anyone else hate the center ice salute to fans by the losers?

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Personally, I think this is one of the distinctives that separate the NHL from the other major sports - gestures of goodwill like handshakes and saluting their fans, many of whom have stuck by their team through thick and thin throughout the season.

In a way, it may also be a way for the fans to see the entire team assembled on the ice one last time. Some players may not return, some players may retire, some may be traded, etc. So I think it's a very appropriate way for that iteration of the team to show themselves to their fans one last time.

As the season officially concludes with the losing team's elimination, it's a nice way to thank the fans for coming out, cheering for them, and in a way, it recognizes that they wouldn't be where they were without the fans' support.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Tell that to Leaf fans who cried big ol' alligator tears over 'salute-gate'

Reactions: BB79

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
It literally is "faux sincerity". No player actually cares outside of a hard fought win, and even then it's just a self-masturbatory action for proclamation.

People are so weird when you really look at it lol

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I think Rangers started it off like 10 years ago or so after every home game? I dont know. But I remember them doing it and now teams seem to copy them.

I always thought it looked pretty dumb, and the play by play have to along with it.... "here's the players at centre ice saluting the crowd"
Darius Kasperitus started it for the Rangers after home ice wins... probably more like 20 years ago.

Edit - just checked, they started it in the 05-06 season.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
It’s a mutual acknowledgment of the season-long investment of time and effort by both parties and it’s totally appropriate IMO

If there is any cringiness in this scenario it’s the “let’s go bruins chant” after the team has lost and the season is over.

I would think just some sustained applause with a standing ovation would suffice

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
If you don't like it then don't salute your team back, flip them off. Problem solved.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
You see in soccer where players will go to their fans in good times and in bad.. Show their appreciation for spending their hard earned money to travel to watch them play.

As long as the environment is not toxic.. it's generally mutual appreciation .

Reactions: Cinderblox

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Never thought I'd see complaining about players showing appreciation to the fans who help pay their salaries, and give the fans one last chance before the next season to show appreciation to the team. In the case of the Bruins this season it made more sense than ever given that the team went further than most thought they would, not to mention it was their centennial season.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They're thanking them for their support for the season, as they won't be on the ice for the fans until September.

Wet blanket

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What an absolutely absurd thing to get worked up about. It's a gesture from the players to show their appreciation for a year of support from the fans.

This is one of those things where you just assume without thinking that no one could possibly be upset by it, yet here you are.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
What would OP rather have? The captain having a national televised interview right at centre ice for an hour to dissect why the team doesn't have any more games to play this season?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
d784085d-69cc-40bf-b255-8fd0594e1fb0_text.gif

Reactions: Guttersniped

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
All the teams that don't make the playoffs do it. Last thank you to the fans for their support.

I know that is even worse lol literally saluting fans cheering complete failure

I think Rangers started it off like 10 years ago or so after every home game? I dont know. But I remember them doing it and now teams seem to copy them.

I always thought it looked pretty dumb, and the play by play have to along with it.... "here's the players at centre ice saluting the crowd"

it seems to have come back from players who played in the euro leagues during the 2012 lockout

Reactions: 647Hockey

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
100% agree with the OP. I don't want to see fans support their team when they're struggling, nor do I want to see players acknowledge the fans for doing so. I want to see the whole fanbase abandon their team, burn their jerseys and the entire city any time they lose a playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad