Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stralman has been injured a lot in the last few years. Even if he's not missing a ton of games, he's giving B-grade performances (at best) for long stretches. I don't think we'll be able to keep him, given his reputation and given he's the ever-elusive RHD. I think some team out there is willing to throw a lot of money at him, and he probably knows that.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
That sort of injury certainly would explain his difficulties this season!

A sports hernia is one of the things McDonagh struggled with last season (along with recovering from a broken hand/finger). Mack was terrific this season and only showed some fatigue (or something) late in the season. So it is definitely something that Stråls can recover from and possibly be back to his usual efficient self by next season. Only question is if his age will affect any recovery time or amount.

Strålman was great at the beginning of the season with he and Mack making an excellent shutdown pair, especially when Heddy was out.

Since Cernak has such great chemistry with Mack, it's possible that Stråls can return to being a solid partner for Hedman until one of our prospects is ready. That is, if he's offered a short term at a good rate.
Thanks for the reply! Sounds somewhat hopeful. Let’s hope he makes a ”McD recovery” then!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's gonna good money on a short term deal, I think. Not from us.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I doubt he's coming back. The contract Coburn took and the role he's gonna have in it would have been passed to Stralman.

God this sucks he was one of my favorites. I'm gonna miss him

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
He wants to get one last "big" contract. Big is relative--I don't expect the $$ to be crazy, but could see him getting 3 x $4M. I think he will get a 3 year contract from someone.

Reactions: Iceman

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really think someone (not us) will give him 5. More about the position than anything. A lot of teams see their "last piece" as a solid RHD, which Stralman still is. And he's more than that when he's 100% healthy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Our defensemen weren't the weakness

I wouldn't say they were THE weakness but I really didn't like their play in front of Vasi. Particularly the D on the PK was just horrendous. Too many times I saw Blue jacket guys just standing right in front of vasi and nobody did anything. Yes Vasi was soft on some of those goals but I thought the overall d in front of him was a big let down for the whole series. Of course offense going dry, coaching, not being able to beat the trap also contributed huge to the sweep.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Without Stralman too? And how did that defense look against the Bluejackets?

Had it been Strålman a few years ago, then I would've agreed, but he wasn't playing very well last season, despite pretty much everyone on the team playing great (speaking of regular season). Whether it's injuries, age or something else I don't know (probably a combination) but that is why it feels easier to let him go. Great guy and he has done much good during his time here but it's not money we can or should spend right now.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't say they were THE weakness but I really didn't like their play in front of Vasi. Particularly the D on the PK was just horrendous. Too many times I saw Blue jacket guys just standing right in front of vasi and nobody did anything. Yes Vasi was soft on some of those goals but I thought the overall d in front of him was a big let down for the whole series. Of course offense going dry, coaching, not being able to beat the trap also contributed huge to the sweep.

The problem is our coach is an idiot. McDonagh and Cernak should have been getting every major assignment and playing 25+ minutes a night, instead we had some nights were Ruuta had more ice time than both of them.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The problem is our coach is an idiot. McDonagh and Cernak should have been getting every major assignment and playing 25+ minutes a night, instead we had some nights were Ruuta had more ice time than both of them.
I don’t disagree. But I think it’ll be harder to replace Stralman than most may think.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
OH my I thought the great cooper was the best coach ever in the history of the NHL on this board back in December

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Believe it or not but there is middle ground between wanting to fire a coach and thinking a coach is amazing
Like 85 percent on this board for the last two years refused to want to fire cooper. Now there all on board almost now. They should have fired cooper after this playoff result!

Reactions: ultra63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad