Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
i really hate to say this, b/c i am a war movie fan, WW1 and the Vietnam wars, there weren't any great movies.

Vietnam maybe Saints and Soldier with, if i am thinking is the movie i was thinking about is a Meg Gibson movie. but it was the action in the movie not the love story of it.

Vietnam, I disagree. Platoon. Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now. I even thought We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson was good.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Vietnam, I disagree. Platoon. Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now. I even thought We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson was good.
you see, i will respect yours and many posters opinions on these points.

but i didn't like those movies and yeah that affected my opinions. btw, many thanks for correcting my mistake on the Mel Gibson movie.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Man, how many times to I have to read a story about bullying? This should be a non issue if kids were brought up right. Infuriating.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How R Lee Ermey didn't win an academy award for playing the drill Sargent I will never know. What's cool is that he was actually just supposed to be an adviser for the film, as he had been an actual drill Sargent. But Kubrick saw how great he was as it, he put him in the movie and let him write his own lines. All of which are amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
How R Lee Ermey didn't win an academy award for playing the drill Sargent I will never know. What's cool is that he was actually just supposed to be an adviser for the film, as he had been an actual drill Sargent. But Kubrick saw how great he was as it, he put him in the movie and let him write his own lines. All of which are amazing.
yeah i remember that tidbit, it all came down to being convincing in the drill sgt rant. he was great in that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Band of Brothers was the best WW2 anything.
dang, you brought up something i totally forget.... i went out and brought the whole series. it was sooo kool. they whole group had a chat forum and the actual major, well his son came onto that site and talked about his, lack of better words, miscues .... that whole group came together for him and was really classy when talking to that family member.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The first half of Full Metal Jacket is a masterpiece. When they actually go to Vietnam, its good, not great.
total agreement. it was the 2nd half that made me dislike it..... even today, i will watch the 1st half.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
BOB was amazing

The Pacific was disappointing. I just couldn't get into it and some of the episodes really dragged out

Also you didn't really care about the characters in it

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
BOB was amazing

The Pacific was disappointing. I just couldn't get into it and some of the episodes really dragged out

Surprisingly, I still haven't seen The Pacific yet but your take is a really common one. Many seemed underwhelmed by it. BOB set the bar really high, too. The character development in that was so good. I know Spielberg and Hanks are currently (I believe) producing another WWII mini-series called "The Mighty Eight" about the 8th Air Force.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
BOB was amazing

ref the pacific, i really agree with it, even though they really did it history on the native american in the opening esp. there were other story lines that they could have gone with.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Surprisingly, I still haven't seen The Pacific yet but your take is a really common one. Many seemed underwhelmed by it. BOB set the bar really high, too. The character development in that was so good. I know Spielberg and Hanks are currently (I believe) producing another WWII mini-series called "The Mighty Eight" about the 8th Air Force.
8th air force. the bombing of Germany and what 25 flights each plane needs to make ?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I watched The Pacific as the episodes came out and really, really enjoyed it. Then after that watched BOB and was blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad