Are the Calgary Flames losing the next generation of fans in Alberta to the Edmonton Oilers?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I've always found people in Edmonton are just bigger sports fans than people in Calgary generally, tbh. And I don't really mean that as an attack, is not better or worse just... Different.

Id almost say in Edmonton people are much more likely to view sports as an institution or way of life whereas people in Calgary are more likely to see it as something fun to do today.

Even in other leagues where Calgarian teams have seen similar or greater level of success, I feel like the average fan you meet in Calgary is just less of an obsessed super fan that's tracking the next prospects and the lower levels and that and more of just someone that likes to watch the games with their friends but they could ultimately go without.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I've always found people in Edmonton are just bigger sports fans than people in Calgary generally, tbh. And I don't really mean that as an attack, is not better or worse just... Different.

Id almost say in Edmonton people are much more likely to view sports as an institution or way of life whereas people in Calgary are more likely to see it as something fun to do today.

Even in other leagues where Calgarian teams have seen similar or greater level of success, I feel like the average fan you meet in Calgary is just less of an obsessed super fan that's tracking the next prospects and the lower levels and that and more of just someone that likes to watch the games with their friends but they could ultimately go without.
100% the fan base just isn’t as hardcore at least not in the scale that edmontons is. The oilers have always been bigger though. That isn’t a new phenomenon.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Calgary seems like it might be the somewhat more attractive place overall. It's a touch milder, a lot closer to the mountains, maybe the somewhat better economy. I feel like Calgary says Denver to me and Edmonton more like Omaha or Sioux Falls.

So maybe it's a bit like how in the U.S. cities like Buffalo have some of the best sports fans. Population is less transient and identifies more with the city, also with fewer amenities around people rally around things like pro sports more.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It probably has something to do with McDavid

Personal opinion but if you live in Calgary and let your kids become Oilers fans then you're doing it wrong. Vice versa as well.
I know lots of people who were born and raise in Calgary that are Oilers fans. People can cheer for whoever they like

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I know lots of people who were born and raise in Calgary that are Oilers fans. People can cheer for whoever they like
There's instances where there are Montreal fans in Toronto, for example, but in my experience a lot of the time it's because their parents were originally from Quebec or closer to the border and were Habs fans themselves. My message was more directed at kids these days who live in Calgary and who's parents are Flames fans but still choose to cheer for the Oilers. Just feels wrong to me and I'm sure in those scenarios it bothers the parents.

Reactions: TCIH

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers have always been the more popular team across the province. That isn't anything new. They had the 80s superteam and two generational players. The Flames haven't had the same level of success.

Once McDavid's career is over, I suspect the Oilers will be in the same boat as the Flames - struggling to retain their own players and attract UFAs who want to play in warmer or bigger markets.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My nephews live in Calgary and 5 years ago when I went to visit I gave them some Mcdavid jerseys. They're now Oiler fans for life.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Two of the most mismanaged franchises in recent decades. Just the Oilers (eventually) had more draft luck. Of course then they handed the car keys to Chiarelli and he drove it straight into a guardrail. There’s only so bad you can be though with prime McDrai. Flames ownership has insisted on being mediocre in order to try to sneak into the playoffs every year, which has been a crazy painful strategy to sit through.

I have a 12 year old that loves Tampa Bay. Kids basically just jump on whatever bandwagon looks like it’s more fun at the time. However now that he’s been to a few games at Amelie, he’s starting to show some more actual loyalty to the Bolts. Pretty sure most kids would prefer McD’s contender bandwagon to the “hoping and praying we get a steal drafting this year” strategy the Flames are going for.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
As an Oiler fan I really hope they get their act together. I much prefer having two strong teams here

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Outside of Calgary and the areas immediately surrounding Calgary Alberta is mostly Oil country, has been that way since the 80's. Its not really the current iterations of the teams that have done this but the Oilers dynasty has had lasting impacts.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Calgary seems like it might be the somewhat more attractive place overall. It's a touch milder, a lot closer to the mountains, maybe the somewhat better economy. I feel like Calgary says Denver to me and Edmonton more like Omaha or Sioux Falls.

So maybe it's a bit like how in the U.S. cities like Buffalo have some of the best sports fans. Population is less transient and identifies more with the city, also with fewer amenities around people rally around things like pro sports more.

You were making sense.....then you pulled this gem out of your ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Zenos

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i hate to say it but the answer for a team like calgary is to increase the number of teams in the playoffs. a play in series for the wildcard spots is the best answer. if calgary had just lost a close hard fought 3 or 5 game series to nashville or st louis there'd be more positivity and loyalty in that fanbase right now, and there'd also have been something to play for late in the season to prevent people changing mental channels long ago.

the league needs to sell more hope.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
No. Calgary and Edmonton are essentially the same size and are the 5th and 6th most populous cities in Canada respectively (by a large margin too, ca. 1.6 million each vs. 850k for no. 7 and 8 Quebec / Winnipeg). Both are major regional centres (by Canadian standards), prosperous, and growing.

Calgary is more white collar / corporate (energy and resources companies have their HQ there) while Edmonton is more blue collar (refining and field operations are based in suburban Edmonton)
Edmonton is the seat of the provincial government and has the (slightly) larger and more regarded university.
Calgary leans more conservative politically, Edmonton slighlty more to the centre-left

But make no mistake, they are remarkably similar cities in almost every regard. The rivalry (which is mostly for fun anyways) trumps up the differences, but you'd be hard pressed to find two other cities which are actually more alike.

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kids like star players, more news at 11.

I did think it was funny to find out that Iginla’s kid is an Oilers fan.

Reactions: snipes

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’ve been to all the Canadian cities with a team other than Winnipeg. Edmonton is the only one with 24/7 fan support. Could be the middle of August and it would feel like puck drop is an hour away.

Calgarians will still show up for their team and they did post two of the best years in franchise history in 2019 and 2022. But the sporting culture has fallen out of the collective consciousness of the city. A new arena and some second round playoff appearances could go a long way towards fixing some of that, but I don’t know if it’ll ever go back to what it used to be.

Reactions: viper0220

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
i hate to say it but the answer for a team like calgary is to increase the number of teams in the playoffs. a play in series for the wildcard spots is the best answer. if calgary had just lost a close hard fought 3 or 5 game series to nashville or st louis there'd be more positivity and loyalty in that fanbase right now, and there'd also have been something to play for late in the season to prevent people changing mental channels long ago.

the league needs to sell more hope.
Honestly a lot of the negativity in the fan base right now stems from players like Gaudreau and Tkachuk not wanting to play in Calgary. If top players don’t want to play in a particular city, you can’t expect a lot of fan excitement.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Edmonton and Calgary are virtually the same size lol. It's more like Dallas vs Houston or Columbus vs Cincinnati

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Oiler fans are a more common sight now because many were in hiding for a decade, and now pulling on too tight jerseys. Then there are the band wagoners.
Don't matter, they'll all go back into hiding again soon.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If we can't even hang on to an Iginla spawn's fandom we may very well be truly lost.
I blame Rogers for constantly shoving the McDynasty down everyone's throat.

Edmonton and Calgary are virtually the same size lol. It's more like Dallas vs Houston or Columbus vs Cincinnati

Not really. Calgary 1.33 million pop, Edmonton just under a million at 981K.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
No. Calgary and Edmonton are essentially the same size and are the 5th and 6th most populous cities in Canada respectively (by a large margin too, ca. 1.6 million each vs. 850k for no. 7 and 8 Quebec / Winnipeg). Both are major regional centres (by Canadian standards), prosperous, and growing.

Calgary is more white collar / corporate (energy and resources companies have their HQ there) while Edmonton is more blue collar (refining and field operations are based in suburban Edmonton)
Edmonton is the seat of the provincial government and has the (slightly) larger and more regarded university.
Calgary leans more conservative politically, Edmonton slighlty more to the centre-left

But make no mistake, they are remarkably similar cities in almost every regard. The rivalry (which is mostly for fun anyways) trumps up the differences, but you'd be hard pressed to find two other cities which are actually more alike.

I have lived in both and enjoyed both.... Except when it came to hockey lol

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If we can't even hang on to an Iginla spawn's fandom we may very well be truly lost.
I blame Rogers for constantly shoving the McDynasty down everyone's throat.

Not really. Calgary 1.33 million pop, Edmonton just under a million at 981K.
1715118893937.png

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Don't compare our metropolitan cities to those tiny TOWNS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad