Salary Cap: Anybody else think what Ottawa did is BS?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Tampa could not sign Brayden Point without dumping SC so they trade Callahan 5.8M (IR) to Ottawa for Condon 1.3M plus they get Tampa's 5th round pick for Ottawa's 6th round pick which is basically moving up one spot. Mean while Tampa has 2 first round picks in the 2020 draft.
So now Tampa has $11M salary cap space and they can give Point that big contract. This will drive up the price on Laine and Connor contracts plus the Flames only have $5M space for Tkachuk and the Leafs have Zero space for Marner ... it seems the Sens are really putting the screws to the Canadians teams.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Cap dumps have been common the last few years. I think you'd have to really stretch it to "putting the screws to Canadian teams". It's more an extremely cheap owner trying all the tricks he can to hit the floor but spend as little actual money as possible.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Shameful that they would help a division rival IMHO. That said, it's not my $2M.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The Callahan and Miller trades illustrate how good GMs take advantage of bad GMs. Meanwhile Chevy allowed Trouba to dictate his trade destination because he didn't want to tarnish his reputation by trading him somewhere he wouldn't re-sign.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I dint think people that never have to ever sign the front of a cheque should complain about someone being cheap. Ottawa isnt competing for a spot this year so saving a couple of million isnt a bad thing. That was their 3rd string goalie. What should they do pay him 3 million for nothing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Callahan and Miller trades illustrate how good GMs take advantage of bad GMs. Meanwhile Chevy allowed Trouba to dictate his trade destination because he didn't want to tarnish his reputation by trading him somewhere he wouldn't re-sign.
You also need ownership willing to give up a big chunk of their operating profit to help facilitate the deal. Callan's salary is covered by insurance and he there is no chance he plays due to a degenerate back problem. So Melnyk has cap space taken up by a salary he doesn't have to pay. TB on the other hand has to pick up a $3 M base salary for a 6th goalie in their organization that they have absolutely no use for. There is also a cap implication of $1.325 to bury the salary. And none of the circumstances fit the Jets situation as they don't have a player with a career ending injury in which to sell for cap space. Not sure how we somehow get upset at Chevy over this when none of the conditions apply to the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It all started way before Point. GMs are stupid.
This trade has nothing to do with a GM being smart or stupid. Actually it is probable that Melnyk made the arrangements with Vinik directly and just told Dorion to facilitate the move. It is basically a rich owner writing a $3M check to a cheap a** owner to free up cap space for him. If you want to be upset be mad at the CBA that allows billionaire owners the freedom to use their wealth to circumvent the spirit of the collective agreement.

Reactions: surixon

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Well a contract is a contract. If the league doesn't like this type of move they should close the loophole, except the PA will fight it because that's all they know how to do.

Either way the people who are getting screwed are the Ottawa fans and ticket holders IMO.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
It's the perfect balance to teams that pay $90MM in salary dollars when the cap is way less. Signing bonuses, etc.

I would be very frustrated if my team's owner was doing all these deals to circumvent the floor, though. Arizona did weird things to reach the floor all the time, too.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Are you familiar with the Mark Twain quote, "To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail"?

With the handle FireChevy you should probably know it.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
LOL....saw the title and thought this would be a thread about cap circumvention. Guess not. :D

I wouldn't go as far as calling Dorion "shrewd" or "smart". They've been pretty vocal about running on the cheap for the next 2 years at least. His phone is probably ringing off the hook with guys trying to dump contracts on him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Guess we need another Uber ride to see how the Ottawa players feel about this . :laugh: All i can say is thank god we have Chipman as our owner and not Melnut .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dint think people that never have to ever sign the front of a cheque should complain about someone being cheap. Ottawa isnt competing for a spot this year so saving a couple of million isnt a bad thing. That was their 3rd string goalie. What should they do pay him 3 million for nothing.

Ummmmm ..... how do they save any money? They have to pay Callahan 4.7 mil.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You also need ownership willing to give up a big chunk of their operating profit to help facilitate the deal. Callan's salary is covered by insurance and he there is no chance he plays due to a degenerate back problem. So Melnyk has cap space taken up by a salary he doesn't have to pay. TB on the other hand has to pick up a $3 M base salary for a 6th goalie in their organization that they have absolutely no use for. There is also a cap implication of $1.325 to bury the salary. And none of the circumstances fit the Jets situation as they don't have a player with a career ending injury in which to sell for cap space. Not sure how we somehow get upset at Chevy over this when none of the conditions apply to the Jets.

Where did you find out that Callahan's salary is covered by insurance?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
LOL....saw the title and thought this would be a thread about cap circumvention. Guess not. :D

I wouldn't go as far as calling Dorion "shrewd" or "smart". They've been pretty vocal about running on the cheap for the next 2 years at least. His phone is probably ringing off the hook with guys trying to dump contracts on him.

Nope, only took 4 posts to turn into "Chevy is an idiot".

Ottawa is trading for contracts where the hit is larger than the actual salary. I'm willing to bet that Perreault and Kulikov don't have a significantly reduced real dollar value of their contracts to their cap hit.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This trade has nothing to do with a GM being smart or stupid. Actually it is probable that Melnyk made the arrangements with Vinik directly and just told Dorion to facilitate the move. It is basically a rich owner writing a $3M check to a cheap a** owner to free up cap space for him. If you want to be upset be mad at the CBA that allows billionaire owners the freedom to use their wealth to circumvent the spirit of the collective agreement.
I agree, but there shouldn't be any need for it. If they weren't overpaying RFAs unnecessarily, perhaps we'd see less of this.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Can someone help me understand why Ottawa/Tampa even did this deal?

I thought that players on LTIR didn't count towards the cap, and that was why the Leafs traded for Clarkson because they could bury him in LTIR and free up cap space? So why did TB even need to do this and how does it help Ottawa reach the cap floor?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can someone help me understand why Ottawa/Tampa even did this deal?

I thought that players on LTIR didn't count towards the cap, and that was why the Leafs traded for Clarkson because they could bury him in LTIR and free up cap space? So why did TB even need to do this and how does it help Ottawa reach the cap floor?

I'd have to read more detail, but I believe LTIR still counts against the cap but allows you to go over a certain percentage until a particular date? I think the purpose of this move for Ottawa is that they can hit their cap target by the date that they are required to, and then put him on LTIR and get the insurance to pay most of the salary.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Ottawa has $15MM on it's IR now.

It gets them over the cap floor, but IIRC insurance is paying most of those salaries. So large cap hit, but little real money flowing out.

Ottawa is going to suck at an epic level this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad