OT: Anyone in San Diego or Southern California?

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Been in San Diego for the past couple of years and I run into a Ranger fan every now and then, but overall I don’t know many fans to catch the game with. Just curious if anyone knows a good Ranger bar in the area!

Reactions: egelband

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I live in LA, haven't even looked for a Rangers Bar but I bet there's a NY bar in the Santa Monica area because i seem to recall there being a bar to watch NY Giants games. Just looked it up, apparently these are two bars on the west side of LA that show games if you ask:

West 4th/Jane in Santa Monica
O’Briens in the West Side

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Moved to LA about 4 months ago for my wife's work training. Haven't been to a Ranger bar yet so can't help you there.

I hate it here - everyone is fake. Great weather though.

We're moving back to NY this upcoming summer after her training is done. Can't wait to get out of here.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I lived in Encinitas for a while. Didn't like it--I understood why my dad called it "La La land" pretty quickly. I enjoyed the burrito places, and some of the "scenery," but that was it. I did catch several Ducks games and a few Angels games, and both were fun.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Moved to LA about 4 months ago for my wife's work training. Haven't been to a Ranger bar yet so can't help you there.

I hate it here - everyone is fake. Great weather though.

We're moving back to NY this upcoming summer after her training is done. Can't wait to get out of here.
LA is awful. Hate it there. San Diego is much more enjoyable IMO. Close to Mexico, good food, and the airport is pretty calm

I lived in Encinitas for a while. Didn't like it--I understood why my dad called it "La La land" pretty quickly. I enjoyed the burrito places, and some of the "scenery," but that was it. I did catch several Ducks games and a few Angels games, and both were fun.
Yeah that’s a weird spot. Not really SD. Not really LA. Really nice houses though

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know too many people who moved out west after growing up out east and end up sticking around.

It's an infinitely more difficult adjustment than the reverse. The "fake" people thing is a bit of a meme though, there are plenty of real people out there (though the vapid Hollywood caricatures certainly do exist.) FWIW, I enjoyed the SoCal crowd WAY more than I did people who populated the DC area, where I basically wanted to spike 75% of the people I met on top of the Washington monument LOL.

I live in LA, haven't even looked for a Rangers Bar but I bet there's a NY bar in the Santa Monica area because i seem to recall there being a bar to watch NY Giants games. Just looked it up, apparently these are two bars on the west side of LA that show games if you ask:

West 4th/Jane in Santa Monica
O’Briens in the West Side

I went to West 4th and Jane on the semi regular when I was in grad school so I can vouch for it. Really enjoyed that spot. Trek and a half from San Diego though.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't know too many people who moved out west after growing up out east and end up sticking around.

It's an infinitely more difficult adjustment than the reverse. The "fake" people thing is a bit of a meme though, there are plenty of real people out there (though the vapid Hollywood caricatures certainly do exist.)
Dude, I'm out here. It's fake as hell. Trust me.

The people are totally underwhelming and make zero effort to show up and be friends compared to back home.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Living out west is so polarizing. There's so much to like about it, but there's absolutely no soul. The intelligence levels, especially the emotional intelligence of people out there is a giant drawback.

I moved back after 15 years in various places & still feel like I'm too east coast for the west coast, but too west coast for the east coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peltz

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Living out west is so polarizing. There's so much to like about it, but there's absolutely no soul. The intelligence levels, especially the emotional intelligence of people out there is a giant drawback.

I moved back after 15 years in various places & still feel like I'm too east coast for the west coast, but too west coast for the east coast.
I'm not conflicted. I'm 100% east coast as soon as the year is up. I value the experience though - you don't know how amazing home is until you experience something else long term. Really love where I'm from and am able to appreciate it so much more now that I've spent time here in LA.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'm not conflicted. I'm 100% east coast as soon as the year is up. I value the experience though - you don't know how amazing home is until you experience something else long term. Really love where I'm from and am able to appreciate it so much more now that I've spent time here in LA.
I mostly agree with that, but the conflicting issues I'm describing are more of a personal nature. They certainly don't apply to everyone.

I love the scenery & the landscapes of the West... they are really unmatched here, even though there's beauty all over New England where I live now. It's just vastly different.

Plus I'm not a hyper competitive or materialistic person, which most people back here on the East Coast really are. There's an overall mindset about where you went to school, how much money you make etc etc etc. I don't give a shit about any of that... Nothing makes me wanna puke more than the "Keeping up with the Jones'" & Stepford wives mentality that pervades the North East.

But the west can never compete with the energy, the intellect & the tight knit communities that have been woven back here. Everything out there feels so temporary & transient.

But hey, YMMV & everyone needs to make up their mind about what works for them obviously. There's no one right answer. Like you I'm glad I got to experience it because it made me grateful for where I was raised & also what I want moving forward.

Reactions: Peltz

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I mostly agree with that, but the conflicting issues I'm describing are more of a personal nature. They certainly don't apply to everyone.

I love the scenery & the landscapes of the West... they are really unmatched here, even though there's beauty all over New England where I live now. It's just vastly different.

Plus I'm not a hyper competitive or materialistic person, which most people back here on the East Coast really are. There's an overall mindset about where you went to school, how much money you make etc etc etc. I don't give a shit about any of that... Nothing makes me wanna puke more than the "Keeping up with the Jones'" & Stepford wives mentality that pervades the North East.

But the west can never compete with the energy, the intellect & the tight knit communities that have been woven back here. Everything out there feels so temporary & transient.

But hey, YMMV & everyone needs to make up their mind about what works for them obviously. There's no one right answer. Like you I'm glad I got to experience it because it made me grateful for where I was raised & also what I want moving forward.
Well said.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I agree with a good chunk of this. I've been in LA over 20 years now. About 10 years in, you're no longer a true New Yorker in the sense that when you go back and visit the city, you don't get why everyone has to be in such a rush and seemingly rude. Like, chill out everyone. That said at 10 years, the LA vibe still feels very fake.

Having been out here and now in my mid-40s with a family, the experience is vastly different. When I was single, the lack of deeper connections was a very real thing. Back then, to me, east coast people were tough on the outside, very warm and loyal once you got past that. And West coasters seemed very nice on the surface, but once you got passed that, there wasn't always anything there. And that was deeply frustrating.

Now that i have a family and live in a neighborhood with other families, things feel far more communal. And certainly the pandemic actually fostered more of a community feel. I have a bunch of friends now where being there for each other is a constant. The sense of comradarie and warmth does exist in LA and elsewhere in Cali, but it takes a long time to find. And that does suck. But on the other hand, you can spend an extra 10-15 years constantly rediscovering yourself. Whether that's related to career, being creative, exploring foods, culture and travel and just so much. And once you've gone through enough phases, you come out feeling wiser for it. And more empathetic because you've tried on a lot of shoes.

But that all comes with a downside. Often a bit too much focus on the self.

I often have fantasies of living elsewhere though. But not necessarily moving back to the east coast. Many of my friends are international. (another plus of living in LA -- the world really can open up to you). And because of that, I think I wouldn't mind living in a totally different culture all together for a while.

Lastly, I've been to a lot of really beautiful places around the world and very little beats the coastline of Big Sur. Just gorgeous. And kinda chilly. Which I love.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
I moved to San Diego from LI and lived there for six years, loved it. In Houston now but working on going back. Never found a NY sports bar, even a bar with hockey on was a W.

Draft in Mission Beach always had hockey on though, Barleymash downtown or True North in North Park.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I agree with a good chunk of this. I've been in LA over 20 years now. About 10 years in, you're no longer a true New Yorker in the sense that when you go back and visit the city, you don't get why everyone has to be in such a rush and seemingly rude. Like, chill out everyone. That said at 10 years, the LA vibe still feels very fake.

Having been out here and now in my mid-40s with a family, the experience is vastly different. When I was single, the lack of deeper connections was a very real thing. Back then, to me, east coast people were tough on the outside, very warm and loyal once you got past that. And West coasters seemed very nice on the surface, but once you got passed that, there wasn't always anything there. And that was deeply frustrating.

Now that i have a family and live in a neighborhood with other families, things feel far more communal. And certainly the pandemic actually fostered more of a community feel. I have a bunch of friends now where being there for each other is a constant. The sense of comradarie and warmth does exist in LA and elsewhere in Cali, but it takes a long time to find. And that does suck. But on the other hand, you can spend an extra 10-15 years constantly rediscovering yourself. Whether that's related to career, being creative, exploring foods, culture and travel and just so much. And once you've gone through enough phases, you come out feeling wiser for it. And more empathetic because you've tried on a lot of shoes.

I often have fantasies of living elsewhere though. But not necessarily moving back to the east coast. Many of my friends are international. (another plus of living in LA -- the world really can open up to you). And because of that, I think I wouldn't mind living in a totally different culture all together for a while.

Lastly, I've been to a lot of really beautiful places around the world and very little beats the coastline of Big Sur. Just gorgeous. And kinda chilly. Which I love.
I never planned to move back east, but two things happened. One was Covid which in turn sparked another redistribution of wealth which spiked real estate prices & caused a mass exodus from California. I don't like California people as a group (i don't judge individuals) nor their politics & they've basically taken their insanity with them into every western state to the Mississippi. I also hate politics, so this isn't me choosing sides, but California is a disaster politically & now Nevada, where I lived for 10 years, Washington & Oregon are now basically LA suburbs with extremely overpriced housing and the same problems that plague California are going to spread like rabies. So my dream of retiring in 15 years on the Oregon coast isn't dead, but it's definitely on life support.

The other issue was attending my aunt's 90th birthday party about a week before lockdown. Made me realize after 15 years I really missed being so close to the energy & intellect that's sorely lacking out west. Then when things went crazy & real estate became out of control, it made sense to move back. The health of a family member came into play as well, so circumstances conspired, but I'm thrilled to say that Connecticut is massively underrated. I do still dream of coastal Oregon & maybe I'll revisit that at some point, but if not, I'll wind up somewhere on the Connecticut shoreline & that'll be just fine.

To your point, after 7 years in Vegas, I finally broke through & made a connection with a solid group of friends. They are literally the only thing I miss about living in Sin City. Talk about vapid people. Vegas has wanted to be LA in the worst way...& that's exactly what that town is, the worst parts of LA without the beach. So glad to be out of there.

I moved to San Diego from LI and lived there for six years, loved it. In Houston now but working on going back. Never found a NY sports bar, even a bar with hockey on was a W.

Draft in Mission Beach always had hockey on though, Barleymash downtown or True North in North Park.
North Park is a great area to live if you're not downtown.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My good friend just moved back from California- LA - he described it as the loneliest place on earth.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in LA between 2013-2017 and even lived there for half a summer, I 100% agree with your friend.

It's not like NY where you can walk or metro places, if you don't have a car or know anyone, you are royally screwed.

My friend's now wife was in the newspaper industry out there, she does not drive and used that exact phrase as to why she got out of dodge with the first chance.

Reactions: Kocur26

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Interesting thread and to add some context, I can see why East Coasters hate the West Coast.

It really depends what you want. If you want great weather, San Diego is the place to be but it doesn't have a huge economy.

LA is interesting. If you go in with an open mind, hustle, and don't take the people too seriously, you'll be successful. It helps if you know people and network.

It also depends what you're out there for. If you're trying to get job in finance or data, a little different from film or entertainment. My favorite LA story involves Chad Smith, who many of you should know as the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He went out there in 1987-1988 after having played in signed Detroit bands where he was from, and was working various jobs in film behind the scenes with dreams of being an actor. Someone he met was dating a very young guitarist named John Frusciante who mentioned the band he just joined was looking for a drummer, and well, millions and millions of records later.

But that requires a certain personality and go with the flowness which he has (Chad and Doug Weight were both on NHL Network during the 2012 playoffs talking about Michigan, very surreal for me lol).

LA I also find that the people their can't handle the attention to detail and organization of East Coasters. Very rarely are things planned out and if they are, the people often cancel.

At one point in my life I was very set on moving to LA, but I had a heartbreaking experience with a girl out there and it very much soured me, plus it's declined so much over the last 4-5 years (similar to NY).

Seattle while having issues is still the winner to me. Portland I call sweet and sour land. Some very cool stuff, and some very meh stuff.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Thanks everyone for your perspective, and especially this post I quoted here since you’ve managed to break through and confirm that sense of community can be found here if you give it enough time. That’s a very objective and rational perspective you have.

We are still moving back to the NYC area (wife signed a contract out there that starts in summer 2023) but I’m trying to have a more open mind about people out here for the next 8-9 months.

Coincidentally, just a few days ago after I posted in this thread, we just made friends with a few people randomly on a line at a restaurant and are hanging out with them in a week or so. So yea, cool people are *everywhere* if you are willing to be open minded, and no place is all bad.

Reactions: gravey9

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Lived in LA for 10 years, still go back most years for the west coast trip. Can vouch for West 4th/Jane, used to go all the time, but it's been at least 4 years since I've been so maybe things have changed.

Never found a Rangers bar in SD.

NYR90

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
Been in Hermosa Beach for a little over 6 years. I know this is where all the Kings live and it's "their bar" but I find watching games at North End to be worth it. Whenever I go for a big Rangers game I usually run into another Rangers fan or two. I'm usually in a Rangers jersey and have never had an issue (except that one time visiting in the summer of 2014....).

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Been in Hermosa Beach for a little over 6 years. I know this is where all the Kings live and it's "their bar" but I find watching games at North End to be worth it. Whenever I go for a big Rangers game I usually run into another Rangers fan or two. I'm usually in a Rangers jersey and have never had an issue (except that one time visiting in the summer of 2014....).
I drove down from Vegas for Game 1 of the Finals. Started off great...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad