Player Discussion: Anthony Duclair

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I thought he showed us a lot of good things tonight. Mainly, Stamkos hit him with passes, which is something we don't see often from Stamkos. I mean, Philly was a trainwreck tonight, so I'm not putting too much faith in what we saw, but if Duclair and Stamkos develop any kind of consistent chemistry, we might finally, FINALLY, get TWO WHOLE LINES that are capable of scoring once in a while.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I thought he showed us a lot of good things tonight. Mainly, Stamkos hit him with passes, which is something we don't see often from Stamkos. I mean, Philly was a trainwreck tonight, so I'm not putting too much faith in what we saw, but if Duclair and Stamkos develop any kind of consistent chemistry, we might finally, FINALLY, get TWO WHOLE LINES that are capable of scoring once in a while.
There were two lines man! Two!! Pinch me I'm dreaming. I don't know whether to hug you in joy or break down crying that two lines were not a dream for one night

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah it's actually crazy because typically the other forwards that contributed were 1st line pieces or PP1 players. If we actually developed a second line, I'm not sure when the last time we had a legit second line scoring threat. It's usually just depth scoring from two way guys. Which, that's worked but seeing Stamkos and Duclair have an ounce of chemistry actually made me smile.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Didn't disappoint, knew about his speed but was caught off guard by how big he looked and his inclination to go to the scoring areas around the net.

Was also impressed with his forechecking. His defense is supposedly horrible and obviously we didn't get to see much of it yet, but most of the time his play without the puck should be pressuring the puck carrier anyways.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Ya know, I remember the days when it was a big point of discussion how we needed to find quality linemates for Lecavalier because Richards took Modin and St.Louis.

I wonder if part of Stamkos's problem is he just needs the right linemates. If Duclair "fixes" Stamkos he's going to be a priority signing this offseason.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I know it was only one game but if Duclair can help that second line score effectively then that takes a HUGE amount of pressure of the 3rd line. Hopefully it leads to more of what we saw vs Philly.

Reactions: DFC

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ya know, I remember the days when it was a big point of discussion how we needed to find quality linemates for Lecavalier because Richards took Modin and St.Louis.

I wonder if part of Stamkos's problem is he just needs the right linemates. If Duclair "fixes" Stamkos he's going to be a priority signing this offseason.
Stamkos always has to be carried to some degree. The fact that his obituary might as well read "Cirelli's linemate" is also telling of WHY he struggles. Dude just eats up space. And Paul? Dude has completely packed it in. Here's hoping Duclair keeps that spark

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos always has to be carried to some degree. The fact that his obituary might as well read "Cirelli's linemate" is also telling of WHY he struggles. Dude just eats up space. And Paul? Dude has completely packed it in. Here's hoping Duclair keeps that spark
Paul hasn't packed it in. He's not never been consistent in his entire career. He's good enough to look good sometimes, but not good enough to look good all the time.

With Stamkos... I don't think it's Cirelli, but Cirelli doesn't help. The one non-superstar he's ever gelled with is Killorn, and that was only in spurts. Which is extra odd, because Stamkos particularly doesn't do great with north-south players. But there's a chance that Duclair is enough of a 1-way guy that Stamkos will get a knack for him.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I get it. Stamkos is not a guy who can create his own offense, I don't know if he's ever been but he has so much window dressing it is easy to look past. His 5v5 game has deteriorated to the point that he should be getting bottom 6 minutes. Letting him walk this offseason makes a lot of sense.

BUT

It's very unlikely that happens, and that being the case there are ways of still making it work out great. If he takes a nice haircut on his salary and we put him in the right situations he's still a boon. Duclair may be one big step towards making that happen, if we can build a third line that can score goals I'm all for it.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Du is licking his chops at being the guy that can work with a future HOF and ride a nice contract because of it. I see great things ahead for both of ‘em.

Reactions: Rschmitz

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Paul hasn't packed it in. He's not never been consistent in his entire career. He's good enough to look good sometimes, but not good enough to look good all the time.

With Stamkos... I don't think it's Cirelli, but Cirelli doesn't help. The one non-superstar he's ever gelled with is Killorn, and that was only in spurts. Which is extra odd, because Stamkos particularly doesn't do great with north-south players. But there's a chance that Duclair is enough of a 1-way guy that Stamkos will get a knack for him.
I mean. Every last word of what you said is correct. The beef I have about Paul and Cirelli is both guys started their Lightning careers like gang busters. As soon as they got settled in its like either their skill was coached out of them or they just stopped trying. I'm not so much talking about scoring which (to the point you made) has always been streaky with both guys. And I'd be okay with that if either guy did ANYTHING of value when not scoring. Cirelli and Paul can both eat 2 guys on the wall or win any given puck battle, both can hustle to develop transition plays and race on the backcheck. But they don't even do that. They go out there with Stamkos and the game "just happens around them" exactly like Alex Volkov except these guys are in the right postion.

Now to TRY to defend Stamkos, he has been served leftovers his entire career. Yeah he "needs someone good to get him going" but he got stuck with Callahan whose go to move was a suicide pass into the slot to no one, Filppula whose go to move would be to pass to a guy who was about to be eaten alive in coverage (and probably pass on a breakaway too) Killorn whose go to move is to fall down. Before that was Purcell and at times Marchessault. In almost 3 seasons Stamkos had like 25 games with Drouin. Otherwise Stamkos had Miller and Kucherov for 1 year and spent it trying to be the smartest guy on the ice and going full Henrik Sedin instead of Daniel. That's his own fault.

But Duclair is probably the most gifted linemate Stamkos has had since probably Miller. It's crazy to think how often we don't consider Stamkos in almost anything

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Folks duclair is actually our Killorn replacement finally it was never gonna be sheary
Dylan Duke is the long term Killorn replacement. I see Duclair more of a Palat and/or Johnson type

Yeah it's actually crazy because typically the other forwards that contributed were 1st line pieces or PP1 players. If we actually developed a second line, I'm not sure when the last time we had a legit second line scoring threat. It's usually just depth scoring from two way guys. Which, that's worked but seeing Stamkos and Duclair have an ounce of chemistry actually made me smile.
2018: Gourde-Point-Johnson in the playoffs.

Maybe there was a better 2nd line in 2019 that I'm forgetting

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't agree with this - at least not the term "carried." He's a world class finisher. Always has been. He does need someone to create space for him and get him the puck. However, he's been tasked (and been the only one) to carry our 2nd line for 10 year. Obviously Cooper mixes things up and goes on stretches with him playing on the top line. He does have issues with gelling with linemates. On the other hand, again, he's been tasked to carry our 2nd line with a constant revolving door of linemates.

This is not about sticking up for all his shortcomings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rschmitz

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Good first game, but it was against an imploding Phili. Optimistic, but let's see how he handles the next few games.
Sure, but it wasn't exactly just Philadelphia imploding: they had just defeated Florida in a tight playoff style game in Sunrise. It was also a product of the Lightning responding to Cooper calling them out in the media and exploding out of the blocks at the start of the game, whereas the Flyers came out flat. Reminds me of the response in 2022 that the Lightning had in Game 4 against the Leafs and Game 3 against the Avalanche, just put them away quickly in those games

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Small sample size, but he’s been fantastic. Hope we can find a way to keep him but it’ll be difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00