Anything Goes 23: Fight Fire with Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I get a decent amount of financial aid, and my tuition is already paid for. All I have to cover is misc. fees and the cost of rent... the latter of which my mom pays for. :laugh: Although I have to pay AC and wifi, and my AC bill is ridiculous.

Student loans are absolutely terrible. Let's kick people while they're down!

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Ill probably end up somewhere in the lower 30 range once it's all said and done, I think. Not terrible considering my schools tuition starts at about 49,000 per year.

Augustana is 49k a year these days? jeebus.

I have a ridiculous amount of postgrad debt but didnt realize undergrad had got that bad.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, apparently the aurora borealis is supposed to be viewable in Illinois tonight? Just read about this a few moments ago online.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
For profit education is insane. I've got a two year degree from a CC and I paid for every semester up front in cash while making just above minimum wage.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, and that's before paying the crazy amounts on books and what not. It's ridiculous these days, lemme tell ya. Not sure if my money goes to anything important, but it goes somewhere!

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
For profit education is insane. I've got a two year degree from a CC and I paid for every semester up front in cash while making just above minimum wage.

That's what I did for my first 2 years, then I went to NIU. I think it's foolish to go to a 4-year school for the first 2 years, unless you get a good deal where it cost about the same as a community college. Same education for significantly less money.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
An associate's degree from the College of DuPage would have cost less than one quarter at DePaul. I've taken about a year's worth of classes at COD, but really wish I would have just started out there and done the two years. I didn't even know what the hell I wanted to study then. Plus DePaul has some incredibly stupid gen eds that are a big waste of money.

At least I don't have a ridiculous amount of debt. But I wouldn't have any if I had planned better. Just didn't care enough at 18-20.

Last edited:

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
An associate's degree from the College of DuPage would have cost less than one quarter at DePaul. I've taken about a year's worth of classes at COD, but really wish I would have just started out there and done the two years. I didn't even know what the hell I wanted to study then. Plus DePaul has some incredibly stupid gen eds that are a big waste of money.

At least I don't have a ridiculous amount of debt. But I wouldn't have any if I had planned better. Just didn't care enough at 18-20.

Yeah, a lot of educators and just people in general these days don't do a good job at educating the youth to consider community college first. It's an equal education, for significantly cheaper. Most people think of community college as a 2nd tier education, but it's not. You'll get your GenEds out of the way for possibly a couple grand a semester. That's about what it cost for me. Kids grow up these days thinking community college is for the "dumb kids". It's actually for the smart kids who are thinking about their future, but didn't get full rides to 4-year schools.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm finishing up my Associates in Engineering at COD and I wouldn't have it any other way. In order to get a job in that field the transfer university you go to must be ABET certified and that really limits my options if I want to go somewhere in Chicago (which I do).

As of now I can only go to...

-UIC: Public university, extremely competitive program
-IIT: Private School, very expensive
-Northwestern: Private School, very expensive

I hear Loyola is getting an engineering program too, but even if they do they're also a very expensive private school. Without COD my student loans will be a nightmare. The education they give you is transferable essentially everywhere and the class sizes are at most 35 students. No TAs, plenty of one on one attention if you need it. All for roughly $140/credit hour

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Mmmmmm.... few things feel better than hot yoga on a cold, rainy day.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
No real surprise at this point, but Lt. Gliniewicz case ruled a suicide. Was about to be caught stealing money from the department.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That case just got more and more questionable with passing days/weeks

Figured after a while suicide might have been possible but didn't think he would turn out to be a dirty cop given how highly everyone talked about him up there

rkoroll

Feb 1, 2013
Where is the best place to get a cab LEAVING the UC?
I'm in CHI for work next weekend, got a free ticket to the Oilers game on Sunday but every year it takes me an hour to find a cab after the game.

Any advice?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The more details come out about that cop the more it seems like a hollywood movie script

Tried to hire a hitman to kill town official doing audit ,, If that wasn't bad enough he also wanted to plant drug evidence on official as well

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Where is the best place to get a cab LEAVING the UC?
I'm in CHI for work next weekend, got a free ticket to the Oilers game on Sunday but every year it takes me an hour to find a cab after the game.

Any advice?

Uber is the only way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad