Are European Roof Stadiums Here to Stay in America?

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I'm posting here because I'm covering 2 sports; soccer and football. With Red Bull Arena and McLane Stadium having full roves on them, it seems that stadiums with European-style roofs is starting a trend in American stadium architecture. Will this become a trend in American stadiums in the near future?

My opinion: NO! America has always bucked the trends. This has to be a passing fad and I hope I'm right. Let's hope FIFA doesn't mandate that roofs become mandatory for hosting the World Cup or we are :censored:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
If a roof is required for a World Cup, why not just play in an NFL stadium with either a permanent roof or a retractable roof?

Did the stadium in Brazil have a roof?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
God forbid fans stay dry when it's raining.

If a roof is required for a World Cup, why not just play in an NFL stadium with either a permanent roof or a retractable roof?

No, they're not required. Some stadiums have roofs covering the stands, leaving the field in the open, some don't.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
God forbid fans stay dry when it's raining.

No, they're not required. Some stadiums have roofs covering the stands, leaving the field in the open, some don't.

All things considered, that's probably how it should be. Cover the fans, but it can rain on the field.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

ee2464e0ff.jpg

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
I'm posting here because I'm covering 2 sports; soccer and football. With Red Bull Arena and McLane Stadium having full roves on them, it seems that stadiums with European-style roofs is starting a trend in American stadium architecture. Will this become a trend in American stadiums in the near future?

My opinion: NO! America has always bucked the trends. This has to be a passing fad and I hope I'm right. Let's hope FIFA doesn't mandate that roofs become mandatory for hosting the World Cup or we are :censored:

You do realise most football stadiums in Europe don't have a retractable roof?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Why don't European stadiums have a full roof? Serious question, seems like it would be a good way to avoid some of the harsher conditions some European clubs will face

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Why don't European stadiums have a full roof? Serious question, seems like it would be a good way to avoid some of the harsher conditions some European clubs will face

Because of cost, I suppose.

There are some, though, like the Wembley in London, Veltins Arena in Germany, the Friends Arena in Sweden, Lille's new stadium etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:European_retractable-roof_stadiums

I do find it kinda strange they managed to spend 1.6 billion dollars on building the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, yet there doesn't seem to be any sort of a roof...

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Assuming you mean an actual full covered roof and not just a covering over the stands, many stadiums in Europe are essentially evolutions of older stadiums on the same space, so the foundation of it isn't built to have a full roof covering it. Another issue is probably the increased use that stadiums with grass pitches in them would see compared to comparably sized American ones. It would be much harder to properly maintain the grass without constant/regular sunlight and rain water, and a retractable roof in such cases would probably be too costly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad