Anson Carter unveils Alpharetta Sports and Entertainment looking to bring expansion team to Atlanta

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
If Winnipeg doesn’t work then I don’t understand how Atlanta works.
By my count, Winnipeg is working just fine. Attendance is sub-optimal, sure, but there are absolutely some deeper concerns about the economy in Canada right now. When faced with economical choices, people will do what's best for them.

In Atlanta, people just look at "two teams have left" and automatically assume it's because there was no support and the idea that hockey isn't popular or desired here, when that's anything but true.

You don't have to take my word for it, nobody does. Just wait and see.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
:popcorn: Which team are we talking about?

And after we do that, and there's 2 new teams at the bottom that are poor earnings and they start struggling because we "fixed" 2 teams, how are we fixing those 2 new problem teams?
Every year, it's the two lowest earning teams, whoever they are, will be cycled through other cities, for what ever the reason is for them not making bank like Vegas, Seattle or potentially every future team added in this way. I'd also demand their moving costs count towards the cap. No, it doesn't matter that moving venues, or cities, or states, or potentially countries, should factor into a teams popularity/profitability.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I do wonder what has changed in Atlanta since the Thrashers left that makes this market a 1st choice to get another kick at the old can?

Adding more teams makes it hat much more difficult to build a winner and certain markets will suffer more than others. It is a slippery slope but owners see $$ and the union sees more landing sports for players.

I think the fans lose out when a league gets too big for its own good.

Traffic got worse, so yeah, its gonna fail

• Haha
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
"Cortana, can you show me an example of the fallacy of everyone being 'above average' and how that might make a league incredibly unstable?"

Every year, it's the two lowest earning teams, whoever they are, will be cycled through other cities, for what ever the reason is for them not making bank like Vegas, Seattle or potentially every future team added in this way.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Cortana, can you show me an example of the fallacy of everyone being 'above average' and how that might make a league incredibly unstable?"
Honestly, I'm hoping that that response was sacrastic, because if it was serious there's something very wrong going on here.

Dec 29, 2004
For me, the Anson Carter group looks like the better choice. It's proposing a better location that is already serviced by a large public transportation infrastructure. Anson Carter understands hockey and has established connections across all levels of the the game, and just happens to be a minority, which will be a big plus for their application.

I am not convinced that Krauss isn't just in this for the free publicity that is being generated for his multi-billion dollar development.. Lest we forget, his is an empire built on selling undercoating and extended warranties... and probably in house financing.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
For me, the Anson Carter group looks like the better choice. It's proposing a better location that is already serviced by a large public transportation infrastructure. Anson Carter understands hockey and has established connections across all levels of the the game, and just happens to be a minority, which will be a big plus for their application.

I am not convinced that Krauss isn't just in this for the free publicity that is being generated for his multi-billion dollar development.. Lest we forget, his is an empire built on selling undercoating and extended warranties... and probably in house financing.

At this point, there's a lot more questions than answers.

But I do agree that Carter understands hockey. Krause was a Thrashers fan who has turned the franchise relocation into motivation to bring a team back to the area, but so far, there's really no word at all on who his investors are.

But with that said, I personally couldn't care less which one of Carter or Krause comes out of this as the team owner. I only care about a team returning to this market with a dedicated and passionate owner.

Reactions: GreenHornet

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
At this point, there's a lot more questions than answers.

But I do agree that Carter understands hockey. Krause was a Thrashers fan who has turned the franchise relocation into motivation to bring a team back to the area, but so far, there's really no word at all on who his investors are.

But with that said, I personally couldn't care less which one of Carter or Krause comes out of this as the team owner. I only care about a team returning to this market with a dedicated and passionate owner.
<iframe src="All In Crypto GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="356" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I'll name a few:

-Since the Thrashers left in 2011, the population of the metro has increased by 1.5 million
-Atlanta is the 3rd largest home to Fortune 500 companies and, since 2011, has added the HQ's or major hubs for Mercedes, Microsoft, Google, StateFarm, MailChimp, Norfolk Southern, and more.
-The Braves have provided a perfect case study for moving to their ticket base and providing an entertainment district. Their attendance has increased about 6-8K annually since the move and they are now in the top-5 in MLB
-Another good case study is the MLS team (showing a "fringe sport") which started since 2011. They have been #1 in attendance every year and has broken soccer attendance records.
mailchimp is indigenous to Atlanta… my buddy was like employee 20 and invited me to hang out in their suite at Philips for Hawks games in like 2012…. crazy how much theyve blown up

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Wish I could post in the old thread since it’s related to that original bid and development, and this is not related to Carter’s bid.

Great info here, in particular “To ensure longevity, there is a 30 year non-relocation agreement for an NHL franchise if they were to expand here.”

I also like how it’s an NHL exclusive arena.

Reactions: Duke749

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t see NHL expansion until, Arizona gets settled, could be relocation for Atlanta not expansion.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don’t see NHL expansion until, Arizona gets settled, could be relocation for Atlanta not expansion.
Would make sense. But would the league want to forgo all that expansion money? Guess it depends how desperate they want to get back into the Atlanta market. And really, it would solve two problems at once.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
You're probably right. It'll be interesting as Daly said yesterday that it's looking like the Coyotes will likely play in Phoenix next year no matter what happens with the land auction. In the meantime, shovels are ready to go into the ground in Atlanta.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wish I could post in the old thread since it’s related to that original bid and development, and this is not related to Carter’s bid.

Great info here, in particular “To ensure longevity, there is a 30 year non-relocation agreement for an NHL franchise if they were to expand here.”

Sold!

Do Houston and Atlanta at the same time, move Arizona to Quebec for lulz, profit immensely.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Would make sense. But would the league want to forgo all that expansion money? Guess it depends how desperate they want to get back into the Atlanta market. And really, it would solve two problems at once.
Yeah, bet they are pretty desperate to get back into the expansion money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You're probably right. It'll be interesting as Daly said yesterday that it's looking like the Coyotes will likely play in Phoenix next year no matter what happens with the land auction. In the meantime, shovels are ready to go into the ground in Atlanta.

Factor in plans/zoning/red tape/ it would realistically take 3 years from the time anything is approved for a new arena to be up and running with 22 or so months needed for construction.

So, looking at a 4 full years in Mullet and maybe a full or a partial 5th year if something happens quickly.
Coyotes did move into Glendate around half way through the season before the lockout in late 2003 or early 2004.

• Love

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And every Quebec team eventually ends up in the US.

Quebec Bulldog/Athletics (1917-1920) -> Hamilton Tigers-> New York Americans

Quebec Nordiques (1979-1995) -> Colorado Avalanche
That’s a reach but sure

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

This is worth a read. The plan is NHL first. And it looks like they want to emulate The Battery, which I think, is the best way to go.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Pretty funny how Atlanta is already ahead of Arizona with regards to an NHL-specific stadium, much less any NHL arena. Unbelievable how much time and leeway Arizona is receiving.

Reactions: MessierII

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
wonder what the Anson Carter Group's next move is? I do think Tony Kessler is the third potential party , which would be ideal given the superior In-town location and the news of Centennial Yards should create a Battery Type Atmosphere in that quadrant of Downtown that the OTP'ers bemoan of being too unsettling

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
wonder what the Anson Carter Group's next move is? I do think Tony Kessler is the third potential party , which would be ideal given the superior In-town location and the news of Centennial Yards should create a Battery Type Atmosphere in that quadrant of Downtown that the OTP'ers bemoan of being too unsettling
I have a hard time believing Carter and co. can catch up to the Kraus group’s progress. Kraus seems way further down the path

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad