anyone using skate fenders?

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
I'm recovering from a cut flexor tendon on my foot see picture, I'm a good ways out before I can actually do anything but when the time comes I can't wait to get back on the ice, I know I'm going to need some kind of protection that goes over the laces once I get the go ahead to play and the skate fenders look like they would be good, anyone try them? do they mess with your skating at all? I don't care how the look function over fashion is the most important thing for me. most of the bruising on my foot is from a shot I took on the laces 4 days before the tendon injury

backcheck7

Apr 13, 2015
From my understanding Shot Blockers are the way to go.

They're pricey but skate fenders end right at the top of the laces so sometimes the puck would ride up the fender, just over the laces and hit the skate tongue quite hard. The Shot Blocker XT goes all the way up.

Haven't used them myself but it looks like they're getting pretty popular in the NHL while skate fenders are rarely used.

http://www.shotblockers.com/

Jul 31, 2005
CA
From my understanding Shot Blockers are the way to go.

They're pricey but skate fenders end right at the top of the laces so sometimes the puck would ride up the fender, just over the laces and hit the skate tongue quite hard. The Shot Blocker XT goes all the way up.

Haven't used them myself but it looks like they're getting pretty popular in the NHL while skate fenders are rarely used.

http://www.shotblockers.com/

I agree. Skate fenders was the original idea but there is a new technology out there. I've never had issues with my feet so I have no need for these products but I would go with the shot blockers if I had to buy one or the other. Seems a lot less intrusive and bulky yet theoretically protects you in the vulnerable area of your feet.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
thanks for the input fellas, the shot blockers xt looks like it should do the trick since it goes right under the laces and that's pretty much the area I'm worried about

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
thanks for the input fellas, the shot blockers xt looks like it should do the trick since it goes right under the laces and that's pretty much the area I'm worried about

If you look at the picture of PK Suban on the shot blockers website, you'll see he's also wearing skate fenders under his shot blockers. Skate fenders are worn by tons of NHL players since it covers the majority of your foot, sometimes players like PK Suban wear both for extreme coverage.

I wear skate fenders and they are amazing in terms of protection - you don't even notice them while skating. A teammate has the shot blocker like PK Suban and he seems to like them, we even joked we could theoretically wear both. The picture on the shot blockers website shows some players actually do that like PK Suban.

I choose skate fenders because they cover more of the skate than anything else, that and my 17 inch shin guards go low enough to have almost no gap between the skate fenders and my shin guards (CCM RBZ).

Either way, you'll be protected than wearing nothing so you really can't go wrong.
http://www.skatefenders.com/home.html

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Well, just a few days ago I was playing left wing and had to cover the point when the other team's defenceman took a slap-shot and hit me in the shin guard, it stung for a bit but went away quickly since the shin guards are a pretty good spot to block a shot.

A few plays later the same scenario came up and and I blocked his lane again, this time the puck hit me just above the skate fender but below the shin guard in a tiny exposed area only protected by the skate tongue! Ouch, I went to the bench and couldn't ignore the pain. I played the remainder of the game in some pain, iced it at home, and hit up a hot tub. It was swollen for a day or two, but I was lucky since the puck hit the thickest part of the skate tongue and I think deflected off the Skate Fender before hitting the tongue.

Needless to say, I bought and installed the Shot Blocker XT model to cover the gap between the Skate Fenders and the shin guards. I block a lot of shots since I seem to be good at it, but now like PK Suban, almost all my skate is protected. My advice if you blocks shots as a winger like I do, or if you play defence, get the Skate Fenders full model, and Shot Blockers XT so you can block with little fear.

Sidenote, not only did I block some key shots as my team defeated the best team in our division (Who were undefeated till they played us), but I actually scored my first goal on this team to tie it up before we won 4-2! The boys in the locker room said I was crazy to get in the way of slap-shots on purpose, but now that my skates are fully protected I'll have even more fun blocking shots this Sunday when we play the 2nd ranked team (we're 3rd).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-subban-injured-blocking-shot-markov-rescue/
It was actually similar to when PK Suban got hit wearing Skate Fenders but not Shot Blockers... creepy since my story never intended to mention this video till I Googled it.
Long story, but a true one.

Last edited:

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I put them on AFTER I fractured my 5th metatarsal in my right foot when I blocked a clapper while heading up to cover the point.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
2 guys on my team use the shot blocker one, both have had injuries to their ankles repeatedly and they said its very good.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
thanks for all the reply's, just got cleared to start skating again so I'm hoping to start hitting some pick up games, think I'm going to start with the skate fenders as they look like they will be best for where my injury was, I'm going to do my best to not to block shots for a while but you never know when you'll take one on the laces

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Is the new tech for goalie skates related to skate fenders? I'm curious, because modern goalie skates have a hard toe cap and solid sides, similar to what a skate fender would be like on a skater's skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad