Any rule changes for the upcomming season?

The Assailant*

some changes I want to see:

1. no touch icing (why waste game time on it and risk dangerous injuries?)
2. curved nets (why not give it a try)
3. tight goalie sweaters (so there is more net to shoot at and puck doesn't get cought in the jersey)
4. slightly wider bluelines (for fewer offsides)
5. not having to go through waivers when you are called up (makes no sense that you would go to waivers when a team is trying to play you)
6. loosen the rules on illegal sticks (what is the big deal how big the curve is?)
7. penalize/punish refs that make too many bad calls and/or miss too many penalties
8. make powerplays continuous 2 minutes
9. NHL should crackdown on the hockey stick manufacturers for making defective sticks which break too easily.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Remove all restrictions on curvature of sticks.

Increase size of crease to give goalies more protection while trying to be a goalie.

Remove trapazoid rule and allow goalies to play the puck anywhere in the defensive zone.

Make goalies fair game when outside the larger crease. If they want to play like a desfenseman, let them suffer the consequences rather than giving their team a free first pass.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Please, get rid of that god dang over the glass 2 min penalty. Treat as icing.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
No more tweaking the rules/ice/equipment. Get rid of the trapezoid, I don't think I saw one extra offensive oppurtunity as a result of it and it only slowed the game down. I hope they get rid of the shootouts. They really weren't very exciting. Actually they were just stupid.

The Assailant*

also

10. get rid of the divisions it makes no sense that if you are best team out of a horrible division you not only are handed a playoff spot but also 3rd in the conference

11. make each team play 14 teams in its conference 5 times each--this will generate more rivalries and each team in the other conference 1 time each because it is fun to play against all the teams. No more 8 games against same 4 teams because it gets very boring. This will mean an 85 game season which is not a big deal it should generate more revenue

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
also

10. get rid of the divisions it makes no sense that if you are best team out of a horrible division you not only are handed a playoff spot but also 3rd in the conference

11. make each team play 14 teams in its conference 5 times each--this will generate more rivalries and each team in the other conference 1 time each because it is fun to play against all the teams. No more 8 games against same 4 teams because it gets very boring. This will mean an 85 game season which is not a big deal it should generate more revenue

Anyone who wins a division is overwhelmingly likely to have a playoff spot in any event. And playoffs standings and their resultant matchups and home-ice advantage don't seem to matter much.

Your proposal would require 85 games per team, and no balance between home/away games between any two competitors. The season is already too long. The h/a imbalance would be unpopular. It would also unbalance interconference play, also an unpopular idea.

I would suggest reading/resurrecting one of the long threads on regular season play and add to it.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
also

Whoo hoo! Five Buffalo-Florida games a year! I like 8 games against rivals better. I don't think having a team like Montreal play Tampa Bay 5 times a year would make them rivals.

Ug. This is a professional sports league. Professional sports leagues don't alter things whimsically just for a change.

Here are my changes:

larger goal crease
removal of no-touch zone for goalies
5-player shootout instead of 3
3 pts for a regulation win, 2 pts for an OT or SO win, 1 pt for OT or SO loss
no penalty for flipping puck over glass
more "mini-series", where 2 teams play 3 consecutive games against each other

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
also

The horrible division in each conference will change frequently in a cap system so its not a big deal.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
some changes I want to see:

1. no touch icing (why waste game time on it and risk dangerous injuries?)
3. tight goalie sweaters (so there is more net to shoot at and puck doesn't get cought in the jersey)
4. slightly wider bluelines (for fewer offsides)
5. not having to go through waivers when you are called up (makes no sense that you would go to waivers when a team is trying to play you)
6. loosen the rules on illegal sticks (what is the big deal how big the curve is?)
7. penalize/punish refs that make too many bad calls and/or miss too many penalties
8. make powerplays continuous 2 minutes
9. NHL should crackdown on the hockey stick manufacturers for making defective sticks which break too easily.

10. Instant Death Sentence for anyone who mispells thread titles.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I think they ought to stop giving points to the loser. There is a decision in every game now - give each winner 1 point.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
I defintely want the NHl to go back to the old schedule. Playing 8 games against one team is boring.
I also agree with getting rid of the shoot outs, but doubt it will happen. So could we at least have 5 shooters per team?

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
Unlimited stick curve size is the only one I think is needed for sure. Oh, and make the ice blue.;)

Other than that, maybe try out other stuff in the AHL or some other minor league, but there's really no need to make a ton of changes right now. One thing I'd like to see tested (and I know a lot of people won't like this) is try adjusting or tightening the netting above the glass so it quickly drops the puck back down onto the ice to let the teams keep playing without a whistle. I don't know if it would work or not, but it would be interesting to see.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
get rid of the delay of game penalty when you dump the puck over the boards, get rid of the rule about your blade curve

The Assailant*

Whoo hoo! Five Buffalo-Florida games a year! I like 8 games against rivals better. I don't think having a team like Montreal play Tampa Bay 5 times a year would make them rivals.

trust me, if you get rid of divisions the entire conferense becomes a big rivalry because you will be directly fighting for points with each of the 14 teams

5-player shootout instead of 3

yes, excellent idea

no penalty for flipping puck over glass

needs to be some compromise

larger goal crease

what is the point?

Anyone who wins a division is overwhelmingly likely to have a playoff spot in any event. And playoffs standings and their resultant matchups and home-ice advantage don't seem to matter much.

let's say Florida a top team in their division has 87 points, while Toronto has 90 points but don't make the playoffs because they are 8th in points in the EAST, so it a fair system? Under the cap there is no more need to have divisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad