Recalled/Assigned: Anton Lander recalled / Beck back to BAK

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Lander is money in the bank. Now you have gm's zoning in on him a bit more, due to injuries of course.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Is Todd throwing him on wing with the center depth at the moment?(lol) Replace Pitlick.

poor old Slepyshev.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Finally - the FO% and PK sank like a rock immediately after Lander was sent down.

Dressing Cags and Beck while Lander and Slepy were sent to Bako was not icing our best team. Beck is career minor leaguer and Cags is a player who needs some seasoning in the AHL. Obviously he's getting a massive push because of promises made to get him signed. I understand that but it's not doing the team any favors in the short term. Get Slepychev up as well and play Cags mostly at home and on the wing where we can protect him and give him soft minutes if we are forced to keep him in the NHL due to contractual promises.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Finally - the FO% and PK sank like a rock immediately after Lander was sent down.

Dressing Cags and Beck while Lander and Slepy were sent to Bako was not icing our best team. Beck is career minor leaguer and Cags is a player who needs some seasoning in the AHL. Obviously he's getting a massive push because of promises made to get him signed. I understand that but it's not doing the team any favors in the short term. Get Slepychev up as well and play Cags mostly at home and on the wing where we can protect him and give him soft minutes if we are forced to keep him in the NHL due to contractual promises.

What is this? :shakehead Cagguila had a very strong preseason and hasn't hurt the team and in fact, has been a big positive the last few games. He's not in the NHL because the team made some promise to him. Too many ridiculous conspiracy theories floating around here with this and the Lucic/McDavid stuff.

Anyway, glad to see Lander up. I don't think he should have been sent down in the first place, he played his role well and the team has suffered on faceoffs and defending late in games as a result.
He'll probably sub in and out with Hendricks depending on matchups.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Cagiulla hasn't been an issues as of late.

As for Lander, like the callup. Even if he doesn't play I like him as the 13th forward.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
What is this? :shakehead Cagguila had a very strong preseason and hasn't hurt the team and in fact, has been a big positive the last few games. He's not in the NHL because the team made some promise to him. Too many ridiculous conspiracy theories floating around here with this and the Lucic/McDavid stuff.

Anyway, glad to see Lander up. I don't think he should have been sent down in the first place, he played his role well and the team has suffered on faceoffs and defending late in games as a result.

Thanks for clearing the Cagguila bit up for me. First time I've heard that. I agree with your Lander evaluation. He brings a needed element to the team as a whole IMO. Particularly with his face off prowess.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Lander was a great 4th liner when he was sent down.

He could play higher in the lineup for sure, but he's a legit NHL player that shouldn't need to be in the AHL.

He fell victim to a numbers game more than anything, but he is currently a better player than both Hendricks and Caggiula.

I kinda hope this is a pre-cursor to Puljujarvi being sent down.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

Caggiula has been better the last couple of games but he spent most of the time since returning from injury getting caved by real NHLers in terms of possession and results. He will be a good little player in time but he's not really ready and half a season in the AHL would have been best. Yes teams promise free agents ice time of various flavors to sign. Don't be naive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Caggiula has been better the last couple of games but he spent most of the time since returning from injury getting caved by real NHLers in terms of possession and results. He will be a good little player in time but he's not really ready and half a season in the AHL would have been best. Yes teams promise free agents ice time of various flavors to sign. Don't be naive.

Not sure why or how you can back this up. It's not like the kid is constantly struggling or anything. Lucic, Eberle, RNH and others have bad games as well so Caggiula having a few bad ones shouldn't be an issue.

I would've thought he'd been sent down when he returned from injury, but he's done enough for now to warrant a NHL spot. Not saying he won't be sent down at some point, but as of now he's been alright.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

Agreed. He was pretty good last game and did score a goal, but for the most part he's been a bit of a liability in his brief NHL career. Not that it's surprising, as most players are when they first enter the league, but let's call a spade a spade.

I'm glad to hear of Lander's recall. For all his struggles scoring in the NHL, he's been a very good penalty killer at this level for some time and his return should improve our special teams.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Not sure why or how you can back this up. It's not like the kid is constantly struggling or anything. Lucic, Eberle, RNH and others have bad games as well so Caggiula having a few bad ones shouldn't be an issue.

I would've thought he'd been sent down when he returned from injury, but he's done enough for now to warrant a NHL spot. Not saying he won't be sent down at some point, but as of now he's been alright.

He's never been a center and they played him there. His FO% is 40%. The team gives up a full goal more against than they score when he's on the ice - and his teammates are far better (and positive) in this area away from him. He's getting caved in terms of possession (corsi) and his teammates are also better away from him. He's not ready and a drag on team performance as misfit outlines.

Yes he skates about energetically and he has nice potential - but that is not currently translating into results on the ice in terms of points or possession. Been better the last couple of games and hope it lasts if they keep him up. A nice little player with good potential but he's not on the team based on merit above Lander or Slepyshev. Needs AHL seasoning.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I could see an argument for having sent him down to the AHL at some point but in his role, I don't think he has looked so out of place that you can definitively throw out the theory that he's only on the Oilers because it was stipulated in his contract.
It's not like Acton sticking on the roster which appeared to be completely based on nepotisim.

He earned a spot based on preseason play (do you deny this?) then got injured and took a while to completely recover from injury. I'd say that he's been a positive factor the last several games now that he's becoming more comfortable in his role so I wouldn't send him down now.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. He was pretty good last game and did score a goal, but for the most part he's been a bit of a liability in his brief NHL career. Not that it's surprising, as most players are when they first enter the league, but let's call a spade a spade.

I'm glad to hear of Lander's recall. For all his struggles scoring in the NHL, he's been a very good penalty killer at this level for some time and his return should improve our special teams.

Yeah I'm also relieved Lander is back. The November swoon pretty much lined up with him being exiled and our PK/FO percentages going into the dumpster. We kind of won in December in spite of a number of things the coach and GM were doing. Clearly our best lineup was not on the ice most nights.

Hope they get Slepy back up as well - the guy was not on the ice for a single goal against until the game before they sent him down. Sure some of that was luck but he also was very solid. He's big, skates well, has a plus shot and is not clueless in his own end. Feeding a rookie like Caggiula PP minutes and ignoring the potential of Slepys RH one timer being fed by McDavid is one of life's current mysteries in Oilerland.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I could see an argument for having sent him down to the AHL at some point but in his role, I don't think he has looked so out of place that you can definitively throw out the theory that he's only on the Oilers because it was stipulated in his contract.
It's not like Acton sticking on the roster which appeared to be completely based on nepotisim.

He earned a spot based on preseason play (do you deny this?) then got injured and took a while to completely recover from injury. I'd say that he's been a positive factor the last several games now that he's becoming more comfortable in his role so I wouldn't send him down now.

Sure he looked promising but preseason games against lineups full of scrubs mean only so much. He's been over-matched against real NHL squads most nights. As outlined he has not been helping until the last game or two - hopefully that lasts - but if he reverts then they have to send him down. We have games to win if we want to make the playoffs and this spring is not "development time" for a change.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
I'm still not against trying him out on the PP or with some talent on the wing.

Think it's worthwhile to give him one last shot at some point this year.

I would have left it later to call him up. Another 10 or 15 games. I don't see him getting another stint in the AHL with us. He's just going to be a 4th line nobody or a plug on wing the rest of the year. I hope I am wrong.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Good for Lander, once again he's proven without doubt that he's too good a player for the AHL. Now if only he could prove that he can fog a mirror in the NHL.

Sure his faceoffs are a benefit to some degree, but he simply has to start showing he can provide at least a modicum of offensive production in the big leagues. His disastrous 15/16 season (3 points in 61 games) lost him a lot of trust with a regime that wasn't around when he had his outlier 14/15 spurt of offense, so he's going to have to fight hard to keep himself from going back to Bakersfield.

To be honest I think in the right situation he could be a bona fide NHL 3rd liner, but his roadblock to that role for now is McLellan's mancrush with Caggiula, who seems to be a big fan of the kid and his competitiveness. While Cag's icetime has fluctuated along with his play, McLellan seems to like having him in the lineup and must see this trust in him paying off once they get to the latter stages of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad