Prospect Info: Anybody know much about this Noel Hoefenmayer signing by us!?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have had the opportunity to watch alot of 67's games, the last two years specifically. He has great offensive instincts and an awesome shot, runs a pp very well, however as much as his skating could limit him I find its between the ears that I had the biggest issue with. He is a strong player, good on one and one battles and if he works on his skating he could be an NHL'er from that stand point, it likely takes a few years but he could get there. Rest of his physical game is NHL. However he is very prone to making incredibly irresponsible decisions on the ice. I found him very frusterating, many many times he makes the selfish play over the safe play I just dont know if he has it in his DNA to make the right decisions. He often tries to force a breakout pass when its not there and takes unnecessary risk, he often doesn't move his feet when in a defensively compromised situation. He is always ALWAYS thinking offense. I think he just blacks out sometimes, in the playoffs last year I saw something you dont even see a bantaam player would do. It was a point shot and instead of blocking it or getting out of the way of his goalie he tried to knock the puck down with his stick tipping it through the goalies legs. I was in shock an OHL player would do this let alone a 19 year old veteran.

That said he has raw talent, and given its only an AHL contract with the resources the leafs have in player development its a no risk move. I think it could be years but he could get there, he needs to change his mentality. I am not saying it wont happen because it can it would take some very good coaching and patience.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
For a second was a bit annoyed that I thought we gave him an NHL deal because I have a very hard time seeing him overcome his lack of mobility to become an effective NHLer. But, as an AHL gamble for an NHL team that essentially has no internal cap, whatever.

This isn't just a power/speed issue. This is probably asking for a bigger turnaround than we were attempting with Nielsen. I also can't really think of someone she's turned from a bad skater at the OHL level, to someone who is a passable NHL player for us. Everything about his skating needs to be re-worked, which is almost impossible to fix.
Gauthier had to re-learn how to walk, let alone skate, after being illegally boarded by Dotchin. She literally took him from ground zero to a 6’5” effortless skater.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I know it was the Q and not the O but wasn't Gauthier a pretty bad skater when he was drafted?

By no means is Mason Marchment an NHL player but he got some games in before he was traded which was thought of as a crazy long shot when he was signed to an AHL contract.

Gauthier is probably the most improved, Connor Brown was never a bad skater but he improved under her as well and has some decent wheels on him now.

Kid has an elite hockey name, hope he makes it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Are they? I don't have access to chl advanced stata but over the years, i have not been impressed with the yotes draft picks besides conor garland in 2015.

Yep, their GM was known as the wunderkid of Advance Stats... weither this actually benefits the 'Yotes is a different story.

Reactions: Prominence

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I have had the opportunity to watch alot of 67's games, the last two years specifically. He has great offensive instincts and an awesome shot, runs a pp very well, however as much as his skating could limit him I find its between the ears that I had the biggest issue with. He is a strong player, good on one and one battles and if he works on his skating he could be an NHL'er from that stand point, it likely takes a few years but he could get there. Rest of his physical game is NHL. However he is very prone to making incredibly irresponsible decisions on the ice. I found him very frusterating, many many times he makes the selfish play over the safe play I just dont know if he has it in his DNA to make the right decisions. He often tries to force a breakout pass when its not there and takes unnecessary risk, he often doesn't move his feet when in a defensively compromised situation. He is always ALWAYS thinking offense. I think he just blacks out sometimes, in the playoffs last year I saw something you dont even see a bantaam player would do. It was a point shot and instead of blocking it or getting out of the way of his goalie he tried to knock the puck down with his stick tipping it through the goalies legs. I was in shock an OHL player would do this let alone a 19 year old veteran.

That said he has raw talent, and given its only an AHL contract with the resources the leafs have in player development its a no risk move. I think it could be years but he could get there, he needs to change his mentality. I am not saying it wont happen because it can it would take some very good coaching and patience.

Thanks for the scouting report.

Good luck in the lottery tomorrow.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I like the opinions good or bad on him. He’s a project by looks ofit

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

So we have a successor to the Jake Gardiner, Tyson Barrie lineage but might be cheaper!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
This is strictly a depth move, as his skating and mobility make him a very limited prospect with any real NHL potential.

Don't let the stats fool you as a 5 year OHLer playing as an overager making him among the oldest players in the league and already 21, he would have an advantage against much younger players.

He seems like the defense version of Justin Brazeau, players that tear up the OHL as overagers but skating limitations make them ECHL level players at pro level.

This kid was a 4th round draft pick that got better each season. Some pedigree here. Free wallets are free wallets.

I just wish we would find this same level prospect but as a Justin Holl like skill set. Are there no wanabe stay at home Dmen out there anymore?

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
So, the opposite of Morgan Rielly.

Rielly had 20 goals 72 points a couple of years ago but has an ECHL level shot according to you?. Just so you know,
your opinion regarding anything Leaf related is now officially insignificant. No need to reply, Cheers lol

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Rielly had 20 goals 72 points a couple of years ago but has an ECHL level shot according to you?. Just so you know,
your opinion regarding anything Leaf related is now officially insignificant. No need to reply, Cheers lol

Rielly has a muffin. Most of those 20 goals were scored on the rush where its more about getting off a quick shot on net.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Love the optimism, but how many times have we said this before?
Way too many times. She isn't a magician with a wand. It's like people think these guys never had skating coaches before. My summer skating camp coach in the 90's was the Leafs skating coach. You don't suddenly have a revelation hanging out with Underhill.

Reactions: Kiwi and hotpaws

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Reply I shall!

For a supposed #1 D, Rielly really does lack an effective slap shot from the point. That is not fiction, but fact!

Sure, his wrist shot is decent, however, it is still not elite either for a #1 D.

I coached under 18s that possessed a harder point shot!

The only asset Rielly does have in abundance is his skating ability!

Reality is reality.

You are welcome to your opinion as I am to mine!

Cheers to you, and... no need to reply!

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Reminds me a lot of Mackenzie Weegar for the Florida Panthers. Weegar played 2 seasons in Halifax with Drouin, MacKinnon, Firk, Ehlers and Meier and put up some great numbers running their powerplay, on his way to a Memorial Cup. Despite playing so well, we was viewed simply as the "5th man" on the ice playing with a loaded top 6 and an elite powerplay. Ultimately, that led to Weegar being passed up in the Draft until late in the 7th round, when Florida swapped picks with Montreal for the following year and Dave Tallon traded back in to select him. It took Weegar a couple years to adjust from his offensive role in junior, to more of a two way role in the NHL, but now, at 26, Weegar is a 6'0, 205lb, smooth skating, 2 way guy. When the NHL went on hiatus he had 18 points in 33 games played this season (missed time concussed earlier on) and was a +6.

If Toronto could get a Weegar out of Hoefenmayer, 3 years from now, I'd be very pleased.

Reactions: The Iceman

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reminds me a lot of Mackenzie Weegar for the Florida Panthers. Weegar played 2 seasons in Halifax with Drouin, MacKinnon, Firk, Ehlers and Meier and put up some great numbers running their powerplay, on his way to a Memorial Cup. Despite playing so well, we was viewed simply as the "5th man" on the ice playing with a loaded top 6 and an elite powerplay. Ultimately, that led to Weegar being passed up in the Draft until late in the 7th round, when Florida swapped picks with Montreal for the following year and Dave Tallon traded back in to select him. It took Weegar a couple years to adjust from his offensive role in junior, to more of a two way role in the NHL, but now, at 26, Weegar is a 6'0, 205lb, smooth skating, 2 way guy. When the NHL went on hiatus he had 18 points in 33 games played this season (missed time concussed earlier on) and was a +6.

If Toronto could get a Weegar out of Hoefenmayer, 3 years from now, I'd be very pleased.
Weegar was very high in stats related to zone exits and moving the puck too. I posted a article where it was showing Morgan Rielly as the best at it but Weegar was right there with him. Kind of a huge steal for Florida

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reply I shall!

For a supposed #1 D, Rielly really does lack an effective slap shot from the point. That is not fiction, but fact!

Sure, his wrist shot is decent, however, it is still not elite either for a #1 D.

Reality is reality.

72 points and 20 goals say good shot. Hard shot no. Good accurate shot yes. Morgs never uses a slapper very-much and its not because he’s using it as a ace up his sleeve:)
He should practice it and improve it regardless. He said himself he doesn’t like the slapper because he’s not accurate with it.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Rielly has a muffin. Most of those 20 goals were scored on the rush where its more about getting off a quick shot on net.
Yes, very true most of his goals are scored of the rush where having a quick accurate release is crucial in scoring rather than blasting away from the blue line. Nevertheless, those are some of the attributes of being a non-ECHL level shooter.. which was the original point. Hardest shot doesn't always equal sharpest shooter..
All the best, cheers

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Reply I shall!

Reality is reality.

Seems like all you did was disprove your original statement lmfao which was Rielly had an ECHL level shot. You seem very confused in general..
Most get hard at times being a lonely trolling hater I suppose.. best of luck to you in your future endeavors, cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad