OT: Anything Goes 26: RIP Gene Wilder

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As terrible as Jack and MD sounds, I'm sure it can't be any worse then tequila.

I don't mean to sound condescending my 21-year old moderator supreme, but just wait until you get a little bit older. I hated all alcohol at first but after a while you sometimes learn to like and even love it.

I just learned this a little over a year ago but tequila is actually a delicious and well made liquor. You can sip it and enjoy it the same way you would a scotch or a bourbon.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't mean to sound condescending my 21-year old moderator supreme, but just wait until you get a little bit older. I hated all alcohol at first but after a while you sometimes learn to like and even love it.

I just learned this a little over a year ago but tequila is actually a delicious and well made liquor. You can sip it and enjoy it the same way you would a scotch or a bourbon.

Agreed. Good tequila is sipping booze just like whiskey

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well I apologize for my white trash comment. I should've known better

Lol. Just cus I occasionally mix some jack with mountain dew doesn't mean I don't drink good booze or know my ****. Go find some of my scotch posts :yo:

Scotch is my drink of choice 99% of the time, actually.

What's your favorite tequila? There's actually some good sippers out there at decent price points. Cimarron Blanco is pretty good and fairly cheap actually. They make a reposado that is pretty good too.

I had one not too long ago called Olmeca Altos, but I've had some trouble finding it locally. A friend had a bottle of it and I really liked it.

And no worries. I didn't take the white trash comment seriously anyways. :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lol. Just cus I occasionally mix some jack with mountain dew doesn't mean I don't drink good booze or know my ****. Go find some of my scotch posts :yo:

Scotch is my drink of choice 99% of the time, actually.

What's your favorite tequila? There's actually some good sippers out there at decent price points. Cimarron Blanco is pretty good and fairly cheap actually. They make a reposado that is pretty good too.

I had one not too long ago called Olmeca Altos, but I've had some trouble finding it locally. A friend had a bottle of it and I really liked it.

And no worries. I didn't take the white trash comment seriously anyways. :laugh:

I haven't seen your scotch posts actually. My buddy just got me a bottle of Oban 14 year for my birthday a couple days ago. It's glorious

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I haven't seen your scotch posts actually. My buddy just got me a bottle of Oban 14 year for my birthday a couple days ago. It's glorious

They're littered throughout this OT thread whenever we get to discussing booze. :laugh:

Nice. Oban 14 is a good bottle. My daily sippers are Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Always have a bottle of both at the house. The Macallan 18 is my favorite, but not exactly the price point to keep a bottle in the house all the time.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Hi all,

Non-booze related question for y'all. Does anyone know anything about the Naperville area and North Central College? I'm in the closing stages of my PhD work, and North Central has posted a job opening in their English department that fits my background/specializations (Renaissance and Medieval literature). I've lived in the NY/PA/MD corridor my entire life (never been to Chicago before), so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can to get an idea as to whether or not the area and school would be a good fit for my background/interests. Anyone have any insider knowledge (the kind of stuff that doesn't really show up on a website)? Any info about the area, the school, or the English department would be greatly appreciated.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hi all,

Non-booze related question for y'all. Does anyone know anything about the Naperville area and North Central College? I'm in the closing stages of my PhD work, and North Central has posted a job opening in their English department that fits my background/specializations (Renaissance and Medieval literature). I've lived in the NY/PA/MD corridor my entire life (never been to Chicago before), so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can to get an idea as to whether or not the area and school would be a good fit for my background/interests. Anyone have any insider knowledge (the kind of stuff that doesn't really show up on a website)? Any info about the area, the school, or the English department would be greatly appreciated.

Well... Naperville is a nice city. There's lots of wealthy people living in and around there. There's lots of attractive girls. There's a good night life and party life. Lots of bars. Downtown is cool with all kinds of pubs, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Very attractive place to live, but likely very pricey. No idea about the school or the English dept. at North Central College, though. Sorry.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hi all,

I just moved to Naperville a month and a half ago. My wife is from there and we got married there as well. I don't know anything about the school specifically but Naperville is a really nice place to live, safe area. It's got great schools (elementary and high school) if you have kids. A lot of parks and everyone loves their downtown area (very nice riverwalk). It's routinely on the lists of the best places to live if that means anything. It's a good hour or more from downtown Chicago, which is the only real drawback in my opinion. Well that and home prices and property taxes can be high. It's a really big suburb (like 150k) and there are a lot of things to do. It's not Chicago or anything but there are a lot of restaurants and bars as well as festivals (last fling was this weekend).

Basically, if you are looking to be able to go to downtown Chicago a lot or used to the big city night life Naperville probably isn't the place for you. But if your ready to accept that you are moving to the burbs and look at it through that prism it's one of the nicer places you can go.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I just moved to Naperville a month and a half ago. My wife is from there and we got married there as well. I don't know anything about the school specifically but Naperville is a really nice place to live, safe area. It's got great schools (elementary and high school) if you have kids. A lot of parks and everyone loves their downtown area. It's routinely on the lists of the best places to live if that means anything. It's a good hour or more from downtown (very nice riverwalk), which is the only real drawback in my opinion. Well that and home prices and property taxes can be high. It's a really big suburb (like 150k) and there are a lot of things to do. It's not Chicago or anything but there are a lot of restaurants and bars as well as festivals (last fling was this weekend).

Basically, if you are looking to be able to go to downtown Chicago a lot or used to the big city night life Naperville probably isn't the place for you. But if your ready to accept that you are moving to the burbs and look at it through that prism it's one of the nicer places you can go.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

There's definitely a damn good night-life in Naperville. No need to go to downtown Chicago and pay the prices down there when Naperville is just as nice, and just as much fun, IMO, but half the price of a trip downtown.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's definitely a damn good night-life in Naperville. No need to go to downtown Chicago and pay the prices down there when Naperville is just as nice, and just as much fun, IMO, but half the price of a trip downtown.

Yeah, you probably are right. It's not as trendy or whatever but there are a lot of places to go out and have a good time. You are definitely right about the price of drinks.

To be honest, I have only gone out once or twice since we've moved since the wife is expecting.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yea, the suburbs are so fun, guys.

:laugh:

Naperville has a good night life. Quite a few other suburbs that have good little strips of bars in the suburbs, as well. Just gotta know where they're at. Downtown Tinley. The Mt. Greenwood/Beverly strip of Western Ave. Downtown Naperville, Downtown Downer's Grove.. Lots of places that are enjoyable if you're not looking for a massive rave or dance club. If all you wanna do is hit a few bars and eat some good pub food and have a fun time with some friends, any of the places mentioned above are more than adequate, and half the price of a night downtown...

I'd rather pay $6 for a craft beer than $10-15 any day of the week. If someone wants to pay the $20 covers and spend $100 on half a dozen beers... feel free. It's not for me. Downtown night-life never was for me. I've only gone down there a handful of times in my early 20's, and couldn't stand it. I'm more low key. Not to mention the $30-40 dollar Uber or Cab ride home. When I can spend $10-$15 on an Uber, at the most, to get home from basically any of those places I mentioned. I mean... I've been to a couple bachelor parties where we've bar-hopped downtown Naperville, and had a blast.

Also... too easy to get into trouble downtown. Lots of meatheads and moron drunks constantly looking to pick fights. I'm pretty sure my group of friends got in a fight every time I went downtown with them except for once. Most the time it was for no reason, mistaken identity, stupid **** like stepping on someone's shoe accidentally, etc. I had a buddy who passed away a few years back(RIP bro) who a few years prior to that had lost an eye when he had a bottle broken over his face. Most messed up part about it? The guy who hit him with it was hammered, and thought he was someone else who we didn't even know. So yeah... I'll stay away from all that. :laugh:

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
:laugh:

Naperville has a good night life. Quite a few other suburbs that have good little strips of bars in the suburbs, as well. Just gotta know where they're at. Downtown Tinley. The Mt. Greenwood/Beverly strip of Western Ave. Downtown Naperville, Downtown Downer's Grove.. Lots of places that are enjoyable if you're not looking for a massive rave or dance club. If all you wanna do is hit a few bars and eat some good pub food and have a fun time with some friends, any of the places mentioned above are more than adequate, and half the price of a night downtown...

I'd rather pay $6 for a craft beer than $10-15 any day of the week. If you wanna pay your $20 covers and spend $100 on half a dozen beers... feel free. It's not for me. Downtown night-life never was for me. I've only gone down there a handful of times in my early 20's, and couldn't stand it. I'm more low key. Not to mention the $30-40 dollar Uber or Cab ride home. When I can spend $10-$15 on an Uber, at the most, to get home from basically any of those places I mentioned. I mean... I've been to a couple bachelor parties where we've bar-hopped downtown Naperville, and had a blast.

We are wired the same way. I'd rather go to a bar where I can watch a game and here each other talk than a club or really crowded bar were you have to stand the whole time and yell at the person next to you so they can hear you. But I'm married and not on the prowl so I understand that everyone has different "goals" for a night out, lol.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We are wired the same way. I'd rather go to a bar where I can watch a game and here each other talk than a club or really crowded bar were you have to stand the whole time and yell at the person next to you so they can hear you. But I'm married and not on the prowl so I understand that everyone has different "goals" for a night out, lol.

Agreed on all points. And yeah, I'm not married, but planning on being engaged soon. Been with my g/f for almost 5 years. Was married at one point, though. Have two daughters. Am in my early 30's. So yeah, my prowling days are over, :laugh:

And you're right. Everyone does have different goals for a night out, haha. I'm low key. Like to be able to have a conversation with friends. Maybe catch a cool little local live band. Have some drinks. Watch a game, or whatever, and most importantly, like you said, have a table and some seats instead of standing the entire time. At least without having bottle service and spending $300-400 apiece so you can have a table and a handful of chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad