Recalled/Assigned: Apr-7: Sabres Recall Evan Rodrigues and Cole Schneider

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Good for them.
I'd love to see Eichel and Rodriguez 're-united and see what they can do at the NHL level.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Poor Justin Bailey :laugh:

Given who they called up, I think it's pretty clear that they want to evaluate Rodrigues and Schneider against NHL competition. If anything, I think it indicates how pleased they were with Bailey and that they want to see what the other guys bring. I'm sure Bailey would've liked another NHL game or two, and the pay that goes with it, but he should understand what's going on here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why - did they send him down?

He was only up on emergency recall -- the only way he would have played in NJ was if Gionta (sick) or ROR (handUBI) didn't go.

Given who they called up, I think it's pretty clear that they want to evaluate Rodrigues and Schneider against NHL competition. If anything, I think it indicates how pleased they were with Bailey and that they want to see what the other guys bring. I'm sure Bailey would've liked another NHL game or two, and the pay that goes with it, but he should understand what's going on here.

Agreed. And there is always the possibility he gets a look in the finale in Brooklyn too. But they do need to see what they have in these guys. Schneider is about to be a Group VI UFA, I'm sure they want to see what he looks like and it's a nice gesture to get another local kid into the big league lineup, even just for a night.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He was only up on emergency recall -- the only way he would have played in NJ was if Gionta (sick) or ROR (handUBI) didn't go.

Agreed. And there is always the possibility he gets a look in the finale in Brooklyn too. But they do need to see what they have in these guys. Schneider is about to be a Group VI UFA, I'm sure they want to see what he looks like and it's a nice gesture to get another local kid into the big league lineup, even just for a night.

Yep, which would shed some light on the team's refusal to convert Bailey's recall to a non-emergency recall. Had they done so, Bailey would've been their second of four post-deadline recalls. Murray may have known he was going to give Rodrigues and Schneider a look in the CBJ game - those would've been his final two post-deadline recalls if Bailey was a "regular" recall, and they would've probably sent down Bailey to make room for those two guys (let's be honest, COR isn't going anywhere)- and Murray may have wanted to save his fourth recall for Bailey to play in the NYI game.

Or he may just keep Rodrigues and Schneider for both games, in which case I don't know they didn't just convert Bailey's recall to a standard recall, play him in the NJ game, and then send him down afterwards. :laugh:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Does an E-Rod recall get Deslauriers off Eichel's wing or do we think these two will just get fourth-line auditions? Schneider's recall was a given ever since he was acquired with that condition (3 NHL GP) that was never going to be met.

E-Rod #71 and Schneider #10 .. no lines tweeted out yet from practice.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Does an E-Rod recall get Deslauriers off Eichel's wing or do we think these two will just get fourth-line auditions? Schneider's recall was a given ever since he was acquired with that condition (3 NHL GP) that was never going to be met.

E-Rod #71 and Schneider #10 .. no lines tweeted out yet from practice.

Didn't Rodrigues play the off-wing (LW) on Eichel's line at BU? If so, I could see him replacing Deslauriers up there. Based on Kevin O's tweets, though, Rodrigues has seemed to play primarily at RW down in Rochester, and I doubt he'd displace either Fasching or Reinhart in the top-6 (assuming Dan's not going to touch the FLG line), which relegates E-Rod to the 4th line if they want him on RW.

I imagine Schneider will flank Legwand, as I think Cole would be a 4th line type NHL'er if he makes it.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Schneider is a Williamsville kid. he's at the end of his ELC. It's like his one shot to play at home with the big club he grew up watching. Going forward it's likely he'll either sign somewhere else at a 2-way deal, AHL, or head to Europe. He's already 25 and yet to crack the NHL level.

It's a nice gesture by the club to give him a game against Columbus at home.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Didn't Rodrigues play the off-wing (LW) on Eichel's line at BU? If so, I could see him replacing Deslauriers up there. Based on Kevin O's tweets, though, Rodrigues has seemed to play primarily at RW down in Rochester, and I doubt he'd displace either Fasching or Reinhart in the top-6 (assuming Dan's not going to touch the FLG line), which relegates E-Rod to the 4th line if they want him on RW.

I imagine Schneider will flank Legwand, as I think Cole would be a 4th line type NHL'er if he makes it.
Yeah, the BU line was E-Rod-Eichel-O'Regan with E-Rod on his off-wing. It's not like he doesn't have the sense or compete not to play there either, just idk that three rookies is wise either. I'd rather see that then Deslauriers, Moulson, or COR at LW2 though. Hopefully it gets sprinkled in here and there.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
This sounds like a good tryout and a nice gesture for a local kid. I wouldn't read too much into it or over-analyze line combinations with two games left.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness

It will be nice to see what these guys can do. Surprised they didn't want to try out babtiste.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
No urgency with Rodriguez I guess. He's signed for 3 years. Why not throw him on the 4th line and see if he can be effective there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The team has done a lot in terms of "nice gestures" toward a lot of players in the last few years. This is another and all of that helps improve how the team is viewed by the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad