Anybody uses Grammarly?

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I have to be BRUTALLY honest: I have a hard time with the English language. (I misspelled "brutally" and "English" right in this comment. Who does that?) I don't have dyslexia; I have trouble with spelling and verb tenses. So, while watching YouTube, I saw ads for "Grammarly." I thought I should download the app. It does help, though there are some minor annoyances.

1. You might want to get the paid "Premium" features if you get this app.
  2. Even Grammarly will not know what you think if you misspell a word. You might need to get Google Assistant, Siri, Alexa, or maybe get Dragon software, just in case.
  3. Even though this app was designed by 50 or more English professors, there are some errors that I don't know if they're errors. Then again, Grammarly is a software. Glitches can and will happen.
  4. I keep writing in the passive voice. I don't know how to fix it. If anybody knows how to fix it, please comment below. Grammarly doesn't give me ANY advice.

While not perfect, Grammarly is the best English app for me. Have any other members used this app?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
passive voice just means you use any conjugation of the verb "to be": I am, you are, he is, etc. along with the indefinite form of a verb. It's not bad in and of itself, but done too often slows down what should be the natural progression of language. Tell me which of these sentences can be read easier:

I was going to the bank because I was in need of some cash. As I am getting there, I am seeing there is a line. I will be getting $100 and will be spending it on booze.

I went to the bank because I needed some cash. As I get there, I see a line. I will get $100 and will spend it on booze.

A good way to know if you use passive voice too much is if you see a lot of "ing" verbs in your writing, the indefinite form of verbs. I am running rather than I run. I was thinking rather than I thought. I will be flying rather than I will fly.

Again, it's not bad if you have a few instances per page, but if you use it in every sentence, your reader may lose focus on the point you're trying to get across.

Let me know if you want more help - a Fortune 500 company pays me to write things so I'm halfway good at this stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad