Any OHL Teams affected by Bells recent cuts

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
News came out today that Bell is cutting 9% of it's workforce and selling off 45 radio stations. I'm wondering if any OHL teams are affected?

List of stations can be found here

CKLC is "Pure Country" which is the Frontenacs primary radio broadcaster - not sure if it impacts anything this season, but could change moving forward. CFLY is also a Fronts broadcast partner...

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
At first glance at the article, I don't think the radio will change...the stations were sold and not closed so the new owners will have to decide if they want to carry hockey which I'm guessing they will since there's probably a steady advertising revenue that they don't want to lose.

I imagine that with technology these days, it's probably pretty easy for a team to just provide their own internet radio broadcast so a radio station needs to be a true partner because they probably need the team for a revenue source just as much as the team needs them for local broadcasting.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
At first glance at the article, I don't think the radio will change...the stations were sold and not closed so the new owners will have to decide if they want to carry hockey which I'm guessing they will since there's probably a steady advertising revenue that they don't want to lose.

I imagine that with technology these days, it's probably pretty easy for a team to just provide their own internet radio broadcast so a radio station needs to be a true partner because they probably need the team for a revenue source just as much as the team needs them for local broadcasting.
If anything those stations that were sold are probably better off now, since they won't have the Evil Empire controlling them any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad