Are the Eastern playoff teams already decided?

Are the top 8 Eastern teams already decided?

• Total voters

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Columbus had the same record as Toronto did going into the play-in’s, they were the 8-9 seeds… WDYM?
Do you keep forgetting that Toronto wildly underperformed that season to the point that a coaching change had to be made? Columbus was horrible. We were miles ahead of them talent wise

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you keep forgetting that Toronto wildly underperformed that season to the point that a coaching change had to be made? Columbus was horrible. We were miles ahead of them talent wise

From when Keefe took over (Nov.21):

Standings:

Screenshot_20220122-010311_Chrome.jpg

And the best defensive teams from that point on:

Screenshot_20220122-010345_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Nylanderthal

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Winning the division isn't all it's cracked up to be. The best thing for Atlantic teams is to flee the Atlantic entirely and face leader of the Metro. Winning the division only buys you 1 round escape. Saying bye to our friends will result in 2 rounds of escape, with the slight chance second (or other) wild card team can go assassin mode for us.

I mean the Metro isn't easy either but I still feel more confident going there.
This post has me picturing the Leafs drifting away on a boat shouting "peace out suckers" to Florida and Tampa shaking their fists like an angry mob watching us from the shore.

Reactions: Doubledose

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Winning the division isn't all it's cracked up to be. The best thing for Atlantic teams is to flee the Atlantic entirely and face leader of the Metro. Winning the division only buys you 1 round escape. Saying bye to our friends will result in 2 rounds of escape, with the slight chance second (or other) wild card team can go assassin mode for us.

I mean the Metro isn't easy either but I still feel more confident going there.

The two teams that scares me in the East are Pitts with Jarry in nets and two HOF Centers, great coach. Carolina with a really well balanced team and a smart coach. For the rest of the East I think we will win a 7 game series, where we bring our best and they bring their best, the rest of the east does not worry meat all. Florida with Quenneville behind the bench concerned me but now, not so much.

Reactions: Jojalu and Havoc

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Talent yeah we were easily the better team, coaching there was massive gulf in experience and ability between Torts and Keefe and that is one of the key ingredients in playoff hockey, a coaching staff who can adjust during the series based on conditions during the game. Torts won that series, Keefe was simply out coached.

Put Quenneville, Gallant, Cooper, Cassidy, Trotz, Sullivan behind the Leaf bench in the last two series.... I think we win vs CBJ and vs Montreal. I firmly believe we will not win a Cup with Keefe behind our bench. Put it this way I'd rather play vs a team that Keefe coaches than on a team Keefe coaches.

Reactions: egd27

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
St Lou,, Minny and CBJ surprise me. I thought we were better than that. I'll take top 10 vs what Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal are going through right now.

Those numbers were only for that 19-20 season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Talent yeah we were easily the better team, coaching there was massive gulf in experience and ability between Torts and Keefe and that is one of the key ingredients in playoff hockey, a coaching staff who can adjust during the series based on conditions during the game. Torts won that series, Keefe was simply out coached.

Put Quenneville, Gallant, Cooper, Cassidy, Trotz, Sullivan behind the Leaf bench in the last two series.... I think we win vs CBJ and vs Montreal. I firmly believe we will not win a Cup with Keefe behind our bench. Put it this way I'd rather play vs a team that Keefe coaches than on a team Keefe coaches.
His in-game adjustments were just..... sad

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

Couldn’t agree more with this statement

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would we be playing Boston if we fall to 4 or stay in 3rd?

A divisional series is only a guarantee for a 2 vs 3 matchup. The games in hand make it possible - albeit unlikely - for the Leafs to usurp the Lightning from 2nd. Boston faces the much tougher task in moving up too (even to 3rd). I find the likelihood of a Toronto-Boston first round series to be really slim right now.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yup, and they were 2 weeks ago too. Who in that bottom group could make a run (spoiler, none)? And which of the top teams goes in the tank (spoiler, none)? Both of those things have to happen for any swap to happen.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yup, and they were 2 weeks ago too. Who in that bottom group could make a run (spoiler, none)? And which of the top teams goes in the tank (spoiler, none)? Both of those things have to happen for any swap to happen.
The only possibility I see is the Islanders overtaking Washington.

Caps are ahead by 19 points, but have played 8 more games. They are also only 3-5-2 in their last 10, while Isles are 7-2-1.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The only possibility I see is the Islanders overtaking Washington.

Caps are ahead by 19 points, but have played 8 more games. They are also only 3-5-2 in their last 10, while Isles are 7-2-1.

Islanders would be the only bottom team that I could envision going on a run... but not sure I see the Caps falling off that much I guess it depends on how many of the 'in-hand' games the Isles win.

But, if that is our only hope... it is a stretch!

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
is that a fact? ...our forwards may have been better but, their defense and goaltending was better, and thats why they won

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

at the same stage of their coaching careers Keefe is better than the lot! ...like players, it also takes a coach some time to learn how to 'win' when it counts

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
There’s a TONNE of season left, but … the top 8 in the east are damn, damn good, and I’m a lot less impressed by 9 on down. I’ll be surprised if anyone outside the current top 8 make it.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I agree most coaches are able to learn.. Keefe.... stacking lines two rounds in two consecutive seasons tells me Keefe is a slow learner...
right, so Boston stacking their top line for years was a bad idea, and Colorado, and Florida, and TB, and so on and so on.
its common practice to stack the lines, especially when desperate, the main problem was shot selection and lack of quality shots and decision making by the players. shoot when you have no shot, pass when you should shoot, and miss the net when everyone is deep, causing an odd man break the other way. ...thats also on the coaching staff, but, the guys on the ice need to execute better.
the Leafs often make goalies look better than they are because they either try to pick a corner and miss, or hit the goalies crest, or pass when they should shoot, or shoot when they should pass. ...its agonizing to watch, imagine how agonizing it must be to coach.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
EastNHL Playoff OddsJan 28th, 2002
Position TeamMake Playoffs
1Florida Panthers99.97%
2Tampa Bay Lightning99.92%
3Carolina Hurricanes99.90%
4Toronto Maple Leafs99.70%
5Pittsburgh Penguins99.60%
6New York Rangers97.70%
7Boston Bruins95.70%
8Washington Capitals88.30%
9New York Islanders14.30%
10Ottawa Senators2.20%
11Detroit Red Wings1.00%
12Columbus Blue Jackets1.00%
13New Jersey Devils0.50%
14Philadelphia Flyers0.10%
15Buffalo Sabres0.10%
16Montreal Canadiens0.00%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: wingman75

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I would agree with the premise stated in the title. The top 8 teams have separated themselves from the balance of the Eastern conference teams to a pretty significant extent. This was a subject discussed on NHL network a week or 2 ago as I recall.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
While it looks like everything is pretty much settled, all it takes is a coaching change and one hot goaltender to go on a run and things can change quickly. Just ask St. Louis. I believe they were in last place overall at the start of January in 2019. And we all know what happened after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad