any old canucks tape collectors?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm guessing we might have some old tape collectors on this board.

does anyone happen to have video of the nordiques - canucks game of dec 10, 1990? or even just video of the overtime game winner? i can't find that goal on youtube.

i ask because it was the first game i ever attended, at the old coliseum. burnaby joe sakic scored near the end of overtime. the only memory i have of it was everyone stood up right before sakic scored, making it impossible for me to see what was going on. dad didn't have the presence of mind to lift me on his shoulders.

thanks in advance.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I have two games on VHS. I know one is the 94 game 7 against Calagary,but the other I would have to go back and look. Highly doubtful it is the game you are looking for.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Yosoo A.K.A GoCanucksGo is a resource for old Canucks footage, though I once placed a request and he responded in the affirmative, only to not deliver. YMMV.

With the exception of the 1989 playoffs, the dark period of Canucks history between 1983 and 1991 is seemingly lost to time as far as video is concerned. As a wannabe archivist myself, I wish I could fix that.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
thanks for the responses guys.

yeah it's a crazy long shot. it was 1991, in a regular season game between the team with the 1st and 2nd overall picks the previous year so i doubt it was even televised. but maybe there's a joe sakic superfan out there who has a local quebec city broadcast...

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I haven't perfected this restoration technique, but here's some pre-existing YT footage from the same season which I pushed to 60fps:

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
i'm guessing we might have some old tape collectors on this board.

does anyone happen to have video of the nordiques - canucks game of dec 10, 1990? or even just video of the overtime game winner? i can't find that goal on youtube.

i ask because it was the first game i ever attended, at the old coliseum. burnaby joe sakic scored near the end of overtime. the only memory i have of it was everyone stood up right before sakic scored, making it impossible for me to see what was going on. dad didn't have the presence of mind to lift me on his shoulders.

thanks in advance.

I vividly remember watching that game and Hughson's call "SENSATIONAL GOAL BY JOEEEEEEEEE SAKIC!!!!" This means it was televised on TSN.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I vividly remember watching that game and Hughson's call "SENSATIONAL GOAL BY JOEEEEEEEEE SAKIC!!!!" This means it was televised on TSN.

Sadly I heard that WAY too many times against the Canucks.:cry:

Not saying we would've picked him, but we traded Cam Neely + 1st round pick 1987 (year Sakic was drafted) for Barry Pederson.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ah so a couple of you saw that goal. do either of you remember it well enough to describe the goal?

all these years later, i still wish i'd actually seen it instead of just hearing everyone groan.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
ah so a couple of you saw that goal. do either of you remember it well enough to describe the goal?

all these years later, i still wish i'd actually seen it instead of just hearing everyone groan.

I don't remember it at all. I should not have described by memory as "vivid." I do remember that call from Hughson though. It stuck with me as I found him to be annoying back in those days......like after someone would throw a bit his he'd yell "THAT'S HOCKEY!"

Based on Hughson's call, the goal was, well, pretty good. Given that everyone stood up the way you described, I would have to think it was a breakaway deke.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
I don't remember it at all. I should not have described by memory as "vivid." I do remember that call from Hughson though. It stuck with me as I found him to be annoying back in those days......like after someone would throw a bit his he'd yell "THAT'S HOCKEY!"

Based on Hughson's call, the goal was, well, pretty good. Given that everyone stood up the way you described, I would have to think it was a breakaway deke.

Note that should read "throw a big hit."

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think streamable is a better medium than youtube as youtube has a nasty habit of removing stuff with people's knowledge.

A Canucks archival footage thread would be great!

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Trying out Streamable. A huge advantage over YouTube is that I don't have to scale things up to an HD resolution to enable 60fps playback. The big disadvantage is that I can't embed Streamable videos with our current BBCode system.

Here's the first test.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Trying out Streamable. A huge advantage over YouTube is that I don't have to scale things up to an HD resolution to enable 60fps playback. The big disadvantage is that I can't embed Streamable videos with our current BBCode system.

Here's the first test.

Awesome stuff. A general archival thread would be great!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Here's the first test.

Is that full speed because it looks like beer league pace has it lost a few FPS? It probably is, 80s games are never as good looking back, slower and softer and amusing goaltending. What a snipe by #27 though, amazing. Down low where mama hides the dust bunnies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad