GDT: April 5: the Objectively Super-Fun Kraken (31-31-13) at the Objectively Unlikeable Ducks (25-47-4), 7pm PDT

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Gudas rocks Tanev and everyone goes crazy,shite it was a good hit

A penalty for Hitting legally? Well the Kraken go on the PP again

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
JT Brown is a fine analyst and I like what he brings to the broadcasts - most notably, when Forslund and Olczyk have the sillies, he's usually the one who reels them in - but I hate the phrase "he beat [the goalie] but didn't beat the pipe."

If your shot hits the pipe, you didn't beat the goalie.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
That's Kraken hockey babies

Is that a Buffett on the left as the Kraken headed to their dressing room? Would they eat right after the game?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Nice to see Shaner get 2 goals and an Assist...the setup from Schwartz was sweet and the tip from Bjorkstrand shot was great work too

Getting the most out of Wright is worth more than moving up a spot in the draft.
As of right now they are sitting 9th which still will get them a decent to good maybe great player

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Getting the most out of Wright is worth more than moving up a spot in the draft.
Especially if confidence was an issue which it might well have been. This has to be a big boost for him and can't help but make him feel more comfortable in the NHL than he did last year.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
When Shaner was in Seattle last year he didn't have his skating legs and was thinking too much...now it seems he's reacting and making plays instinctively and his legs are working just fine...the time spent in Coachella was great for playing time,development and he took it seriously and was ready for the challenge, good on GMFrancis and Wright

Especially if confidence was an issue which it might well have been. This has to be a big boost for him and can't help but make him feel more comfortable in the NHL than he did last year.
I concur

Good night Kraken Nation see you all the next game

Reactions: brewski420

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Watched the game today since I didn't have a gig until 10 and didn't care to watch Oilers-Aves.

Wright looks like a baller. If you guys are lucky to hit with Matty and Shane down the middle. Watch out

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Nice to see Shane getting his and looking solid even if it's against an awfuld Ducks team.

As bummed as I am that we are winning these meaningless games, I am thrilled that Shane is starting to find his groove.

Nice to see.
Hopefully he goes on a nice playoff run with the Firebirds and comes into camp ready to take his spot.

Let's hope so.

As of right now they are sitting 9th which still will get them a decent to good maybe great player

The Kraken are currently 10th from bottom as New Jersey keeps on losing and are only two points worse than Buffalo(who have played one more game) and four points worse than Pittsburgh and Minnesota.

I like seeing Shane having a good game and some positive vibes with a win but I don't want to draft 13th OVR after a season like that.

That's something mid teams, who never go anywhere are really good at....

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
1712408405344.png

1712408440923.png

A couple thoughts...

1) Credit where it's due, Hak has given Schwartz/Wright/Eberle a ton of run in this 3-game stint. I couldnt help but wonder if Wright was showing up on the scoresheet but lacking in the other aspects of the game, then saw this quote from Hak after last night's game: "“He was a confident player tonight. I thought he was a confident player with the puck and he definitely did a good job on the defensive side as well." That's really good to hear.

2) It's a good stretch of games for Wright to get comfortable, playing against some objectively bad teams where both have been eliminated and there arent a lot of stakes. That said, if he hasnt been sent back to CV for their playoff run (and I'm not sure when the AHL playoffs even start) I'll be very interested to see how he looks against the better teams at the tail end of Seattle's schedule.

3) Good for Fleury for finally getting a look, and it looks like he did all right too! Happy for the guy!

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@Fuhrious

Talking about Wright.
If he plays more than two games(after this one) the Kraken would burn his first year of his ELC.

The Kraken also have their final two game homestand next week, before finishing the season nn a four game road swing.

My guess is that he gets those two games in Seattle before he's being send down to CV for the remainder of the season.

BTW: While playing against the Ducks Wright will now not be Calder eligible anymore for next season.

Reactions: Fuhrious

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@Fuhrious

Talking about Wright.
If he plays more than two games(after this one) the Kraken would burn his first year of his ELC.

The Kraken also have their final two game homestand next week, before finishing the season nn a four game road swing.

My guess is that he gets those two games in Seattle before he's being send down to CV for the remainder of the season.

BTW: While playing against the Ducks Wright will now not be Calder eligible anymore for next season.

I think we might be indifferent about whether his next contract starts sooner. It's not like he's losing an RFA year (the 40 game threshold).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's something mid teams, who never go anywhere are really good at....

I'm hoping for the best pick possible too, but I feel like this "mid teams" thing gets exaggerated.

I remember a decade ago when Boston and St. Louis were supposedly teams stuck in the middle. Then they got better anyways, using elite players they drafted in the middle or later.

Minnesota is the quintessential example of a mid team, but they also have one of the top ten talents in the game. I'd say Kaprizov is better actually than any of the 1st OA picks in the last seven drafts. They're not a great team because their depth has gotten worse.

Calgary was that mid team too, then they won the Presidents Trophy and now they're awful. It's not that predictable is it?

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm hoping for the best pick possible too, but I feel like this "mid teams" thing gets exaggerated.

I remember a decade ago when Boston and St. Louis were supposedly teams stuck in the middle. Then they got better anyways, using elite players they drafted in the middle or later.

Minnesota is the quintessential example of a mid team, but they also have one of the top ten talents in the game. I'd say Kaprizov is better actually than any of the 1st OA picks in the last seven drafts. They're not a great team because their depth has gotten worse.

Calgary was that mid team too, then they won the Presidents Trophy and now they're awful. It's not that predictable is it?

Nothing you say here is wrong at all. Maybe our gut reaction is unwarranted.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think we might be indifferent about whether his next contract starts sooner. It's not like he's losing an RFA year (the 40 game threshold).

I honestly don't care which way they go with Wright on this.
Burning off a year on his ELC could also mean his next contract potentially being lower.

The Blues are the absolute exception to the rule during the salary cap era and the Bruins already had lucked into Bergeron and Marchand while drafting Pastrnak in the late first round.

The Blues are not a good example cause, like I've said, they're the exception to the rule and following their model is hoping to also be that one exception every 15 years to win it without drafting very high.

The Bruins were able to draft their two main guys during a time when scouting was nowhere near were it is today and when you still could find guys in the 7th round(or undrafted) that wouldn't be available there this time around.

The Wild and Flames(especially during the last 10 - 15 years) are the definition of being mid.

The Flames had one great regular season(where everything went their way in terms of injuries and production) and then got bounced in the playoffs again. They've made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs once(if I remember correctly) during the last decade.

The Wild didn't just get mid by losing their depth, they've been that for most of their existence.

I know there's no guarantee of success with drafting very high multiple times but that's mostly because you have teams like the Yotes, Sabres or Sens who's ownership doesn't allow them to be successful thanks to the way they handle those franchises.

Though, the Pens, Blackhawks, Kings, Lightning and Avs are the examples of how to have success during the salary cap era and all of them drafted very high muiltiple times and build their teams that way.

Anyways, I agree that drafting 9th or 11th won't be a huge dealbreaker this year.
The most important thing will be decisions made by Francis and the FO on how to handle the current roster and who they keep and/or trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad