News Article: Are NHL players using PEDs? Jonathan Toews says naive to say no

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...ng-peds-jonathan-toews-says-naive-to-think-no

Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said in an interview Wednesday that it's 'naive' to think that no one in the NHL is using something even though only one player has been caught in the NHL's drug testing policy.

"I think it would be naive to say that there's no one in the NHL that is trying to get the edge in that fashion," the Chicago Blackhawks centre said on Sportsnet The Fan 590 Wednesday. "But at the end of the day, whether you get caught now or not, down the road at some point those sort of things come out as we've seen in Major League Baseball and cycling.

"Eventually ... someone is going to save their own butt and throw you under the bus. And that's your legacy. That's what people remember: that you're a cheater and you took performance-enhancing drugs.

"I think guys that apologize and plead that they didn't know what they were doing, I think they know exactly what they're doing. So the more tests the better. It protects the guys that are being fair and are putting good things into their body. So I have no problem with [more testing]."

I'm sure he right...although it can't be as prevalent as in other sports. TBH, I think that abuse of painkillers, sleeping pills, and that sort of stuff is a far bigger problem in the NHL...but that doesn't mean PEDs aren't an issue.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm not a fan of the comments. Everybody likes or respects Toews (for the most part) and everybody (for the most part again) agrees with his comments, but I don't think it was a good idea for him to say too much like he did. That was a very friendly, fluffy, interview and his mouth is going to get him in trouble once a serious host takes him to task on what he talks about. I would prefer he kept the answer clean and simple without taking on too much.

The players just signed a CBA 8 months ago and the league has a toothless policy for PEDs. Laraque claims that steroid usage was out of hand and JR said there was no use whatsoever last year. We had the mess in Washington leaving lots of questions unanswered. Gary and the league are pretty good at staying in front of some of these issues but this puts them in a bad spot.

I don't think Toews knows what the heck he was talking about. No reason to put the PA or the league in an awkward spot now. I would have preferred he just said something like "cheaters need to be held accountable" or something like that. The host gave him plenty of room to avoid a corner. He volunteered way too much. Too bad he didn't volunteer this stuff (he volunteered much more than was asked) in public before the CBA was signed.

Since he enjoys volunteering strong opinions on sensitive topics, I hope he's kicking the PA in the rear end to get more of those tests he sounds so enthusiastic about...but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
i kinda wish tsn had asked him whether he thought there were any players on the hawks using PEDs

I was almost shocked the host got all of that out of him and didn't follow up with anything else. Instead he just jumped to happy, fluffy talk about charity work. Joke of a host, Toews really put himself in a spot where he wasn't going to have any good answers. To Toews' credit, he got away pretty clean.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
I'm not a fan of the comments. Everybody likes or respects Toews (for the most part) and everybody (for the most part again) agrees with his comments, but I don't think it was a good idea for him to say too much like he did. That was a very friendly, fluffy, interview and his mouth is going to get him in trouble once a serious host takes him to task on what he talks about. I would prefer he kept the answer clean and simple without taking on too much.

The players just signed a CBA 8 months ago and the league has a toothless policy for PEDs. Laraque claims that steroid usage was out of hand and JR said there was no use whatsoever last year. We had the mess in Washington leaving lots of questions unanswered. Gary and the league are pretty good at staying in front of some of these issues but this puts them in a bad spot.

I don't think Toews knows what the heck he was talking about. No reason to put the PA or the league in an awkward spot now. I would have preferred he just said something like "cheaters need to be held accountable" or something like that. The host gave him plenty of room to avoid a corner. He volunteered way too much. Too bad he didn't volunteer this stuff (he volunteered much more than was asked) in public before the CBA was signed.

Since he enjoys volunteering strong opinions on sensitive topics, I hope he's kicking the PA in the rear end to get more of those tests he sounds so enthusiastic about...but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that.

He knows exactly what he is saying. He won't go out there and say no one anywhere us using them because he knows he would get ripped apart as an idiot for that. He also won't go and say everyone is using it because that again is stupid to say and think.

He gave his view on it and I think it's a correct view to have. Say what everyone thinks and knows is likely the truth and leave it at that. He didn't put anyone in a bad space while not looking like a moron in the process.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

like i said upthread, the next question to toews should have been 'do you believe any of your own teammates are using PEDs"...and they should have sat in silence while he answered that one. imo it was weak they didn't toss that out to him... his views are interesting and important - but they should have been challenged.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He knows exactly what he is saying. He won't go out there and say no one anywhere us using them because he knows he would get ripped apart as an idiot for that. He also won't go and say everyone is using it because that again is stupid to say and think.

He gave his view on it and I think it's a correct view to have. Say what everyone thinks and knows is likely the truth and leave it at that. He didn't put anyone in a bad space while not looking like a moron in the process.

He didn't 'put anyone in a bad space' because no one pushed back at him.

If Toews thinks players are using PEDs, does that include the Hawks. I wouldn't be surprised. Who knows...he was never asked. It was a weak interview. They should have put that question to him. Just my opinion.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
I may not agree with him, but there's no doubt that society cares more about PEDs in MLB than it does about their use in other sports.

This is what is so stupid to me.

A-rod is linked in a article with Aaron Hernandez about athletes not being heros.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-08-02/news/hc-op-benedict-0804-20130802_1_aaron-hernandez-nfl-players-odin-lloyd

A guy who used PEDs being talked about in the same sentence as a suspected multiple murder? WTF!?!?

Meanwhile Von Miller and half the Seahawks are suspend for PED use and not one person talks about it.

If it's cheating it's cheating, why are MLB players considered the worst humans ever for cheating but NFL, NBA, etc players just guys trying to get an edge when they cheat. It's either one or the other, not both.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
He didn't 'put anyone in a bad space' because no one pushed back at him.

If Toews thinks players are using PEDs, does that include the Hawks. I wouldn't be surprised. Who knows...he was never asked. It was a weak interview. They should have put that question to him. Just my opinion.

And if anyone pushed back he says I don't know if anyone is using but I can't say no one because look at the world we live in.

If anyone pushes more then that it's because their an idiot who is just trying to get a sound bite they can take way out of context and make it seem like Toews just said every player in the league but the Blackhawks are cheaters.

How is Toews supposed to know or anyone of us, he is just saying what I think most of us think and feel. We don't know for sure if any NHL player is using PEDs to but think not a one is is beyond naive especially in todays world.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
So others should risk their lives for your entertainment? Ok, champ.

Well, a lot of fans do have a blood sport mindset regarding football and hockey. How many ex-players just get tossed aside with injuries into retirement without a peep from fanbases, other than the occasional laugh if it's from a player they didn't particularly like?

I won't say most, but I can without a doubt say that a very large segment of the sports fan population doesn't give two licks about the well-being of players, aside from maybe their favorite star players. Just do your job for a few years, win my team a championship, and don't let the door hit you on your way out when your very short career ends and a new wave of prospective youngsters readily replace you. That's an extremely common theme.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
And if anyone pushed back he says I don't know if anyone is using but I can't say no one because look at the world we live in.

If anyone pushes more then that it's because their an idiot who is just trying to get a sound bite they can take way out of context and make it seem like Toews just said every player in the league but the Blackhawks are cheaters.

How is Toews supposed to know or anyone of us, he is just saying what I think most of us think and feel. We don't know for sure if any NHL player is using PEDs to but think not a one is is beyond naive especially in todays world.

I know he wouldn't start naming teammates...I just think they should have put him on the spot that's all.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Anyone remember when Tony Twist went from being a 185 lbs punching bag to a 240 lbs destroyer one off season? I'm sure that was legit.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
This is what is so stupid to me.

A-rod is linked in a article with Aaron Hernandez about athletes not being heros.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-08-02/news/hc-op-benedict-0804-20130802_1_aaron-hernandez-nfl-players-odin-lloyd

A guy who used PEDs being talked about in the same sentence as a suspected multiple murder? WTF!?!?

Meanwhile Von Miller and half the Seahawks are suspend for PED use and not one person talks about it.

If it's cheating it's cheating, why are MLB players considered the worst humans ever for cheating but NFL, NBA, etc players just guys trying to get an edge when they cheat. It's either one or the other, not both.

Because baseball is a stat sport.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
Because baseball is a stat sport.

Who cares, what people are stupid enough to think that there aren't guys already in the HOF who where roid users? That some of the most famous records aren't up there due to drug aided performances. People make it out to be way too big a deal that it is or needs to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad