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Short-term? Better
Long-term? Worse

But if they win a cup in the next 2-3 years, who cares? It's worth it.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think it’s hard to say. Their GM definitely deserves a ton of credit for salvaging what was looking like a disaster of an off season.

I think Johnny Hockey is a better player than Hubs and Tkachuk is better than Kadri.
They did improve their defence but I don’t think Weegar makes or breaks a season for anyone.
I’m also curious how the 2 new forwards to I’ll fit into Sutter’s system. Kadri definitely seems like his kind of player but Huberdeau’s defencive play will drive him insane.

Playoff Kadri is the real wildcard here. When he is in the lineup he has clearly been the best playoff performer of the 4 forwards in question but you also can’t ignore that he has trouble handling his emotions on that elevated stage resulting in him taking major suspensions 3 times in 4 years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In: Weegar/Huberdeau/Kadri
Out: Tkachuk/Johnny
Actually its...

In: Weegar/Huberdeau/Kadri /Rooney
Out: Tkachuk/ Gaudreau/Monahan/ Gudbranson/ B Ritchie/B Richardson/C Jarnkrok/ R Carpenter

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Completely worse. This is not a video game. Chemistry between players matters.

And they signed some contracts they’ll regret. They should’ve been rebuilding once those two left.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The team needs to gel and build chemistry right out of the gate. Their top 2 lines will be completely new.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Depends if the new top players now for the Flames can be as good as Johnny and Tkachuck were offensively. Both those players had great chemistry together.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
You sound pretty definite and that you know what you're talking about.
What numbers should I pick to win the lottery this week?
The Flames top line had some of the wackiest on ice goal impacts over a full season since Gretzky & the dynasty Oilers. Whatever happens, their top line will certainly not be anywhere near as good as it was last year. Maybe the other lines will pick up the slack. I'd expect Flames to decline a bit though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad