Antoine Bibeau Discussion

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
We could see his NHL debut tonight against the Arizona Coyotes.

b57f1b0a-1618-48ca-9c5e-fa93afb4f7ec_TVASPORTS_WEB.jpg

Bibeau is an athletic goaltender who relies on his physical talents and reflexes to make saves. Largely unheralded for much of his junior career, he gained prominence after back-stopping Val-d'Or to the Memorial Cup in 2014 and has continued to progress as a prospect...His competitiveness, durability and emotional game are first-rate.(http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/antoine-bibeau/)

fjh0gUn.jpg

Bibeau has come a long way after being a sixth round pick in 2013. Last season, Bibeau split the starting goaltender duties as a 20-year-old rookie in the AHL. Although statistically speaking his play was wildly inconsistent from month-to-month, Bibeau showed that he could excel at the minor-pro level, finishing with 15 wins and 10 losses, and a 2.69 goals against average. Bibeau has good mobility for a goalie that stands at 6-foot-2, allowing him to combine athleticism with a big frame. Bibeau will return to the Marlies this season and look to become more consistent from game to game. (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...ll-transforms-maple-leafs-top-20-prospects/2/)

fjh0gUn

182140924019_MAPLE%20LEAFS_AT_SENATORS.jpg

Best Save (Filmed with a potatoe lol)

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Doubt he gets the start tonight.

Bernier has played well the past 2 games and there's a break of 4 days. Not likely to see him.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
it's a back to back and to say Bernier played well last night is subjective. An .857 save percentage and letting in 4 goals doesn't earn Bernier the next start imho. With all the injuries to our goalies by overplaying them, I can see them giving Bernier a rest and playing it safe.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Can someone give me an outlook on this guy? What are the chances he progresses into an NHL goalie or into a #1 NHL goalie? What will hold him back? I don't know much about him but I remember he was good in junior and I think played in the world junior tournament?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can someone give me an outlook on this guy? What are the chances he progresses into an NHL goalie or into a #1 NHL goalie? What will hold him back? I don't know much about him but I remember he was good in junior and I think played in the world junior tournament?

Nothing is impossible. He could become a #1 goaltender but it's pretty unlikely. He never played at the WJC's but basically carried Val D'Or to the Memorial Cup in his post draft year.

He's been really good with the Marlies, especially in these playoffs so far and he's really given the Marlies good goaltending.

I really like his mobility in net, he's got the ideal size as well. Very very athletic goaltender and will make a lot of acrobatic saves. He's fairly good when there's a lot of traffic as well.

What will hold him back will be consistency I think. He can get hot for a period of time but then get really cold for a period of time. He also tends to overextend in his net sometimes. That will come with experience and natural progression. It's hard to know if he will become more consistent as he develops.

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Nothing is impossible. He could become a #1 goaltender but it's pretty unlikely. He never played at the WJC's but basically carried Val D'Or to the Memorial Cup in his post draft year.

He's been really good with the Marlies, especially in these playoffs so far and he's really given the Marlies good goaltending.

I really like his mobility in net, he's got the ideal size as well. Very very athletic goaltender and will make a lot of acrobatic saves. He's fairly good when there's a lot of traffic as well.

What will hold him back will be consistency I think. He can get hot for a period of time but then get really cold for a period of time. He also tends to overextend in his net sometimes. That will come with experience and natural progression. It's hard to know if he will become more consistent as he develops.

Do you think he is on management's radar as a possible solution in the net in 5 years time?

What's the chances of him hitting his ceiling in %? Doesn't have to be crazy accurate, just want to get an opinion from someone who knows him fairly well as a goalie.

NHL #1 --%
NHL Backup --%
AHL#1 --%
AHL Backup --%

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you think he is on management's radar as a possible solution in the net in 5 years time?

What's the chances of him hitting his ceiling in %? Doesn't have to be crazy accurate, just want to get an opinion from someone who knows him fairly well as a goalie.

NHL #1 --%
NHL Backup --%
AHL#1 --%
AHL Backup --%

That's tough to answer. He's arguably all ready an AHL #1 goaltender at his age, so you can probably throw that out of the window.

I'll go with he's got a fairly strong chance to be a capable backup goaltender, maybe 40 to 50%? And a fairly unlikely chance of becoming a starting goaltender, so I guess under 10%?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
That's tough to answer. He's arguably all ready an AHL #1 goaltender at his age, so you can probably throw that out of the window.

I'll go with he's got a fairly strong chance to be a capable backup goaltender, maybe 40 to 50%? And a fairly unlikely chance of becoming a starting goaltender, so I guess under 10%?

Thanks for the input! Hope he gets a couple shots on the Leafs next year. I think he is and will be better than Sparks.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's likely the Marlies #1 goalie next season, with Kaskisuo backing him up. I doubt Sparks is brought back, unless of course they deal away Bibeau.

So next year will be the big teller when it comes to Bibeau I think.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
All three will duke it out at camp next year. Top two become the marlies duo, and the third goes to Orlando.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I really like him. I could definitely see him as a backup with #1 potential. I was blown away when I watched him perform and completely outclass my Mooseheads and their highly rated goalie (Fucale). In fairness I always knew Fucale was a tad overrated and a product of playing on a highly offensive team lead by MacKinnon/Drouin. But still, Bibeau was a wall and I hope he gets some games in the NHL next season.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
he's looked pretty steady in net so far this series against Albany can count on him to make a timely save to keep the Marlies in the game or ahead.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
He's likely the Marlies #1 goalie next season, with Kaskisuo backing him up. I doubt Sparks is brought back, unless of course they deal away Bibeau.

So next year will be the big teller when it comes to Bibeau I think.

Umm what?

If anything, Sparks is in the NHL next year. This is what we have right now

NHL:
Bernier
Sparks

AHL:
Bibeau
Kaskisuo

I don't see a reason to ditch Sparks, he's progressing alright, is still young and looking solid most nights. He also bounced around a lot this year playing in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Assume a legitimate or vet starter is being brought in.

NHL:
Starter
Bernier

AHL:
Bibeau
Sparks

ECHL
Kaskisuo

Starting the year with Bernier and Sparks is basically admitting its another tank year. Babock and the leafs management won't start another year giving the team and fans that impression.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

I'd say 30% number 1 nhl goalie, 70% backup. He's inconsistent, but his best games at the AHL level is better than reamer or scrivens imo, although I was a fan of both. If he's allowed to develop, I'd say the time would be to develop the consistency and mental strength more than agility or reaction time. positioning would take 2 more years imo.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Umm what?

NHL:
Bernier
Sparks

AHL:
Bibeau
Kaskisuo

I don't see a reason to ditch Sparks, he's progressing alright, is still young and looking solid most nights. He also bounced around a lot this year playing in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL

Hmmm that's a tough one.
I don't think sparks made a case to be a backup next year but he is a capable ahl goalie.
The fact bibeau is playing out the playoffs makes me think sparks is done.
He's not quick enough to set up for the shot in the nhl. He's there but not set and is like swiss cheese.
Maybe echl? Maybe not signed? That imo depends on kashmir.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Kaskisuo got the max ELC (for his age) with max bonuses.

IMO management thinks that kid could be very legit and as soon as next year could be the best goalie in the system.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

IMO management thinks that kid could be very legit and as soon as next year could be the best goalie in the system.

Yes but he will still have some ahl time imo. I can't see him jumping into a backup role right away. But hey I've eaten crow many times on these boards so maybe this will be one of those times?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

He will likely split time with Bibeau next year.

I truly believe they see Bibeau as the higher ceiling than Sparks and think that they will bring him along slowly. He's probably going to see a bit of NHL action next year, but think that he's going to be the clear #1 for the Marlies next year and I'm guessing that they're hoping that he plays at least 45-50 games next year.

That means a combination of Kaskisuo and others will fill in the other 30(ish) games.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Antoine Bibeau
Goalie -- shoots L
Born May 1 1994 -- Victoriaville, PQ
21 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 207

RECENT STATS

2014-15 Toronto Marlies - AHL
32 Games... 15 Wins... 10 Losses... 5 Ties... 0 SOL... 1 SOW...
*4 S/O's... .913 SV %.... 2.60 GAA.....
-------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
40 Games... 28 Wins... 9 Losses... 1 Tie... 0 SOL... 2 SOW...
*3 S/O's... .909 SV %.... 2.70 GAA....
-------------------------------------------------------------
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
5 Games... 3 Wins... 1 Loss... 0 Ties... 0 SOL...
0 S/O's... .914 SV %.... 2.69 GAA....

Shut-Out King: Antoine Bibeau 2014-15 Highlights - TML

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Umm what?

NHL:
Bernier
Sparks

AHL:
Bibeau
Kaskisuo

That's what people thought a couple months ago but Bibeau has stolen the net in the AHL playoffs and has done very well.

Bibeau success in the playoffs has made Sparks very expendable.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
That's what people thought a couple months ago but Bibeau has stolen the net in the AHL playoffs and has done very well.

Bibeau success in the playoffs has made Sparks very expendable.

Okay... want a history lesson? Rask.

Not saying he's going to be that good, but who knows, he's only 22. We can keep both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad