Speculation: Any chance Luke Richardson joins Tim Murray?

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I speculated about this months ago before anyone thought Murray would be in the running for the GM job in Buffalo, but after this appointment I could definitely see Richardson being among the top of Tim's list for a head coaching job.

Why it could happen:
  • Head coaching job is ostensibly vacant
  • Tim Murray has been GM of Binghamton, where Richardson has coached
  • Richardson has coached very well in difficult circumstances (injuries in Ottawa last year left the Bingo roster decimated also)
  • Richardson has been shown to be a fantastic developer and mentor of young talent (e.g. Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Pageau, Hoffman, Grant among others) which would interest a team in the beginnings of a rebuild
  • During his tenure and even before becoming head coach of Bingo, Richardson was a great developer of defenseman for Ottawa (e.g. Karlsson, Weircoich, Gryba and now Ceci) and Buffalo has two highly touted defensive prospects (Zadorov and Ristolainen)
  • Richardson is already living in upstate New York so wouldn't have to completely uproot his family

I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but I think Richardson would be a great hire and arguably a greater hit to the Sens than the loss of Murray (though we all know Richardson is leaving eventually).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well, it could happen, as I don't think Luke will stay in Bingo forever, and I think PMac is going to be our coach in Ottawa for the foreseeable future. Ideally I'd like to bring him on as an assistant in Ottawa, but natural progression of his job says that if he gets offered a HC job in the NHL, he's gonna take it.

PS. The sky is falling.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Why it doesn't matter:

1) Paul MacLean just won the Jack Adams and signed a contract extension, so he ain't going anywhere for a long time
2) Luke only has a few years of coaching experience
3) These guys - Dallas Eakins, Randy Cunneyworth, Kirk Muller, Guy Boucher - all guys who were "The Next Great Hire". I wonder how thats turning out for Dallas Eakins in Edmonton??

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Why it doesn't matter:

1) Paul MacLean just won the Jack Adams and signed a contract extension, so he ain't going anywhere for a long time
3) These guys - Dallas Eakins, Randy Cunneyworth, Kirk Muller, Guy Boucher - all guys who were "The Next Great Hire". I wonder how thats turning out for Dallas Eakins in Edmonton??

I think it's short-sighted to say it doesn't matter. Are guys like Ceci, Weircioch, Zibanejad, Gryba and Pageau the players they are today without Luke Richardson in Bingo? I don't think so. I'm not saying they wouldn't be NHLers, but I think Richardson has had a profoundly positive effect on all of them, which is more than you can say for most coaches.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Why it doesn't matter:

Not It would not be the end of the world but I would be more upset loosing Luke than Tim to be honest.

Luke would be failling in Edmonton as well.

I'm not sure why you say it doesn't matter on your first point.... Having a good coach to develop our prospects and within the NHL system is very very important.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Not It would not be the end of the world but I would be more upset loosing Luke than Tim to be honest.

I'm not sure why you say it doesn't matter on your first point.... Having a good coach to develop our prospects and within the NHL system is very very important.

This^^^

But to be honest id really idealy like richardson as the assistant coach for mac

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think it would be good for Richardson to make that kind of jump. It seems to me, the head coaches that seem to last and have good careers in the NHL have (mostly) all had experience as an assistant coach at the NHL level before taking the reigns.

The big question mark is, what does Luke want and where does he see himself in a few years? Does he want to be a head coach in the NHL? Does he even want to come back to this city?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think Murray will be allowed to find his own coach. Sounds like they're going to saddle him with Ted Nolan. Maybe a few years down the line.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

My point is that every hot AHL coaching prospect seems to fail. Most are set up to fail by taking jobs in places like Edmonton. The buzz on Eakins was unbelieveable and it was the same with the other guys I mentioned. However, as flawed as the Edmonton roster is, Eakins' tough guy act is 100% not working with these young guys. Randy Cunneyworth was also "the next big thing" and now he's a scout. The jury is still out on Kirk Muller, but, he too was considered the next great NHL coach.

By saying "it doesn't matter", I mean exactly that. Of course losing Richardson would be a blow, but really, just like Tim Murray, he is replaceable. Yes, guys are progressing well right now in Bingo, but I truly believe that if a Steve Stirling took over, things would be fine.

Again, same argument has come up in the Tim Murray thread. Bryan Murray has surrounded himself with good people all over the organization. We are blessed with great people and I 100% trust that BM will always find a capable replacement.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Why does everybody assume that if Richardson was poached it would automatically be (in this scenario) for Buffalo's head coaching job? He could easily be offered an assistant coaching job there where he would still have an impact on developing Buffalo's young players.

Bring Richardson up to assist Mac and he can learn the trade and eventually take over when a change needs to happen.

Because that worked out so great for the Sens last time :sarcasm:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
As was backed up in the interview LR had addressing this topic the other day on the radio i believe he will stay on with Bingo for at least a few more years whilst his daughter is finishing up school. Perhaps then he will look to make the move to the bigs.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
No way. Luke hasn't done anything to earn head coaching job in NHL yet. Assistant maybe but Tim won't be naming assistant coaches.
He hasn't even won a game in playoffs as a head coach on any level.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It would be great to see him stay in Bingo, but if gets an NHL offer and that's what he wants to do, there's not really much you can do but be happy for him.

I don't see any sense in worrying about it

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
>>Richardson has coached very well in difficult circumstances (injuries in Ottawa last year left the Bingo roster decimated also)

How so? Bingo was very average team once NHL season had started and were swept in the first round on home ice.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Bryan better rejecgt the promotion if it comes, and the best thing for Tim would be to leave the organization alone as he knows he already set it back a bit.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
As was backed up in the interview LR had addressing this topic the other day on the radio i believe he will stay on with Bingo for at least a few more years whilst his daughter is finishing up school. Perhaps then he will look to make the move to the bigs.

The salient point. He took the job in Bingo to be close to his daughter, that he's gaining coaching experience is gravy.

No way. Luke hasn't done anything to earn head coaching job in NHL yet. Assistant maybe but Tim won't be naming assistant coaches.
He hasn't even won a game in playoffs as a head coach on any level.

Friend of the Family to the Murray's, think he's Bryan's son-in-law or something. That gives him an in etc. with Tim.

That said, it's not a big deal if he leaves. The team badly needs an outside, inquiring look and evaluation of its prospects and future. Having someone that won't crumble when Bryan goes: "Tim, you're my nephew and I love you/Luke, you're my son-in-law, are you sure you're telling me Player X isn't good?" would be a godsend.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Bryan better rejecgt the promotion if it comes, and the best thing for Tim would be to leave the organization alone as he knows he already set it back a bit.

Like he is going to pull sentimental? I hope he has more balls than that. Once he's gone he has the right to offer anybody anything(within current rules) and I hope he does. That whats called good business decisions. He needs to do what is BEST for the Sabres.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Bring Richardson up to assist Mac and he can learn the trade and eventually take over when a change needs to happen. Hire Dominique Ducharme to be the bench boss for the BSens..... This is my wish.....make it so.

http://fredglick.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/make-it-so-captain.jpeg

Luke is in Bingo primarily because it fits with his personal life, his daughter goes to Cornell U about 50 miles from Binghamton.

I doubt Luke has any interest in going anywhere, at least until Morgan graduates.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Didn't he leave the position of assistant coach of the Ottawa senators to be head coach of Binghamton because if he's eventually going to be a head coach in the nhl he needs to be a head coach. Now he's going to do the opposite?

What's going on lol

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Didn't he leave the position of assistant coach of the Ottawa senators to be head coach of Binghamton because if he's eventually going to be a head coach in the nhl he needs to be a head coach. Now he's going to do the opposite?

What's going on lol

I'm sure a major reason Luke headed to Bingo was because his daughter was starting at Cornell.

It also fit into his long term career aspirations no question, but IMO it was to allow his wife and him to be closer to their daughter.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Pretty sure Murray is extending Nolan, so there wouldn't be a head coaching gig available for him in Buffalo.

Also pretty sure Richardson wants to stay in Bingo until his daughter has graduated.

We honestly don't have to worry about him bailing for a few more years.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I would hate to lose Richardson, but if we do I hope it is to Buffalo rather than the Laffs. It sure does seem like Carlyle is going to have a tough time making it to the end of the season over there.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
whenever the buf head coaching job turns over, i'd be very surprised if luke is not one of the candidates if he is available (ie. not a head coach somewhere else in the league)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00