Are point shares a good indicator of a players value?

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
Is point shares a good statistic evaluating a players value? I mean Wayne Gretzky is the all time leader in this statistic as well. Here are the top players in point shares this year so far. Interestingly many are goaltenders and the obvious Hart Trophy and Norris candidates.

1. Cale Makar
  2. Auston Matthews
  3. Juuse Saros
  4. Roman Josi
  5. Johnny Gaudreau
  6. Connor McDavid
  7. Leon Draisaitl
  8. Igor Shesterkin
  9. Connor Hellebuyck
  10. Jacob Markstrom

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here's a thread where it's discussed on the History forum: Point Shares? (Warning: Thread for stat dorks:))

Long story short, it's a poorly designed statistic. I place very little value in it.

I appreciate all of the data the people at hockey-reference.com provide, but they don't seem to have a great understanding of how hockey work (which I think is obvious once you read through the comments in the link). And, unfortunately, based on my attempts to provide constructive feedback, they don't seem to have any interest in changing the method.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Here's a thread where it's discussed on the History forum: Point Shares? (Warning: Thread for stat dorks:))

Long story short, it's a poorly designed statistic. I place very little value in it.

I appreciate all of the data the people at hockey-reference.com provide, but they don't seem to have a great understanding of how hockey work (which I think is obvious once you read through the comments in the link). And, unfortunately, based on my attempts to provide constructive feedback, they don't seem to have any interest in changing the method.
Any thoughts on Neil Paine's (of fivethirtyeight) Modified Point Shares?

decma

Feb 6, 2013
I'm not familiar with it, but I'll take a look (let me know if you have a link handy, if not I'm sure I can find it).
Here is a link to an article that references it.

And here is the brief explanation of modified point shares in a FN in that article, along with a link to Paine's data page:

[Modified Point Shares is] My spin on Hockey-Reference.com’s Point Shares stat, which better balances value between positions by ensuring that forwards get 60 percent of leaguewide value, while defensemen get 30 percent and goalies get 10 percent. (You can find historical MPS data here.)

The link to the historical MPS data opens as unformatted gibberish for me, but it may just be me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad